Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,792 times

Advertisements

We are a military family moving to EP this summer.....I have a daughter entering the 6th grade and I am looking for a good middle school. I haven't heard many positive things about the schools in the area. Most seem to be way overcrowded and not very good. I am interested in both public and private. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
I've heard some good things about some of the "Magnet" schools --- but also some not so favorable.

There are a variety of private schools -- many affiliated with Christian churches (some require church membership, some don't). There's an umbrella homeschool organization that also has a school with individualized student plans. I've heard a number of military families use that and it gives them an option to homeschool or homeschool with tutoring and testing at the school.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Or -- I would suggest looking at greatschools.com website and get an idea of the feedback left on whatever schools -- they have them for private schools as well. Lack of feedback could indicate a school where parental involvement isn't up to par -- or the parents aren't internet aware.

I found some of the feedback left interesting -- and it gives you some idea.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:22 PM

Maybe it's greatschools.net

They have a lot of the information you might want linked. Sometimes it's the kids that give a rating, sometimes teachers -- but you can read between the lines on what some write.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times
I'd look up the 3 main school districts in the El Paso are:

episd.org...El Paso
yisd.net....Ysleta
sisd.net....Socorro

Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 PM

71 posts, read 346,397 times
Yes, check out the school districts.

I would say as long as you are in a school north of I-10 you should be ok. We did not like the Northeast at all, but you may find people that will tell you otherwise. In fact, we have friends that had school age children in the NE and they liked it.

Quite frankly, I could see sending my child to ANY school in El Paso. I have not had any bad experiences at all.

I have always been very involved on a daily basis and as soon as I saw that something was not right I would call the principal's office and get an appointment with the teacher and the asst. principal and discuss the situation. In El Paso (Ysleta District East Side) I have always been given the opportunity to discuss my problem immediately - within a day or so- and I have only had 2 situations. One in Middle School and one in High School.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,792 times
Thanks for the info......I am researching the districts and schools. I heard Hornedo and Eastwood Knolls Middle school are pretty good. I have also been looking at Loretto Academy. Anyone have any comments on these schools??

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,965,224 times
As a former El Pasoan, now Mississippi Native.. I can tell you the School systems in El Paso Suck in comparison. Loretto Academy was an all girl school at one time, but I think they changed that recently.. its a church run school, if that matters to you.

The Schools in the Soccoro District won the blue ribbon school award a couple years in a row, you may look into them.

In El Paso though its all gonna come down to what district you live in as to what school they will attend. Over crowding in the schools wont allow you to pick and choose.. not sure how you did it where your from but you'll soon see El Paso, is not like the rest of the country.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:53 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,594 times
Look into the da Vinci school at Redd and Desert Rd. This supposedly is funded by the Gates foundation. It was put together by Mrs. Burnham from Burnham Wood Charter School. Burnham Wood is now first through third grade. da vinci is 4-7 with designs to expand to high school. Our daughter went to Burnham Wood for first through third. It was fine until third grade when their program sort of fell apart in my opinion. The principal from Burnham Wood is now at da Vinci so I am not so thrilled with that development. Part of the problem is that they pay their teachers so low and it is hard to get good ones to come and stay. Also, their resources are limited so there are very few field trips, not many computers, etc. You pay extra for extra-curricular activities like music. This is a charter school though so there is no charge to attend.

The problem with El Paso schools is overcrowding. If they would enforce their own laws about prohibiting out of state and out of country students, there would be more opportunity for our children. We pay enormous property taxes while these students parents pay nothing. They are wildly behind on building schools. My daughter's school has about 2000 students. This is a neighborhood school that should have no more than about half this number.

It is a challenge with education here in El Paso. I am exploring all options including trying to lure a teacher to a home school setting and pay her or him a monthly amount to teach my child. If I could round up a few more kids of 5-7th grade I would hunt for a teacher. Middle school is so important. I am not qualified enough to teach my own child. I do view teaching as a profession.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM

248 posts, read 627,354 times
Smile looking for good middle school;

We just moved to El Paso in January. We were told the Tippin/Hornedo/Franklin school district was excellent, and we moved to that area. It is extremely overcrowded, but has a great reputation. However, I did decided to place my 6th grader at Loretto Academy. A little bit of a drive, but worth it. Low student/teacher ratio, excellent academics, wonderful atmosphere. Good luck!

Allison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso