Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 AM

15 posts, read 35,091 times

Advertisements

To me it is a persons philosopy that he/she speaks of and how releavant it is to life and living, learning and what he/she can teach someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But we are not.

We have equal RIGHTS. But we are not created equal. Some are taller, stronger, smarter, more athletic, better spellers, better looking, etc.

What the term "all MEN (it does not say women and children btw) are created equal" refers to is in the eyes of their government. Just because someone isn't as tall or rich or whatever doesn't mean they are less entitled to the unalienable rights.

Try not to confuse that with the fact of natural variation found in every species on this planet.
You're looking at humans by the terms of a government entity, I see a human (of all variations) as a divine, natural, being. People in power has always referred to all people as, totality, man. We are all equal. Of course the differences are inevitable, but we as a collective unit view these differences as division points, unfortunately. The difference-division complex we have as a people only furthers our stunted growth mentally. I'm not confusing anything with anything. The government, truthfully play on this fallacy of our understanding of each other as a people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't know if it's quite the conspiracy theory you suggest, but I do think there's truth to what you're saying. Many or most college grads aren't elitist. Many work in fields that do not require a college education, some even work blue-collar jobs. In the past, many college-educated teachers and nurses have married blue-collar guys. However, I think that's changing or has changed, as it's become difficult to find a decent-paying career without a degree. At the same time, I think there's a lot of elitist rhetoric, polarization, geographic segregation, and forgetting that we're human first, degreed second all going on. None of this is good because the non-college crowd is increasingly cut off from influence of those that have gone to college and are being increasingly marginalized. When college-grads and companies they work for largely cluster together, segregated to themselves, this also cuts off the less-educated off from spin-off economic activity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/us...pagewanted=all
It's not a conspiracy, just the truth hidden in plain sight, you're agreeing with me so I'm good with that. It is deep how this is played out and hidden almost to mock us. Though we're being shown how it really is and plays out... Through a myriad of means and ploys they're playing with us, not a conspiracy by the way

Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,512 times
I guess a true educated person is not only someone who finishes degree in college or had masteral or doctorate from one of the great universities in town. A true bloom educated person is someone who knows how to respect other people, respects other opinions and brave enough to handle each of the difficult situation that comes his/her way without harming anyone.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 AM

68 posts, read 163,871 times
I'd say an educated person who knows a lot about a subject. I know a lot about where continents and countries are... but I'm horrible at math. No one is perfect.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
You're looking at humans by the terms of a government entity, I see a human (of all variations) as a divine, natural, being. People in power has always referred to all people as, totality, man. We are all equal. Of course the differences are inevitable, but we as a collective unit view these differences as division points, unfortunately. The difference-division complex we have as a people only furthers our stunted growth mentally. I'm not confusing anything with anything. The government, truthfully play on this fallacy of our understanding of each other as a people..
If we are all different, that we are not all equal.

Maybe you should look up those terms.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
It's not a conspiracy, just the truth hidden in plain sight, you're agreeing with me so I'm good with that. It is deep how this is played out and hidden almost to mock us. Though we're being shown how it really is and plays out... Through a myriad of means and ploys they're playing with us, not a conspiracy by the way
I'm glad we agree.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Education is knowing what you need to know to live a happy life.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM

308 posts, read 896,731 times
Education is a matter of degree (pun intended). its not like you can be either educated or not, but you can be MORE educated and LESS educated, and everything is relative.

for example:

no high school diploma - "mooo"

high school diploma - "congrats, you finally proved to the society that you learned how to master basic repeatable tasks on your own"

bachelors degree - "congrats, you proved to the society that you are able to think critically and independently, and you are adequately able to meet deadlines"

masters degree - "congrats, you finally mastered a field of interest and now became a knowledgable subject matter expert, you are able to think strategically and on high-level. in addition you proved that you are going above and beyond of what is viewed as acceptable by society"

PhD degree - "congrats, you are sertified expert in the field of interest, you are able to conduct scientific research and now you can stretch the boundaries of what is known to mankind"

post doctorate - "you are a university professor and mr know-it-all fancy pants, the elite of the society"

sooo let's say you have a masters degree (i.e. in the top 10% of the Americans) - are you educated? yes, you are, but is a PhD more educated than you are on the subject? of course.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If we are all different, that we are not all equal.

Maybe you should look up those terms.
Elaborate please. I will say that you're looking to deep for an argument, the fact of the matter is that we're all at the core, Homo sapiens sapiens, scientifically.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Anybody that went to KU
People who know the difference in correct usage between the words "who" and "that" are educated.

....you use who when you are talking about a person and that when you are talking about an object....

Grammar Girl : Who Versus That :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education