Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

If a dog eats a lot & poops a lot I dont think its getting what its body needs. 3 cups is way too much food for a 15 pound puppy or dog. You need to find a better qulity of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I was going to recommend that exact product! I just got some the other day because the grocery bags are really bulky in my pockets.

Also, since we're on the subject of poop, how many times a day is normal? My 9 month old goes about 4-5 times/day. Twice during our morning walk - one after just a minute or so (which is solid) then maybe again after about 30-45 minutes of walking/running (which is really soft). Then, he'll go again when we first get to the park (soft again), and again after about an hour there (so soft can't really pick it up). Sometimes again just before he goes to sleep for the night. 100% of time it smells just awful

We feed him about 2 cups a day, which may seem like a lot for a 15lb. dog, but he looks really healthy and isn't putting on any weight.

Just curious if you guys thought this was normal. I didn't want to start an entirely new thread about it if I didn't have to.

If it matters, for the last six weeks we've been feeding him Castor & Polllux Puppy mix which appears to have good ingredients.
Has your dog had a recent fecal flotation test, and a screening for Giardia? Giardia and other parasites can cause frequent defecation and loose stools.

A genetic digestive enzyme problem also causes a dog to eat a lot, have frequent, loose and very smelly stools, and not gain weight. I don't remember the medical term for this, but it's a type of pancreatic insufficiency. Your vet could tell you more about it.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
If a dog eats a lot & poops a lot I dont think its getting what its body needs. 3 cups is way too much food for a 15 pound puppy or dog. You need to find a better qulity of food.
The ingredients for the aforementioned food are pretty good - dog food analysis rates it as four star kibble.

I guess we could try Wellness or one of the other highly rated foods next time we switch it out - which we plan to in about six weeks.

Like I said though, he isn't gaining any noticeable weight. I mean, if I touch him I can very easily feel all of his ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Has your dog had a recent fecal flotation test, and a screening for Giardia?
No, he hasn't had either. Is that recommended during the first year?

Quote:
Giardia and other parasites can cause frequent defecation and loose stools.

A genetic digestive enzyme problem also causes a dog to eat a lot, have frequent, loose and very smelly stools, and not gain weight. I don't remember the medical term for this, but it's a type of pancreatic insufficiency. Your vet could tell you more about it.
If things don't change after we switch out his food next time maybe I'll look more into this.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Does anyone know where you can find the doggy "poop bags" for cleaning up after your dog on walks for cheap? I just realized the other day that they're ridiculously expensive. I mean, you can get a box of kitchen trash bags for the same price, and that's a whole lot more plastic. At Target, they're over $7 for 100 bags, I believe. I checked WalMart and theirs were about the same price. My dog goes through 6 of them per day, so I'm wondering if there's someplace to get them cheaper - maybe online?
I pay $11 for 120 at Petco.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,430,831 times
Speaking of amt of food and # of poops per day (wow what a thought)...my Shih-Tzu weighs about 10.5 lb, eats 1 cup of Royal Canin (1/2 C twice daily) occasionally mixed with a little chicken, rice or ground beef. She defecates 1-2 times a day. I know something's amiss when her stools are a bit loose or she goes more than twice.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

No, he hasn't had either. Is that recommended during the first year?
Giardia is a parasite that can be picked up from the environment. People can get it, too. I have the vet do a test several times a year since we have lots of wildlife pass through our yard and we've had infections in the past. Dogs can get it at any age.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
BEFORE you switch foods got get the puppy checked by a vet. Switching foods is hard enough on their digestive without other proplems.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Has your dog had a recent fecal flotation test, and a screening for Giardia? Giardia and other parasites can cause frequent defecation and loose stools.

Was wondering if you meant syndrome X when describing pancreatic insufficiency, this is the same condition many humans have and a change in diet is one of the first ways to try to stabilie it. Have you tried "raw feeding"?This has cured or manged all kinds of illnesses in dogs that I have witnessed.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Was wondering if you meant syndrome X when describing pancreatic insufficiency, this is the same condition many humans have and a change in diet is one of the first ways to try to stabilie it. Have you tried "raw feeding"?This has cured or manged all kinds of illnesses in dogs that I have witnessed.
No, not Syndrome X. Isn't that a metabolic disorder in humans? I was thinking of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, EPI, which is caused by a failure of the pancreas to make enzymes necessary for proper digestion. Treatment includes pancreatic enzyme supplements. I don't know the role of diet in managing the disease. I guess the Mike in Tn would have to decide if that worked for him.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,838 times
I called the vet's office today and one of the staff just recommended to try a different food, but I could bring in a stool sample if I like (I think that was more for deworming though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs