Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My neighborhood uses city assigned large brown garbage bins for garbage and blue ones for recycling.

When walking my dog, I will throw away his used bags in the proper brown bins, even if it is not mine.

Sometimes the bins are already emptied for the week and just have not been picked up by the owner of the home and sometimes I toss the used bag before the city garbage truck comes.

What do yall think, are either okay to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
Putting myself in the place of the homeowner whose bins you used, I'd say that if the bin has not been emptied I would be okay with you putting your bag of dog poop in it.

Placing a bag of dog poop into a bin that has already been emptied so that I'd have to see the bag of poop and possibly smell it until the next trash pickup would not be okay with me.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Yeah, I don't think I'd like you much if it was my bin cr!

The baggies get tied to his leash until I can find a public rubbish bin (these are emptied regularly and I'm quite sure much worse things than a bag of doggie doo doo go in them! )

OR

they come home and are put in our bin.

But then I never put any rubbish in other people's bins.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
If garbage cans are already out to the curb for pickup, I'll toss my used bags in the can. If they're just sitting out there empty, I hold onto them until I get home.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Okay, hehe, thanks. My hubby and I had different views - he was on "your side".

I cant assume that each person is okay with having the tied up baggie in their bins - even if the bins are just kept in the garage or side of the home.

We are in the 'burbs, no public bins on our 1 mile 1/3 walk.

I can hold onto his bag for the duration if he goes in the front end of the walk.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,588 times
Our garbage bin always smells like poop from our cats and dogs... but if I didn't own animals and someone put poop in my garbage I would be mad... poopy garbages STINK.. even after it is emptied. But, if it is all tied up I wouldn't want to walk forever holding a bag of poop! Just be sneaky about throwing it in the garbage, lol!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Okay, hehe, thanks. My hubby and I had different views - he was on "your side".

I cant assume that each person is okay with having the tied up baggie in their bins - even if the bins are just kept in the garage or side of the home.

We are in the 'burbs, no public bins on our 1 mile 1/3 walk.

I can hold onto his bag for the duration if he goes in the front end of the walk.
Is there a dog park or public park on your walk cr? They often have bins there. We're fairly lucky in that most of the walks we take which include two lots of local shops and a dog park all have public bins, the dog park even has a doggy bag bin.

The other option is, if it's a "round" trip you could always find a spot to leave the bag discreetly there until you return and pick it up then?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
As a home owner with dogs, I don't like when other dog owners throw their poopie bags into my garbage bins. Why? Because they smell and I don't like to have dog poop smelling garbage for the garbage men to have to deal with. I put all of my dog poop bags into a master bag which I put inside my contractor weight garbage bags. Plus in my area, when the temperatures go below freezing and it's been wet out, the little poopie bags sometimes stick to the bottom of the barrels and they stay there until the next week's garbage pickup. And in the hot summer months, I also know that my garbage men don't want to be smelling dog poop when they empty my barrels. I don't think that they get paid enough to have to smell dog poop on their routes.

Basically, I don't want any garbage in my barrels except my own. When I take my dogs on long walks, I have my small poopie bags plus a larger plastic grocery bag to put them in. And either they go into the public trash barrels or I take them home with me.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,492 times
When I walk mine, the only time I'll place the bag into someone's can, is if it's at the curb to be emptied. If it's not trash pick up day, then I take it back home and place it into my own can. If there's a city can, yes...I'll toss it into that.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
When I walk mine, the only time I'll place the bag into someone's can, is if it's at the curb to be emptied. If it's not trash pick up day, then I take it back home and place it into my own can. If there's a city can, yes...I'll toss it into that.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs