Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times

Advertisements

Have you had his feces tested for worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I was going to recommend that exact product! I just got some the other day because the grocery bags are really bulky in my pockets.

Also, since we're on the subject of poop, how many times a day is normal? My 9 month old goes about 4-5 times/day. Twice during our morning walk - one after just a minute or so (which is solid) then maybe again after about 30-45 minutes of walking/running (which is really soft). Then, he'll go again when we first get to the park (soft again), and again after about an hour there (so soft can't really pick it up). Sometimes again just before he goes to sleep for the night. 100% of time it smells just awful

We feed him about 2 cups a day, which may seem like a lot for a 15lb. dog, but he looks really healthy and isn't putting on any weight.

Just curious if you guys thought this was normal. I didn't want to start an entirely new thread about it if I didn't have to.

If it matters, for the last six weeks we've been feeding him Castor & Polllux Puppy mix which appears to have good ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
We do buy the Bags on Board -- about five cents apiece, but usually we use the plastic produce bags from the grocery store. It helps that fruits and veggies are our staple foods.

Face it, dog ownership is not cheap. We've paid out over a thousand this year for the two dogs, already. Thank goodness neither has needed more than the routine vet care!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We do buy the Bags on Board -- about five cents apiece, but usually we use the plastic produce bags from the grocery store. It helps that fruits and veggies are our staple foods.
I do the produce bags too!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
yes I agree with the other posters 6 times a day is a little much no matter what the size of the dog . May I suggest you switch to a hollistic dog food and Im sure you will see a difference . and yes I use the grocery store bags as well .

Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
We have used Bags on Board for years. A few months ago we bought a new pack of blue bags, and my hand smelled like poo after using them. That was a fun thing to figure out We went back to the packs of multi-colored bags, and my hands stay fresh! If anyone is interested, the bright ones seem to work better

If price and environmental waste weren't a concern, I would use Mutt Mitts. Those things are great for big dogs!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,000 times
I wish I could use my garbage or newspaper bags, but the plastic is so crappy that there are always holes in them. I don't want to take a chance on touching the stuff directly, so I use the colorful Bags on Board everyone is talking about. They are also pretty easy to connect to the leash which minimizes my chances of forgetting to grab bags on our walks.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
Maybe someday our communities will be capable of having periodic (environmentally-friendly) disposal stations, and we can just scoop it and drop it in. My boss took the time and expense to have a hole dug in his yard that has a cover. He drops the waste in, some natural break-down additive (lime?) is applied, and -- voila! -- it becomes compost.

I should change my "call" to "LookinForBetterWays"! 8)

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 AM

718 posts, read 2,080,527 times
I bring my pooper scooper with me on a walk and deposit it at home in the lined can. I will not touch the stuff through plastic or asbestos for that matter. It does a better job than my hand can do....and if I had to have my dog's fecal matter "floated".....the dog would live someplace else.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
I guess I have always taken for granted that here, along the paths, the city has installed bag dispensers. Them being filled with bags relies on people - filling them with plastic bags from the stores. The dispensers are made out of large pvc pipe.

The only reason I take my own bags are because I like using bread bags - they tend to be a bit thicker than newspaper bags or store bags.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
I did a little math and found the same thing. Most commercial dog poop bags (even discount/store brand/ordering online in bulk etc) are about 7 cents per poop. 6 poops a day (wow!) and that's 42 cents/day. That's $153.30 per year, just to pick up poop.

What I've found to be most cost effective is ordering bulk fruit/veggie bags (like you see in the produce section of the supermarket). These I can get to just under 1 cent per poop. With your frequency that's only 6 cents/day or $21.90 per year. Much more reasonable!

For us, the difference was more like $51.10 per year vs. $7.30 with the veggie bags at only two poops per day.

One thing to remember, if you order in bulk--you'll have bags for years. We ordered 4 rolls and are going on 2.5 years with them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs