Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 PM

893 posts, read 795,625 times

Advertisements

Eat beans...........we'll make our own gas supply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,857,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't get it... it's just rice in short supply? What happened, was there a weak harvest somewhere, or a new rice-eating disease or critter? Why the shortage of just rice?
As Australia dries, a global shortage of rice - International Herald Tribune

Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,750,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
A small shortage led to a few countries refusing to export their harvests (to keep prices down for their citizens). This led to larger shortages, which led to rapid price rises, which led to hoarding, which led to a run on the stores, which led to price increases.....which led to news stories, which led to a big run on the stores, which led to more news. Tonight and tomorrow the stores will get cleaned out.
They can hoard all the rice they want, I hate the stuff.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
If you think about it, rice is a staple in most third world countries. The prices have spiked over the last year to the point where they cannot afford it. Haiti and Africa have it pretty bad because they don't produce most of their food..they rely on humanatarian food handouts.

We need to watch what happens though...corn is the next staple of third and first world countries and then wheat. All are skyrocketing in the commodity markets right now and those prices won't be reflected in our food until months in the future.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,788,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
If we continue to travel down the road of unrestricted trade, asset ownership, and access to our capital without balanced reciprocity then we are setting our country up on a path to irrelevance in the world market.
I think you made a very good point.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,164,839 times
It seems that certain types of rice are getting more expensive/harder to get. For example at Costco today I noticed Jasmine rice was out, which is of course odd for Costco. But they had plenty of calrose and it was still cheap.

I don't think this is going to effect most americans. There is plenty of the standard long grain white rice people eat here. Asians seem to be stocking up big time on Jasmine etc though.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,173,785 times
Wait until the world is fighting over clean drinking water. Anyone ever read "Dune?"
Seems as if it it will come to pass just as "1984" has.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,164,839 times
Quote:
Wait until the world is fighting over clean drinking water.
Don't know if you have noticed but the planet is mostly water. You can make ocean water drinkable with rather simple technology (I mean you can do it in your backyard...) so I don't know what the fight is going to be about.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM

823 posts, read 2,218,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Don't know if you have noticed but the planet is mostly water. You can make ocean water drinkable with rather simple technology (I mean you can do it in your backyard...) so I don't know what the fight is going to be about.

It may be "rather simple" but it is also "rather expensive". Right now the energy costs of desalinization is prohibitive unless you are somewhere that oil costs less than water (like Saudi Arabia). And then you have the issue of what to do with the by product (aka the salt you are removing). It is not a simple solution at all.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,857,648 times
Peak water?

The Oil Drum | Peak water in Saudi Arabia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics