Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet12 View Post
I did a little math and found the same thing. Most commercial dog poop bags (even discount/store brand/ordering online in bulk etc) are about 7 cents per poop. 6 poops a day (wow!) and that's 42 cents/day. That's $153.30 per year, just to pick up poop.

What I've found to be most cost effective is ordering bulk fruit/veggie bags (like you see in the produce section of the supermarket). These I can get to just under 1 cent per poop. With your frequency that's only 6 cents/day or $21.90 per year. Much more reasonable!

For us, the difference was more like $51.10 per year vs. $7.30 with the veggie bags at only two poops per day.

One thing to remember, if you order in bulk--you'll have bags for years. We ordered 4 rolls and are going on 2.5 years with them now.
I don't spend money on poop bags. I usually use bags left over from grocery shopping. They also have poop bags available in the walkways of our apartment complex. In the past, I've used old newspapers/circular ads because I'm also one of these faux green freaks and newspaper is more biodegradable.

But yeah. Point is, I don't see it as a worthy expense, especially when there are a plethora of other things I could use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,907,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I don't spend money on poop bags. I usually use bags left over from grocery shopping. They also have poop bags available in the walkways of our apartment complex. In the past, I've used old newspapers/circular ads because I'm also one of these faux green freaks and newspaper is more biodegradable.

But yeah. Point is, I don't see it as a worthy expense, especially when there are a plethora of other things I could use.
Same here I use left over grocery bags.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Some options:

Baby diaper "sacks" with handles $.04 Amazon.com: Sassy Baby Disposable 200 Counts Diaper Sacks: Baby

Baby diaper sacks with handles 75 count for $1.00 NOT KNOWN TO BE STURDY

Bulk Disposable Diaper Bags, 75-ct. Boxes at DollarTree.com

ebay store: One of her auctions, for example, was 612 bags (36 rolls) for $20, free shipping. Free dispenser included too. That's $0.56 per roll (17 bags per roll).

items in lynnx4379 store on eBay!

Dog Poop Bags dot com: Several options - Large sturdy dog bags with handles, if you're a pet sitter with a code you get a further discount. They are reliable and no defects. $.03

EZ Tie Handled Bags - Case of 2000 - Click for Qty Discounts [HB2000] - $65.95 : DogPoopBags.com, 100 Degradable Bags Shipped $8.99

Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
I know this is an old thread but im still reeling at 6 poops a day...I dont even think my goats poop that much and they are realy good at pooping!
and can you imagine how much junk must be in the food that dog has to be eating enough to produce that much "leftovers"?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
I reuse produce bags and other similar bags such as ones newspapers come in.

Also, a large Ziploc works.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
We have small dogs and use the longish plastic newspaper bags when we walk them - and even better than that, we knot the open end and cut it in the middle and voila! - 2 bags! They are small dogs and their poop is small. In the past, we've bought them at Marshalls, Home Goods and TJMaxx, we still have some left and they're very reasonable (more so than PetCo or PetsMart) but the newspaper bags are definitely the most economical and convenient, lol (same w/ empty grocery bags).

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I know this is an old thread but im still reeling at 6 poops a day...I dont even think my goats poop that much and they are realy good at pooping!
and can you imagine how much junk must be in the food that dog has to be eating enough to produce that much "leftovers"?
Right? Whenever I had a customer buying dog food in my store I could always tell the Science Diet dogs. After the customer mentioned the ENORMOUS SIZE and frequency of the stool. Now just imagine the ones who fed grocery food. THOSE dogs were the ones stealing butter off the table LOL.

I had to put a chart up on the facings with PER POUND prices since people can't do math and explain OVER AND OVER how they'll eat less on a better food and produces less stool thereby it's cheaper.

They'd look at me like I was nuts when I explained "Your dog doesn't really LOVE Kibble and Bits, she's eating so MUCH of it because it's not giving her the nutrition she needs and she's not absorbing the food". Then they'd not understand a word the vet said about novel proteins. And run in the grocery store and grab whatever had the word "lamb" on the label and wonder why the allergies didn't go away.

LONG time consuming sales pitch on an item with essentially NO margin for a business. I refused to even carry Science Diet even though there were die hard lovers of it. They demand TWELVE linear feet of space ceiling to floor that I just wasn't willing to give up.

This is why I always say people have no CLUE why vets carry a food product. People are intellectually lazy and HARD HEADED and the vet has to at least have ONE FOOD to go to when they need it. There is NO MARGIN carrying dog food in a business. It's virtually a loss leader. And it's human nature for some people when shopping to pick the cheapest item on the shelf, even for the poor DOG/CAT who gets a whopping one meal a day for his whole life (or 2).

Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
In fairness to that poster, they never said how many dogs they have.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,063 times
Dollar tree sells 2 rolls/$1. Home Goods has packages of 10-12 rolls for $6. (My home goods bags are purple with hearts and smell like vanilla, lol)

Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
I get mine at the dollar store. They have handles, which I love. The box costs $1 and has 60 bags. Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs