Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,560,349 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day about someone's opinion on dog viciousness, and here's some of my thoughts.

Viciousness and mean tendencies are not a genetic element anyone can breed. It a learned behavior. The sweetest dog in the world can become the most dangerous depending on it's enviroment and what drives it. Dog, cat, bird, human, one must chose to be aggressive, taught to be aggressive, or respond from something to be aggressive.

Fighting dogs where not bred for aggression, they bred for their muscle structure, their body stature, quick reponse, strong personalities, etc. Someone before said, if a dog was human-aggressive, it was destroyed.

Nonetheless, sometimes, we just can't explain a dog's irrational behavior in attacking another being. It's the same problem we have with critical injuries, even fatalities in a vehicle collision. We ask, why??? Why did he have to die? Why did she have to lose her ability to walk?? Why did my dog have to die/my child have to suffer at the paws of a dog? To ease our pain, we try and quickly find things to point fingers at without asking all the questions. I totally simpathize all those who have had to deal who are the people who trully believe that pitbull breeds are the thing of satan? Are they the victims? Or, are they the ones who actually don't endure the situation, but are looking from the outside? Reading what the media says they are? (can we all agree you can never really trust the media's opinion?)

In my opinion, a dog can be vicious, an entire breed can not.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingme View Post
I highly doubt you can attest to how these dogs were treated unless you are their owner. Are you? How do you know they were well cared for pets? Were the dogs spayed and neutered? UTD on vaccinations? Obedience trained? Did they have their CGC award?

The fact that these dogs got out of their enclosure is the OWNER'S fault. If they were irresponsible in this instance, it's likely they were irresponsible in other areas.

PIT BULLS DO WERE NOT BRED TO ATTACK HUMANS, THEY WERE NOT BRED TO ATTACK FOR NO REASON. If you are going to make statements like these educate yourself about the breed's history.

*sigh*
There was an investigation done, from all accounts of neighbors and veterinary records the dogs were well cared for. They were bred to attack, as they were bred as fighting dogs. They were bred for high aggression. I have read about the breed's history and I know people who own them, and don't fear them. But I will never trust them as a breed because they are too prone to attack with no warning or cause.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,560,349 times
I like to reiterate that my messages are thoughts and opinions. I'm am the first to admit I'm no master of knowledge. I just try and use common sense. And as far as what we all feel about breeds. If a person just doesn't like a breed. That's their choice and I totally respect that. I personally can't stand golden retrievers because they are too needy and slobery! But, I would never shy away from someone's dog or tell someone else their dog is horrible just because I don't prefer it, ya know?

I'm glad everyone is really trying to research this stuff. Keep learning everyone! I am being educated even more...but I still love pitbulls and think they are beautiful dogs!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM

43 posts, read 148,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
There was an investigation done, from all accounts of neighbors and veterinary records the dogs were well cared for. They were bred to attack, as they were bred as fighting dogs. They were bred for high aggression. I have read about the breed's history and I know people who own them, and don't fear them. But I will never trust them as a breed because they are too prone to attack with no warning or cause.

If you knew the breed's history you would not be saying the things you are.
They were not bred for "high aggression" they were originally bred for "gameness". They were bred with the drive to never quit. Many of the old dogmen's champions were family dogs that coexisted with other dogs in the house, but when put in a ring, would fight until their owner stopped the match, or they lost their life. I mean, how in the world could these dogmen hold a match unless they knew the dogs would not bite them?

I guess my point here AGAIN, is the Dog Aggression is a completely different thing than Human Aggression. Ask your Veterinarian, ask a Dog Behaviorist....they are not "prone to attack with no warning or cause".

Dog Aggression isn't a big deal to me, it happens in every breed, if you are a responsible owner you have nothing to worry about.

I guess you just can't reach them all, I'm sorry that you're afraid of the Bully Breeds, they have made my life that much better.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Pitbulls and Staffs are for certain people only, just as rat dogs are for certain people only. Pits and Staffs, although they are couch potatoes, they have HIGH energy levels and need to be played with. You need to be a strong master, at home and on the leash so you stay in control.

Irishmom, i think it may have more to do with them being a muscular breed and what the can (might) do in your case. If that is the case than thats fine, its best to stay away from a dog you cannot control. I often get worried when i see 90lb girls being dragged along by Pits, not saying they cant control them, because i know a few can. What ever fits a person fits. Im an overweight person who needs to be walked myself, and I am strong and have experience with Staffs, thats why theyre my #1 Choice.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 PM

I was just posting the story about the boys because I find it profoundly sad and I think you need to use caution if you own this breed of dog. And everthing I've read said they were bred as fighting dogs not gaming dogs and they are known for their aggressive behavior. Yes the agression is towards other dogs, but anyone who has had a dog knows that sometimes dogs don't see children as people...they treat them like dogs. You can say that is because they aren't trained right, but if the dog acts fine at home and then all of a sudden attacks a child how would you have trained it differently if you didn't know their was a problem in the first place? Maybe your research is better point me in the direction and I'll gladly read it. But they are known to be very protective of their property and people (as other breeds that I don't reccommend to be family pets are) and will attack people. Who knows maybe these boys who played there each day were a few feet closer than they usually are and that set the dogs off...but in any case they are now laying in a hospital scarred for life.

I'm not arguing just giving my opinion. Like I said I have met many pit bulls and never had a problem with them. I just don't trust them not to show unwarranted agression, and like BrianH said they are very strong animals...they can do great damage if they do attack. I just think that people who own this breed need to be extrememly cautious about them. I do not support banning the breed, but I do think regulating it would be a good idea. Make it mandatory to obtain professional training would be a start. Not yarding them unsupervised also. I don't know but every time I hear of someone losing a dog to an attack or a child getting mauled I think there needs to be a change. The fact is there are a lot of stupid people owning dogs so you can't just say with proper training....because not every dog will ever get proper training.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 PM

43 posts, read 148,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I was just posting the story about the boys because I find it profoundly sad and I think you need to use caution if you own this breed of dog. And everthing I've read said they were bred as fighting dogs not gaming dogs and they are known for their aggressive behavior. Yes the agression is towards other dogs, but anyone who has had a dog knows that sometimes dogs don't see children as people...they treat them like dogs. You can say that is because they aren't trained right, but if the dog acts fine at home and then all of a sudden attacks a child how would you have trained it differently if you didn't know their was a problem in the first place? Maybe your research is better point me in the direction and I'll gladly read it. But they are known to be very protective of their property and people (as other breeds that I don't reccommend to be family pets are) and will attack people. Who knows maybe these boys who played there each day were a few feet closer than they usually are and that set the dogs off...but in any case they are now laying in a hospital scarred for life.

I'm not arguing just giving my opinion. Like I said I have met many pit bulls and never had a problem with them. I just don't trust them not to show unwarranted agression, and like BrianH said they are very strong animals...they can do great damage if they do attack. I just think that people who own this breed need to be extrememly cautious about them. I do not support banning the breed, but I do think regulating it would be a good idea. Make it mandatory to obtain professional training would be a start. Not yarding them unsupervised also. I don't know but every time I hear of someone losing a dog to an attack or a child getting mauled I think there needs to be a change. The fact is there are a lot of stupid people owning dogs so you can't just say with proper training....because not every dog will ever get proper training.
I apologize if I came down to hard on you, I just get frustrated sometimes.

When I get home this evening I will find some great links for you if you're interested.

If you do look into it you'll see that actually pit bulls make horrible guard dogs! Anyone could break into my house and steal my dogs and they'd jump happily into their car.

Breeds like Dobermans, Rottweilers, Mastiffs are guardian breeds. They were bred to guard their property or owner, in fact Human Aggression is a trait that is acceptable in these breeds.

When you hear about a pit bull that is being human aggressive they have an irresponsible owner who should have euthanized the dog at the first sign, I certainly would euthanize one of mine if they showed aggression to a human.

Lastly, dogs have a keen sense of smell, they absolutely know the difference between a dog and a child.

About the story of the boys being attacked, I did not mean to be unsympathetic, I feel horrible for them, it's just that the blame needs to lie on the other end of the leash, the people. I hope those dogs were euthanized immediately.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

The AKC and the British Kennel Club states that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier makes a terrible guard dog because if its affection towards people. By that they mean real pets that is, any dog can be trained as a guard dog. But my current Staff, and even Denzel back in Ireland, never even barked when people came into the yard. UPS arent even afraid of Dakota, and they wouldnt come in the yard when I had my Lab / Retreiver mix.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet...ll_Terrier.htm This site rates the as good guard dogs which most others dont, but its a pretty good description of the breed.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Staffordshire_...Review_5418819 This site has a good description too, and heres a good quote
Quote:
Staffordshire Bull Terriers are a friendly breed and although they can be a great deterrent as a guard dog and will bark like most dogs when the door knocks, they are not a true Guard dog breed like a Dobermann and in my experience are more likely to lick an intruder into submission. How friendly they are becomes evident on their first walks out when they want to say hello to everyone they meet.
I am in the process of setting up a Staff / Amstaff website myself and will gladly let anyone see it.

Last edited by BrianH; 05-03-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Linkys

Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The AKC and the British Kennel Club states that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier makes a terrible guard dog because if its affection towards people. By that they mean real pets that is, any dog can be trained as a guard dog. But my current Staff, and even Denzel back in Ireland, never even barked when people came into the yard. UPS arent even afraid of Dakota, and they wouldnt come in the yard when I had my Lab / Retreiver mix.
Labs are notorious barkers, and when they bark at someone their scruff will go up...their tail will be wagging and most likely they just want to lick you to death but it's very scarry looking all the same.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM

I agree. I chose a Staff over a house alarm. A house alarm brings attention to my house when nobody else has one. I was kinda hoping he might bark when someone comes to the door, but he hasnt. Oh well lol. A bark is a great deterent for anybody wanting to break in.

BTW, my Lab / Retriever mix was put down because he was waaayyy to agressive, tried to bite my friends two kids in the face, i was working with him but couldnt get him to stop it with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs