Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I don't think a piece of paper(degree) is all that matters. Unfortunately we as a society believe college is so important. Don't get me wrong its important to an extent but you can be successful without it. I think paying for college is a scam but that's a whole other story lol.

Fine.

Next time you see your personal physician,tell him or her a college degree is just a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM

554 posts, read 683,569 times
My definition of an educated person = a curious and diligent collector of critically scrutinized and evaluated information and knowledge. Such a person, due to his/her developed critical thinking skills, is able to acknowledge their deficits in knowledge (none of us know everything) and is interested in seeking out views and opinions different from his or her own. He or she is also adept at rigorously vetting sources of data to determine credibility in accordance with the standards of good research science and practice.

Formal education in this country usually means a degree, but an "educated person" could accomplish the above without going to school. Additionally, this definition gives room to say that not everyone with a degree is educated. In my family of origin, the least amount of formal education attained by any one member is a master's degree and there are 3 Ph.Ds and an M.D. (out of a total of 6 people.) My brother (with a M.S.) and my 2 sisters (one M.S. and one M.D.) would not fit the above definition in the slightest despite having a ton of formal education. Are they formally educated? Yes. Would most people consider them educated people? No. Unless you consider living lives that center around the Kardashians and the Bachelor educated . During a recent Thanksgiving holiday we played a number of games as a family. None of the 3 of them could point out China on a globe, had any idea who Gandhi was, could name the 2 candidates from the recent election for vice president, or could name the author of The Origin of Species (particularly scary for my medically trained sister - who coincidentally, doesn't practice medicine, so at least there's that.) This might be inaccurate as I'm not a teacher, but it seems to me that most 4th graders could answer those questions (perhaps even younger kids.) Additionally, I've never seen any of the 3 of them get sources of information from anywhere other than Facebook and TV. So hopefully, I've provided a challenge to the assertion that anyone with a graduate degree is "educated" .

Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Isn't it political? If you're "educated" you like Al Gore. If you're "uneducated" you like Sarah Palin.

Or maybe it's what you drive. Hybrid or pickup truck.

And don't me wrong; "educated" can be a pejorative. Ain't that right, "college boy"?

Anyway, who cares? Character and balls count more than education.
One of the people I know is one I admire very much.

Dan was born in West Virginia in the 1930's where his dad was a coal miner who died early due to black lung. Dan quit school in 7th grade to get a job digging ditches (literally) supporting his mother and younger siblings.

Saving his money Dan finally purchased a used backhoe and started his own excavation business.

From the 1940's to the 1970's the business grew and if you've ever driven on an Interstate highway in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio or Indiana you can bet your bottom dollar that it was Dan's company that built a good section of the roadway.

At one time he had over 1,000 employees.

I went by his yard once, it was winter so most everything was there, and counted over 50 big Caterpillar bulldozers and these things are not cheap. On top of this you had dump trucks galore along with road graders and whatever else was needed to construct roadways.

Before Disney World was constructed he had the wherewithal and foresight to purchase 4,000 acres of land around the sleepy, small town of Orlando.

Totally down to earth you would think he was one of the equipment maintenance men by the way he dressed. He always wore a baseball cap that had grease on it.

Because he didn't have a diploma you were making the mistake of a lifetime if you thought for a second he was uneducated. He knew more about construction and contract law than most lawyers and he had one hell of a sharp mind.

Dan branched out and did other things besides roads and it was one of Dan's companies that manufactured the tracks on the Apollo rocket crawler under contract with Marion Power Shovel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-ehJlGM1Q

When Dan retired I heard from a reliable source he retired with a net worth in the nine figure range in the 1980's. That was a lot of money back then and not bad for a seventh grade dropout.

We all know people with ten times the education Dan had that never accomplished 1% of what Dan accomplished.

What kind of guts you got and what's your work ethic?

Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 PM

265 posts, read 238,903 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Living a life thinking balls count more than education tends to get a person into certain situations. Education is very often what keeps such necessary parts connected to your body.

Feel free to ponder that for a moment.
So I been to Mexico the poor parts and there were kids who knew calculus advance math programming and I suggested they should go to school and they said it's to expensive and there is no jobs. They were self taught read books but mostly programming as the work they got centered on that field for very little pay. I think that they are highly intelligent to be able to program English language and not even fully speak the language with no schooling. They also had labor skills such as farming raising cattle building homes and one of them was 9 years old I was very impressed and at the same time motivated to be more productive now.

For me an uneducated person is someone who can't comprehend and gives up. They don't take care of themselves have no goals and does not try to progress in life by at least working. They are not to blame maybe they need support guidance to learn and start the process of becoming educated.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
A lot of people on this thread seem to have forgotten that IQ is essentially set in stone by the time a person reaches age 10 and half of IQ is genetic. No person deliberately chooses to have a low IQ and have no better work options than low skill jobs. It's funny that many people that are so into "tolerance" when it comes to criticizing other things that a person can't control like race or sexual preference have no problem demeaning a person without a high school degree working in a coal mine.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A lot of people on this thread seem to have forgotten that IQ is essentially set in stone by the time a person reaches age 10 and half of IQ is genetic. No person deliberately chooses to have a low IQ and have no better work options than low skill jobs. It's funny that many people that are so into "tolerance" when it comes to criticizing other things that a person can't control like race or sexual preference have no problem demeaning a person without a high school degree working in a coal mine.
No, IQ is not set in stone at 10.

IQ Isn't Set In Stone, Suggests Study That Finds Big Jumps, Dips In Teens : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:
The researchers tested 33 healthy adolescents between the ages of 12 and 16 years. They repeated the tests four years later and found that some teens improved their scores by as much as 20 points on the standardized IQ scale.

"We were very surprised," researcher Cathy Price, who led the project, tells Shots. She had expected changes of a few points. "But we had individuals that changed from being on the 50th percentile, with an IQ of 100, [all] the way up to being in the (top) 3rd percentile, with an IQ of 127." In other cases, performance slipped by nearly as much, with kids shaving points off their scores.
There

Old 05-26-2020, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 13,990 times
In reality, someone's level of education can be completely irrelevant to their "uneducated behavior".

A surgeon or engineer can be racist as hell, regardless of how good they are at calculus or cutting open into someone's brain.

TRULY uneducated would be those who barely got through elementary school, though not having gone to college can be pretty telling as well. Some people are in this state because they have no choice - kids in Somalia can't just wake up one day and say, "I wanna become educated".

There are people with bachelor degrees smoking dope and having full-body tattoos. Yeah, they went to a higher institution, but it didn't really change their "trashy" behavior that much did it?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
Let's put it this way, if you have a Masters degree or more, no one is going to call you uneducated.
I guess this thread is alive again.

Unfortunately, I will have to disagree.

I run across members of other groups, ... Indians, Chinese, Russian, etc. that will claim somebody with a graduate degree from the USA is uneducated, because education in their country is superior, etc. and that all US programs are worse.

It's also not too uncommon for certain Americans to put down schools because of their lack of sporting and athletic programs. Examples include CalTech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Harvey Mudd, etc.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
The terms 'educated' and 'uneducated' are thrown around a lot. I've created this thread to give others a chance to layout their opinion of what defines each. Please do. To start off, I offer a video I found on YouTube whose creators gave a variety of faculty, staff, and students at Augusta State University in Georgia a chance to answer the question "What is an educated person?".

We ask "What is an educated person?" - YouTube

There is no singular answer. In general terms however I would classify an educated person as one who holds at minimum a bachelor's degree.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
My definition of an educated person = a curious and diligent collector of critically scrutinized and evaluated information and knowledge. Such a person, due to his/her developed critical thinking skills, is able to acknowledge their deficits in knowledge (none of us know everything) and is interested in seeking out views and opinions different from his or her own. He or she is also adept at rigorously vetting sources of data to determine credibility in accordance with the standards of good research science and practice.

Formal education in this country usually means a degree, but an "educated person" could accomplish the above without going to school. Additionally, this definition gives room to say that not everyone with a degree is educated. In my family of origin, the least amount of formal education attained by any one member is a master's degree and there are 3 Ph.Ds and an M.D. (out of a total of 6 people.) My brother (with a M.S.) and my 2 sisters (one M.S. and one M.D.) would not fit the above definition in the slightest despite having a ton of formal education. Are they formally educated? Yes. Would most people consider them educated people? No. Unless you consider living lives that center around the Kardashians and the Bachelor educated . During a recent Thanksgiving holiday we played a number of games as a family. None of the 3 of them could point out China on a globe, had any idea who Gandhi was, could name the 2 candidates from the recent election for vice president, or could name the author of The Origin of Species (particularly scary for my medically trained sister - who coincidentally, doesn't practice medicine, so at least there's that.) This might be inaccurate as I'm not a teacher, but it seems to me that most 4th graders could answer those questions (perhaps even younger kids.) Additionally, I've never seen any of the 3 of them get sources of information from anywhere other than Facebook and TV. So hopefully, I've provided a challenge to the assertion that anyone with a graduate degree is "educated" .
Pretty interesting post, although from 3 years ago....

I've met people in my lifetime who would match the above description--they are "formally" educated, but after closer inspection, there are real limits to their "education". It's almost as though these people just used college as a job-training program, but never really pursued knowledge for the sake of real learning, as opposed to just fulfulling college degree requirements. They can be frustrating to try to have a conversation with sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education