Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times

Advertisements

The terms 'educated' and 'uneducated' are thrown around a lot. I've created this thread to give others a chance to layout their opinion of what defines each. Please do. To start off, I offer a video I found on YouTube whose creators gave a variety of faculty, staff, and students at Augusta State University in Georgia a chance to answer the question "What is an educated person?".

We ask "What is an educated person?" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything one learned in school."

-- Albert Einstein

I like this quote. Very well stated.

I recently had an experience while selecting between contractors to handle the dirt work for a lake. One was a trained engineer and the other was a well experienced dirt-mover. The dirt mover, while certainly very competent, only has his experience to draw from. While there is no substitute for experience when experience is called for, it doesn't really help you with something you've never seen before. That's the value of education. A trained engineer, for example, can get a design right the first time more consistently than a well experience layman given that both are outside the realm of their respective experience - to me, that's what education means.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Anybody that went to KU

Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quite a few of the respondents in the video seem to have confused character with education. You can be formally educated, and lacking in character; just as you can have little or no formal education and be a person of high character.

Advanced education may possibly help some people develop a finer character, but it is not necessarily the usual outcome.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Isn't it political? If you're "educated" you like Al Gore. If you're "uneducated" you like Sarah Palin.

Or maybe it's what you drive. Hybrid or pickup truck.

And don't me wrong; "educated" can be a pejorative. Ain't that right, "college boy"?

Anyway, who cares? Character and balls count more than education.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Education isn't a storehouse of knowledge in one's brain. It is a mastery of learning itself, the ability to acquire information, analyze it, and then plan accordingly. That's why I have a big problem with so many career-training majors, for they teach people how to perform jobs rather than how to think.

Another interesting definition is that one's education is really the measure of the ability to entertain oneself without a television handy.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
you're going to get all sorts of answers because whoever is speaking will want to give you a definition that would render himself "educated"

Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
you're going to get all sorts of answers because whoever is speaking will want to give you a definition that would render himself "educated"
This is true. I remember back when online dating started one woman complained that although she had specified in her profile that she wanted someone who was educated, she was thinking college degree and she was getting responses from men with high school diplomas. They considered themselves educated. She did not.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Hm, I thought this thread would get better and more widely outlined responses than those in the video.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Anyway, who cares? ......... balls count more than education.
Living a life thinking balls count more than education tends to get a person into certain situations. Education is very often what keeps such necessary parts connected to your body.

Feel free to ponder that for a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education