Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Education doesn't only happen within the confines of an institution, so I can't say that an educated person is necessarily one who has X degree.

A well-educated person has done some traveling or has otherwise exposed himself to cultures other than his own, considers all possibilities (including the possibility that he doesn't know what he's talking about!), pays attention to current events, has lots of questions and actively seeks out answers, and can use his knowledge in real-life applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
" Education is not the mastery of one idea, but familiarity with all ideas."
^^^^

An educated person has a broad range of knowledge and understanding. Education isn't only about schooling, but about an interest in ideas.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 06-20-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
^^^^

An educated person has a broad range of knowledge and understanding. Education isn't only about schooling, but about an interest in ideas.
I actually teach my students the difference between education and schooling. It is important that they are able to assess the quality of the instruction that they receive, which is very heavy on worksheets and programmed instruction to raise test scores. I try to get them to look beyond their test scores to what they will need to be successful in college while the message that they receive from the school is that the state tests are all-important. If they buy into that message they end up under-educated.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I actually teach my students the difference between education and schooling. It is important that they are able to assess the quality of the instruction that they receive, which is very heavy on worksheets and programmed instruction to raise test scores. I try to get them to look beyond their test scores to what they will need to be successful in college while the message that they receive from the school is that the state tests are all-important. If they buy into that message they end up under-educated.
Good for you. I wish more teachers were so invested in cultivating their students' minds.

In my opinion, teaching to the test produces memorizing automatons who know how to give the right answers to test questions. It's not designed to promote the love of learning and the magic of intellectual curiosity and development. Sad.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I think that most with graduate-school educations can safely be called 'well educated' or even 'highly educated'.
I dunno about that. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,610 times
To put it simply, someone that is educated is an individual who has exposed them-self to a large range of information that encompasses various fields. Therefore, an educated person will be knowledgeable in multiple areas and most likely be specialized in some particular field.

Most of you guys are confusing being educated with intelligence. Applying the information you obtain through education demonstrates one's level of intelligence, while simply obtaining the information categorizes one as educated.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:39 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Another interesting definition is that one's education is really the measure of the ability to entertain oneself without a television handy.
PERFECT!

I would have never thought of this one - but this is exactly IT!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Living a life thinking balls count more than education tends to get a person into certain situations. Education is very often what keeps such necessary parts connected to your body.

Feel free to ponder that for a moment.
Another absolutely great answer - enjoying this thread!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
...balls count more than education.
There are other names for that too, such as, immaturity, imprudence, foolishness, folly, recklessness, shortsightedness, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Living a life thinking balls count more than education tends to get a person into certain situations. Education is very often what keeps such necessary parts connected to your body.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM

482 posts, read 944,842 times
It's a broad term, in my opinion. The most traditional meaning is being formally or officially educated as in having a diploma or degree of some sort. The other less conventional use of the word is for someone who has a breadth of knowledge about things in general and is able to convey that knowledge intelligently....but don't go by me.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

506 posts, read 958,114 times
I interpret it to mean that you went to institution of higher education, and completed your education there. You don't have to be educated to be smart, but it does teach you a very of knowledge that you may not be exposed to if you had not gone to a college. Knowledgeable on the other hand is a bit different. You can be knowledgeable without a college degree (self taught, reads lots of books, attend workshops, learn a trade or get a certificate, travel). They are two different things but simular. I guess being smart is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education