Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,047,439 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the Mexican oilfields have peaked. Just in time for the North American Union in 2010. Won't that be fun, no more borders with Mexico & Canada?

Brazil announced yesterday that it was halting all rice exports. If you go to any of the sites that sell survival foods most have a 6 week wait to fill your order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,409,147 times
Why is everyone so hell bent on predicting some 2010 North American Union? I am not saying it won't happen (never looked into it). Just seems that everyone thinks there will be some E.U. sort of setup over here.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,291,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Why is everyone so hell bent on predicting some 2010 North American Union? I am not saying it won't happen (never looked into it). Just seems that everyone thinks there will be some E.U. sort of setup over here.
I think the end game of it all is that we're all going to be one country/nation/planet, etc... tied economically, politically, etc. Of course, this is hundreds of thousands of years from now. When we're in space , and have had alien contact.

Until then, I think it's a long, long time till the whole North American continent actually gets along. Americans have way too many issues with our buddies in the South and are way too fearful of opening our borders to anybody. We have the largest military in the world for a reason.

-chuck22b

Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,873,805 times
I've heard Brazil just found another oil field off shore.

Oil....saltwater....rice....

If we could toss in a little saffron and some pine nuts....

Risotto, anyone?
http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/01/03/risotto-clams-ck-226385-l.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,587,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Because the government is pushing for it, Bush in particular. Check out spp.gov, it's a propaganda site for the thing. And now NAFTA is being talked about, expanding it...

Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,892,658 times
There isn't a food shortage in the United States. If you would have looked at history you would know that the US hasn't experienced a food shortage since the great depression. Actually a lot of the food we do produce is exported.

If worse comes to worse you will have a lot of residential land that can be converted to farming (ie. your front lawn).

Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,409,147 times
i agree with killer

We are already seeing a explosion in urban farming

Old 04-26-2008, 08:10 AM

749 posts, read 2,779,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
I think the end game of it all is that we're all going to be one country/nation/planet, etc... tied economically, politically, etc. Of course, this is hundreds of thousands of years from now. When we're in space , and have had alien contact.

Until then, I think it's a long, long time till the whole North American continent actually gets along. Americans have way too many issues with our buddies in the South and are way too fearful of opening our borders to anybody. We have the largest military in the world for a reason.

-chuck22b

They already are!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,079,455 times
The rice shortage in the US has more to do with panicky people than any real shortage but the effect is the same either way. Where I live, there is a substantial Asian population. My Inlaws seem to be closely related to half of China so I can see this phenomenon from the inside while maintaining an objective point of view...sort of. Every time the wind shifts, Chinese immigrants run to Costco to hoard rice. I can't say I can blame them since those over 40 lived through one of the worst famines in world history. In the late '60s an estimated 20 million people literally starved to death in China. Though I can see it from their point of view, I also realize that it's the paranoid hoarding that's causing the shortage in the first place. In short there's plenty of rice but it's all piled up in people's living rooms.

However, it's an indication of things to come. There are too many people on this planet already and they're reproducing at an alarming rate. At some point we will either have do some serious population reduction or we'll have to start eating each other. Anyone remember "Soylent Green?" The bottom line is that already there isn't enough food for the people that are already here. 50 years ago, they expected to colonize and terra-form Mars to feed our growing population by 2010 but reality shows us that such is unlikely for a thousand years or so. Since we seem to be so inclined to use our resources to fight wars for resources, the funding for such star-trekking is unlikely to ever happen.

Some folks are under the impression that they can run to the wilderness and hunt or fish for survival. Though fish is a wonderful source of nutrition, we can only eat it once a week or risk ingesting lethal levels of mercury. Hunting sounds great till you've got 100 million other people with the same idea.

Here we are with rapidly shrinking water tables, we're running out of oil, and now the food supplies are just beginning to run low. To top it all off, people are living a lot longer. Scientists were telling us a hundred years ago that this was going to happen but nobody would listen and we went on with business as usual. Now we're pretty much hosed. We do indeed live in interesting times. Suddenly people are all concerned about being green and saving the planet. Well, global warming is the least of our worries and there's not a lot than be done about it at this point anyway. Too little, too late.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,543,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Here we are with rapidly shrinking water tables, we're running out of oil, and now the food supplies are just beginning to run low. To top it all off, people are living a lot longer. Scientists were telling us a hundred years ago that this was going to happen but nobody would listen and we went on with business as usual. Now we're pretty much hosed. We do indeed live in interesting times. Suddenly people are all concerned about being green and saving the planet. Well, global warming is the least of our worries and there's not a lot than be done about it at this point anyway. Too little, too late.
The only real question in my mind is where, how, and how soon the die down begins. I think it will be a lot sooner than people think. My personal prediction is that by 2030, the world population will be less than it is now--maybe a LOT less. World population really exploded when the "Green Revolution" began in farming and agriculture technology after World War II and took hold worldwide--espoused and promoted heavily by the United States. The problem with that technology is that it basically embraced non-renewable petroleum and mineral resources to achieve the spectacular increases in food production. That has not changed one iota in all of the decades since--and now those finite resources are being rapidly depleted. In short, all of the population increase that all of the extra food production enabled was a one-shot deal made possible by the massive use of non-renewable resources.

21st century wars are going to be all about controlling and acquiring resources. People in the conquered places will be seen as nothing but a liability, so 21st century war will also be about killing--killing as many of the "enemy"--including civilians--as quickly and expediently as possible. It will be vicious, inhumane, and deadly at a scale never seen in history. We have procreated ourselves into upcoming large-scale death and violence within a huge segment of our own species. And we think we are "intelligent?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics