Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Hm, I thought this thread would get better and more widely outlined responses than those in the video.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,962 times
I have a brother who is genius, has degrees coming out of his a$$.

He remains the stupidest person I have ever met.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I have a brother who is genius, has degrees coming out of his a$$.

He remains the stupidest person I have ever met.
What are his degrees in? That might have something to do with it.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
pretty sure theres a difference between intelligent and educated, too

Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What are his degrees in? That might have something to do with it.

Engineering, electrical something something, blah blah bs bs....maybe even education as he's a school principal now.

LOL.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Why?
Because posters here have more time to think about and lay out their opinions, the topic of this section is Education, and one of the reasons people post in places like this is to be heard.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
pretty sure theres a difference between intelligent and educated, too
There's absolutely a difference between raw intelligence and education. A more intelligent person may have an easier time learning and becoming educated. At the same time, a less intelligent person can be more educated on a particular subject than a more intelligent person. But in that scenario, if the more intelligent person takes the same interest in the same subject, his education on the subject will probably surpass that of the less intelligent person.

That's not to say intelligence is everything. I'm not sure how to explain, but I do believe intelligence can be a liability. Many police departments (maybe most or all) perform a variety of psychological evaluations, including an IQ exam. Some candidates are turned away on the basis of a high IQ.

Google

Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Because posters here have more time to think about and lay out their opinions, the topic of this section is Education, and one of the reasons people post in places like this is to be heard.
Ah, an optimist!

" better and more widely outlined"

"More time," unfortunately, does not automatically translate to "better."

Indeed, I think that distinction goes very nicely to the question you've asked.

A common saying is Experience is the best teacher, but my experience has taught me that one has to pay attention to one's experiences to learn from them and that such attention is not nearly so common as one might like.

Anatole France said An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't, but to me it has seemed that having the ability to differentiate does not so often result in differentiating. There are a lot of "educated" people who cling to fiction and call it fact.

Yeats observed that Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire, but doesn't it seem that the fire was there to start with and that formal education ends up relighting a fire that prior education had helped to dim? I agree that it is not the filling of a pail, but perhaps it is the feeding of that fire at times, the clearing of obstacles at other times, and yes, occasionally relighting it - but, as with the guideline to physicians to do no harm, the prime directive to educators should perhaps be "first, do not put out the fires that are already there!"

My own answer, then, having picked on others' responses, is:
Quote:
Educated persons are those who knows how to learn; how to assess their own knowledge, understanding of that knowledge, and ability to apply that knowledge; and how and when to seek assistance at need when either ignorance or insufficiency of resources prevents them from accomplishing their goals.

Uneducated persons, then, are those who fail to meet one or more of the prior standards. Perhaps they do not know how to learn, or only know how to learn in a limited area. Perhaps they lack one or more of the assessment skills listed. Perhaps they do not know how or when to ask for necessary help.

I do not know that there is a hierarchy among those, nor even how I might determine such a thing. My surmise would be that as situations vary, so too does the answer of which area of education is the most important.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Ah, an optimist!

" better and more widely outlined"

"More time," unfortunately, does not automatically translate to "better."

Indeed, I think that distinction goes very nicely to the question you've asked.

A common saying is Experience is the best teacher, but my experience has taught me that one has to pay attention to one's experiences to learn from them and that such attention is not nearly so common as one might like.

Anatole France said An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't, but to me it has seemed that having the ability to differentiate does not so often result in differentiating. There are a lot of "educated" people who cling to fiction and call it fact.

Yeats observed that Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire, but doesn't it seem that the fire was there to start with and that formal education ends up relighting a fire that prior education had helped to dim? I agree that it is not the filling of a pail, but perhaps it is the feeding of that fire at times, the clearing of obstacles at other times, and yes, occasionally relighting it - but, as with the guideline to physicians to do no harm, the prime directive to educators should perhaps be "first, do not put out the fires that are already there!"

My own answer, then, having picked on others' responses, is:
I really like what you've shared. I think you will like this link:

"Education Is Not the Filling of a Pail, But the Lighting of a Fire" | Psychology Today

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I know plenty of adults who can entertain themselves just fine without a television handy, but they aren't even a little educated. Think about that one for a minute......
I think you misunderstood my point. It doesn't matter what your degree is. It's how you take what you've learned and applied it to things beyond the job. And are you a lifetime learner, someone who has the capability to continually learn new things without sitting in a classroom and scribbling out notes? To me, that's educated. In that sense, I've encountered lots of idiots with Ph.D.s and any number of smart, wise people with little else beyond a high school diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education