Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,214,018 times

Advertisements

Too, too often I hear people say they always wanted a certain breed or worse yet that they like the look of a particular breed. That alone is not enough. You cannot imagine how many purebreds end up at the shelters here and this is a lower income area. An older man, probably in his 70's, got a Boston Terrier and now, it is tied outside almost all of the time and I'm guessing "difficulty" with housebreaking probably put him out since I have read that can be an issue. Additionally, we have cold winters and hot summers which really is a problem with a very short muzzle. You absolutely need to do your research. A friend and her husband spent $1100.00 on 2 "Imperial" Shih Tzu pups, a male and female which they spay/neutered. They were told that these pups would only get about 5 to 8 lbs. Try 20 lbs and the wife has back problems in lifting. I told them I really did not think those pups would be that small. They ended up giving away the male because they could not handle 2 of them and the female has had continuing problems with its back.

Two books that I really like are "The Right Dog For You" by Daniel F. Tortora and "Your Purebred Puppy" by Michele Welton. And if adopting I found, "Successful Dog Adoption" by Sue Sternberg helpful as I had seen some of her articles on Petfinder. While I don't agree with everything said in these books, a novice has to start somewhere.

There are so many better choices for a "yard ornament" than a dog and cheaper ones at that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
I agree. I really wanted a miniature dachshund, but I read and did research before I actually got one to make sure the breed would be a good fit for me. And I got one from a rescue instead of a breeder. No one should ever get a dog on a whim. My aunt has a beagle mix she leaves outside all the time. It's too "dirty" for the house...umm...makes me furious.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,226,366 times
Agreed. Ours is a real looker and we can go few public places without people stopping to comment on him the entire time. Those that do either KNOW about Vizslas (not that they just look like red Weimaraners) or they know nothing at all about them, never even heard of them -- this is the vast majority of people.

Vizslas, however, are not for most dog owners; I can say that having known what we were getting into beforehand, and being painfully well-researched on everything hungarian pointer-related.

They are high strung, need to exercise a lot, a lot, a lot, to release the energy, and are extreme velcro dogs that often tend to imprint on one person. Ours has also had some of the best training and handling around but, unlike a golden retriever (which I've also had), it takes A LOT to remind him of it.

He is beautiful but would drive most to drink... sometimes I think he would benefit from Xanex. Good thing we love the neurotic crazy, road runner.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,102,346 times
Agreed, my parents got my younger brother a dachshund, which are extremely sweet dogs but they suffer severe separation anxiety and take a lot of time a dedication to potty train it and they are big cuddle buddies (which is great), and like most dogs they require a lot of attention, honestly my brother should have just gotten a cat (or just played with my father's cat--spoiled rotten but sweetest cat in the world) but my brother was 7, had school, sports and not much time for the dog. I was left with taking care of Skip as well as my dog. I spent a lot of time training, walking, feeding, taking the dog to the vet, etc...being the dog's owner. When I moved out, I wanted to take him with me since I was the one that always took care of him and he had adopted me even though he was technically my brother's dog. Well my parents and my brother said no, it was his dog and he should keep it. Skip was really sad when I left and all the training that I had done with him went out the window, he started going to the bathroom inside and my parents would get upset at him and not my brother who shouldve been taking care of him. Well, thank goodness my dad took charge and now Skip is more his dog than anything. When I'm there, or when I'm watching Skip, he does great, he's a really great dog but my brother had no business even getting a dog much less a doxie. They got him a doxie because that's what he wanted and they are soooooooooo cute....they should've researched and gotten him a stuffed animal. I love Skip though and so does my Sawyer so we are glad he's around.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,364,204 times
LOL Well Most dogs I got is Because I wanted one & Loved the Looks! Even LadyBug & No she not going to be put out! I even had a lady that wanted her I Turned her down cause she said "House training is no problem I have 10 [unfenced] Acres she can run on.." cripe!!

Much as I Vent on here about her...she not going anywhere LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 768,857 times
I have to disagree, in part...Generally the reason a lot of people get a particular breed or adopt one from the shelter is because of the way one looks and or always wanted a particular breed. I do think that someone should research a breed before but that is me...do I think it is awful that some get cats or dogs and then turn around and place them in the shelters..YES...I think it is wrong..but generally the reason someone picks a dog or cat is because they like the way the look. That is generally the attraction. So, I agree and disagree...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,453,823 times
It's like picking a boyfriend/girlfriend. Looks might be what makes you notice that person, or that dog, in the first place but if that's all you base your choice on you may regret it later.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorldItsMe View Post
I have to disagree, in part...Generally the reason a lot of people get a particular breed or adopt one from the shelter is because of the way one looks and or always wanted a particular breed. I do think that someone should research a breed before but that is me...do I think it is awful that some get cats or dogs and then turn around and place them in the shelters..YES...I think it is wrong..but generally the reason someone picks a dog or cat is because they like the way the look. That is generally the attraction. So, I agree and disagree...
Just because you like the way the dog looks doesn't mean that breed's personality will fit with your life style. Doxies ARE stubborn and potty training my mini took almost 6 months (the people who had him before me tried to litter box train him and confused him terribly). My dog is incredibly cute, but if I hadn't of been prepared for his personality I think we both would have been unhappy with my choice.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,427,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
it's like picking a boyfriend/girlfriend. Looks might be what makes you notice that person, or that dog, in the first place but if that's all you base your choice on you may regret it later.
qft:d

Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM

30 posts, read 142,559 times
Having been a trainer for years I can tell you there are WAY too many people out there who get a dog based on its looks and have ended up being very, very unhappy. Sadly, often those dogs end up in the shelter.

When I'm asked about dog breeds I cannot stress enough to people the importance of doing research. Read everything you can on the particular breed, talk to breeders - going to the meet and greets at dog shows is a great way to get a lot of good information.

My Brussels Griffon, Angus, is a dog that garners a lot of attention when we're out. He's cute, small, he looks like an Ewok, he's the dog that stole the show in the movie As Good As It Gets (not the actual dog of course, but same breed), people go crazy over him. Are they a good breed for the average person? Heck no! Don't get me wrong, I think he's fabulous but I did a lot of research on his breed, I knew what I would be getting into, but this dog is high maintenance with several quirks. The list is long of the type of person/household his breed would not jell with.

Makes me very sad that people get a dog based on a look and then when it's not perfect in every other way, they can't be bothered with it anymore. It's just not fair that the dog should suffer for someone's poor judgement and lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs