Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

Yes dogs can be given more radiation. I know Tillie had the full radiation treatment then later had the palliative IMRT done and I think Scout had more then one go at radiation too. If I recall repeat radiation while effective is usually not as effective as the first time.

I can't imagine one or two doses being very effective as I think it would take the whole course of the palliative radiation to do any good.

With Dash I made the decision for the palliative wanting some good quality time to say good by and we got that and I am very thankful for it. His radiation was done with IMRT so he really had no side effects except for a dry eye. I could have repeated it when the cancer seemed to be active again but in my heart I had the feeling that it would be wrong as I had chosen just palliative for a reason and my goal was met.

While I do miss Dash and think about him alot I do not waste time thinking oh I should have done the 20 days of radiation or I should have repeated the radiation as maybe he would still be with me so I have no regrets about the decisions I did make. I do some times think that if I had done either of those I would not have gotten Dazzle back when Dash's outward swelling started and I would be missing out as Dazzle is a fantastic dog and so much of Dash seems to have rubbed off on him during their 6 months together that I think everything happened as it did for a reason. Memories of Dash bring nothing but smiles to me as he was such a happy loyal loving dog and I know for me sticking with my decison of just the one time palliative treatment was the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,279 times
Dashdog....thank you for your response. I came home this past Thursday and she had gotten much worse. She was reverse sneezing and sneezing quite a bit. She had also lost her bladder everywhere (which was probably a side effect of the prednisone). I called my vet and had a good talk with him. He said it was most likely a tumor and cancerous. I could continue on and do more tests, but the last couple weeks had been quite difficult for both of us. So I had to make a decision. This past weekend I took her to the beach camping, boating, let her do all her favourite things, and eat steak to her hearts content. Today is a very tough day, but I feel better knowing all good dogs go to Heaven.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Chu Chu dawg , I am sorry to hear about what has happened with your dog but am glad you and she had a great last weekend together. Those memories of Dash eating McDonalds as we sat at the park looking at the ocean and his last trip to say good bye to friends where he got and In and Out burger from a friend then looked at her like " well where is the chocolate shake and fries?" and the car ride I took him on to visit all his favorite places the 2nd to last night all bring back such great memories for me as I think he enjoyed it all and then felt ready to leave me which made saying good bye easier . To be honest I feel him around me often and get the feeling he is guiding young Dazzle so I don't think he was really left me except in a physical sense. He will always live on in my memories of him and they always bring a smile to my face. At the end of Sept it will be a year since we said good bye.

I hope the memories of your dog can one day bring you smiles and not tears too. You will find talking about her does help heal the hurt.Do you have any photos you can share as she sounds like an interesting mix?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 25,687 times
Dashdon, understandable comments and good points. It's an individual decision for everyone. We are headed back to the vet this week to see what their thoughts are. It's been 5-6 months since he completed radiation and he hasn't been back to see them since then, so I would like to see what they think and how the options sound.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM

60 posts, read 170,324 times
Hello everyone,
Havent been on here in a while due to a hectic schedule. I hope everyone is doing well and fighting the good fight. Looks like there are some new posts with new pups unfortunately fighting this terrible disease. All I can is say I wish you the best of luck and pray for all of you. This site is very helpful with knowledge and supports about nasal cancer and I hope it helps you as much it as helped me in the past. As for some news, I have adopted a pup, a 1 year old black lab mix named "Shimmy". She was at the shelter that I was volunteering at and had been found on the city streets. She is such a sweet girl! I am happy to be able to give all the love that I had for Sheldon to another pup that deserves it. Sheldon will always be my first dog and such an impact on my life, no other dog could replace him but Dashdog is truly right by saying that different dogs serve different purposes and Shimmy is definitely one of those dogs! I took her to the vet today for her first check up and she got her bortadella vaccine which made me ask the vet her opinions of the vaccine being used in the nasal cavity and how that is correlated with nasal cancer, her opinion was that she has seen a shift in a decrease of using the vaccine in the nasal form, usually giving it nasally the first time but the booster as an injection. When I told her about Sheldon (she was not his vet) she said that there is a belief of the repeated nasal form of bortadella being concerning and yes Sheldon did have that vaccine regualarly and it was always in the nasal form. Who knows if that was the cause..I dont think that I will never know but it does make me more weary of the things I will give my new pup. We did decide to get Shimmy vaccinated with the nasal form the first time as it is more affective to build up the immune system through the nasal passages but she will get all of her boosters through injection here forward. The main reason she even got the vaccine was that she starting obedience school and it is required.
Dash dog I know the 1year anniversary of Dash's passing to the bridge is soon, know that I am thinking of you and know that Dash is always here with you, I know that Sheldon is with me, as on my darkest days I can think of him and smile...
Stay well everyone!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Joyce so glad to hear the good news. Love the name Shimmy too as I have never heard it but think it is a very cute name for a dog. It makes me smile to hear you talk about her and I know that she will capture her own special place in your heart. You need to post a photo so we can see this new sweetie!

Thanks for the thoughts about Dash as yes at the end of the month it will have been a year. You are right he is always with me and puts so many smiles on my face. I feel blessed to have shared 11 years with him..too bad it was not the full 12 but someone else owned him that first year.

The dogs and I are at my dad's this week as are my sister her husband and their 4 yr old grandson, Sabian. Sabian's mom died in an accident when he was 2 so he lives with them. He seems to love Jazz and Dazzle but is afraid of Phoenix. It is funny as Phoenix is one of the sweetest dogs I know but is a little afraid of kids so she hangs out in the doorways to rooms where she can keep an eye on Sabian. The fact she does that so is always watching him and her light blue eyes which are a weird looking makes him think she is a mean dog. It is really rather funny as in the 8 years since I adopted her she has never so much as growled or curled her lip at anything.She lives with my dad as Jazz would beat her up and she would not fight back but instead would squeal like a pig, she is deaf with limited vision. Anyway it is funny seeing a kid think she is a mean scary dog as she is so fluffy that kids usually want to come hug her .

Here is a photo of her...scarey looking huh?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM

60 posts, read 170,324 times
Oh my god Phoenix is beautiful! What kind of pup is she? check out my pics I have added Shimmy, Have a great weekend!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,279 times
Nasal cancer-picture-273.jpg

Nasal cancer-174.jpg

Nasal cancer-442.jpg

Dashdog

I have attached a couple pix...she is quite foxy! Has been quite the adjustment without my little girl. I think I have cried almost every morning, afternoon, and night for the past week, but it is getting better (only crying at night now...lol). I can't believe how much she was part of my life. It was a horribly hard decision, but thinking back, I know I did the right thing and she is no longer suffering. It would be great to get another puppy right now, but I think I am going to wait and soak in all the great memories! I wish everyone on here luck and success....and remember to cherish every moment of everyday!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM

ChuChu Dawg, Your girl was adorable. In that top photo she does look like a little fox. I am sure you will find another dog to love when the time is right for you. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Joyce, Shimmy is beautiful so happy you found her. As for Phoenix she is what is called a homozygous merle which is what one out of four pups are when they breed two merle coated dogs together. They are usually deaf or blind or some degree of one or both. She is deaf with limited vision as her one eye has a starburst pupil so can not shut down in bright light leaving her vision out of that eye very poor on a sunny day the other has a cobola in it so probably has a blind spot in that eye. But she is amazing. and most people do not know she is handicapped they just think her eyes look weird. The humane society felt she is an australian shepherd but I am thinking either a border collie or even a large sheltie or maybe even a mix of two of those breeds.All three do come in the blue merel coat. She moves like a collie not bouncy like an aussie but we will never know for sure. I adopted her 8 years ago and after I had her for 1.5 years she moved in with my parents as Jazz just kept picking on her..now they get along fine but that may be because she does not live with us.

I was just starting to enjoy life again and having time to do things rather then running to the vets often like I had to with Dash and yesterday my dad's cat was diagnosed with diabetes. My dad has mild dementia and will not be able to care for him so now I have to decided if I am willing to take him home and care for him....it is alot of work and money and after careing for my mom during her cancer battle, then Dash and being the one who pretty much makes sure my dad is OK ( he lives 120 miles away) I feel some what cheated to think I may be stuck with the diabetic cat but then again I feel bad putting him to sleep since it is a disease that can be managed. I was beginning to think this black cloud over me for the past 6 years was moving on but maybe not? Anyway I am feeling some what sick about the decision I will have to make in the next few days.Will that black cloud never leave?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 18,670 times
Here's an update on Rudy the schnauzer. He's still alive now 8 months post stereotactic radiation from Colorado State University veterinary school. He does sneeze some, and his nose looks ok except for some crustiness around his left nostril where the tumor was located. No bloody noses or mucous coming out. The bad news is that his kidney's are failing. My mom in Jersey had to take him to the vet, and they put him on subcutaneous fluids. He had diarreha in the house and was not eating his food. Over the last couple days he has rallied some and is eating some turkey and rice. He also has cushing's disease. We're just taking it day to day with this kidney problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs