Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times

Advertisements

JUST wondering if anybody could give a rough estimate on the ranges? How much money do u have to make in El Paso to be considered upper class, lower class etc etc.....

[ON A SIDE NOTE, I USED TO THINK, IF YOU HAD A CAR, AND A DRIVEWAY IN YOUR HOUSE, YOU WERE PRETTY WELL OFF. Back in the day, when i used to go to Bowie AND transferred to Burges, i used to take the bus, and pass through the houses along Edgemere and i remember thinking, damn these people are millionaires] lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
JUST wondering if anybody could give a rough estimate on the ranges? How much money do u have to make in El Paso to be considered upper class, lower class etc etc.....

[ON A SIDE NOTE, I USED TO THINK, IF YOU HAD A CAR, AND A DRIVEWAY IN YOUR HOUSE, YOU WERE PRETTY WELL OFF. Back in the day, when i used to go to Bowie AND transferred to Burges, i used to take the bus, and pass through the houses along Edgemere and i remember thinking, damn these people are millionaires] lol
That's a tough question.

The reason I say that is that some people have very nice incomes but they spend like crazy and live way over their means so are in deep debt. Someone might be living in what appears to be an upper class house, and drive an expensive car but they owe even for their underwear, yet someone making less money spends it wisely, even saves it up.

Some people who don't make too much live quite simply, have zero debt and a decent amount of money saved.

The other thing that makes it hard to go by income alone is that one family might have an income of $30,000 yet is having to come up with everything themselves, another may live with other family members and have no rent or mortgage payment so have plenty for the extras.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,946 times
Well back in the days it did'nt take much pending what part of town one lived in, yet El Paso had it's pocket neighborhoods with nice houses next to some not so well kept homes ya know, so like for my family my dad work at UTEP and my mom operated her own business so in our neighborhood we were considered rich, in fact some of the neighbors that lived down the street from us use to call us los ricos, the rich ones and myself when hanging out with the boys in the hood everytime I get introduced to a new comer they would always discribe me as the wealthy one of the group.

At todays poverty rate I would say that if your household (family of 4) make less than 30 grand a year that would be considered poor, and yet theres people that make alot less than that.
30 to 45 grand moderate poor,45 to 75 grand middle class, and anything over 75 g's your living it up baby.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 PM

105 posts, read 493,924 times
El Paso economic classification system:

Lower class=Tecate (no salt, no lime)
Middle class=Coors Light
Upper class=Shiner

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post
El Paso economic classification system:

Lower class=Tecate (no salt, no lime)
Middle class=Coors Light
Upper class=Shiner

I think it also goes like

Lower class=stay home and watch television
Middle class=monster truck show or rodeo
Upper class=opera or ballet

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

93 posts, read 309,339 times
Agreed with malamute's responses, but I think that applies everywhere not just El Paso.
Lonesome, does 75K really go that far in El Paso??? I should move back!! if I can find a job there that would pay me that.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

i guess im middle class, cuz i went to the monster truck show, bought all my kids souvenirs and went to applebees afterwards, and still had enough to survive till next pay day, [remember i have a gas guzzling 90 a week suburban], hopefully one day i reach opera status [lol]

Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
Agreed with malamute's responses, but I think that applies everywhere not just El Paso.
Lonesome, does 75K really go that far in El Paso??? I should move back!! if I can find a job there that would pay me that.
With 75 youll be living it up, the hard task in this uquation is finding a job thatll pay you that, unless, you work for the juarez cartel lol

Old 04-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Nah if you wanted to make 75 G's you would have to be in the medical field, X Ray Tech, Pulmonary Tech, electrician,etc etc, theres jobs in El Paso that pay this kind of money only you have to have the education and credentials for the kind of work.

Yeah you could also work for a cartel and probably make lots and lots of money, but none of this goes to social security so dont expect a pension when you hang it up or they hang you up.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
tomasvzqz, with 75 grand in El Paso, yes it goes alot further than if you lived say like in a place like San Francisco or New York City, now thats with one or two kids and alot more spending power if your single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: