Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 AM

72 posts, read 160,321 times

Advertisements

Alessia, it's good that you are calling the doctor about Luna. We are using some gel called Poly Dex ........ more words. It is to be used 3 times a day, if possible - he started having a corneal scratch from a bush and had an infection. When we changed to the new vet, he tested him for dry eye as he said that bulldogs are prone to this. That is when he gave us this ointment. On our bulldog forum - alot of them are on some type of a drop, I don't know if they are antibiodic or just like a Visine or a Liqiud Tears type - but since it is one of their problems in general, most do use something.

With Luna having had the procedure - your care plan for her eyes could be totally different and maybe she will need some kind of lubricating tear ointment or drops.

Truth be known, I think that you do the administering as close as you can to whatever amount of times during the day that is indicated - but basically it is just important to get something into her eye.

I never realized that Sarge had dry eye and the first vet never mentioned any treatment at all - his tear production was so low - and now it is coming up gradually. We all have to be advocates for our dear pets and am so thankful for the internet - this forum and friendships here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM

oh my goodness, what a beautiful poem. I have so many tears and feelings reading it - so true - the raincoat and overcoat really got to me - it is true, Rocky wore his coat with pride and everyone loved it on him. Thank you for the link - it is truly a good feeling to read and know that it is ok to get another dog, too, so many thoughts went through our heads - are we being unfeeling and uncaring - replacing. None of those things, another life will receive love and care as Rocky did.

And some day, Abby Grace will meet Rocky at the Rainbow Bridge, and someone will be wearing her raincoat and overcoat.

Darbi, for my Rocky, with the Angels

Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times
Hello Everyone,
I am back from vacation and have read all the most recent posts, with tears in my eyes. Erica, My heart and prayers are with you. Scout was such an inspirational dog, he endured so much and lived life to the fullest. I know that he is at the bridge being welcomed by all of our pups and looking down on you. Daisytatto, I just read your posts for the first time and know you are new to the forum but I just want to say that I am sorry for your loss of beautiful Sheba. Just by what you wrote I know that she had such a great mom and life. I hope you find peace and comfort knowing that her pain is gone but she is always by your side.
I had a great vacation, just my mother and I, but I it made me miss Sheldon a real lot. He was supposed to go on that vacation and if you arent familiar with Cape Cod you must know that it is very dog friendly ( Actually Provincetown was just voted #1 vacation spots for dog and their families) so there were dogs everywhere, lots of pet stores, pet friendly restaraunts, beaches etc. It made my heart heavy at times because I so badly wanted Sheldon to be there. We took the ferry over to Nantucket Island and a beautiful rainbow followed us the entire ride. It brought me to tears because it felt like Sheldon was coming along for the ride. Thank you Jan for posting the link to the last will and testament poem, Darbi, I totally feel the same way you do about the overcoat and raincoat that both Rocky and Sheldon wore so well. Sheldon was always such a prideful dog. He always wore bandanas and whenever I would put one on he would instantly broaden his shoulders as to say "look at me everyone! I am here and I am proud! I begin orientation this week at the shelter and plan on donating all of Sheldons's old blankets and some leftover food and toys from Miss Emma but one thing I cannot bear to give away is Sheldon's leash, bandanas, and collar. Those will be passed down to my next pup someday. And it may sound silly but Sheldon's collar still smells just like him, Some people think dogs are smelly but I used to love the way Shel smelled.
Alessia, I am sorry that Luna is having problems with her eye but am glad to hear that besides that she is full of life. I am going to Germany and Poland for the holidays this year to visit family so maybe well cross path somehow..Who knows! I feel like everyone I talk to on here is very close to my heart, despite the miles that seperate us all. Stay well!
Joyce ( and my sweet pups)

Old 07-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Joyce, so glad you are back and that you had a good trip with your mom. Those are precious times, and I remember well with my mother. Even going to see her in Florida after dad passed, and we would be together. It had to have been very emotional to see the dogs and know that your Sheldon was to be a part of that vacation. I think to donate the things is wonderful.

The coat and raincoat thoughts, I got from the Last Will and Testament Link that Jan posted a few messages ago - it is something to read - it is a comfort.

Hoping that the call to Luna's doctor brought some advice for her eyes. And wouldn't that be wonderful to meet when you travel to Germany and Poland. Do you have family there? I was adopted at birth and know that my birth mother was Polish. We never went into the search to find the background, although it was a private adoption and would have been easy enough. My emotional makeup would probably not take to finding another "family", it's hard to explain. Abby is doing well, biting and an alpha girl - not a girlie girl at all. Hoping that she outgrows this as it can be tiring. We were going to have a rescue pup for Sarge and thought there might be a problem, this appears to be moreso - live and learn. Loving hugs to all in need, you are in our hearts and prayers. Darbi, and Rocky, always my angel

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 56,912 times
Hi everyone!!! I hope all is well. I haven't posted in a while, but been off and on trying to follow everyone's posts.

I have an update on Sage. For those of you who forgot about his situation. He is a 9 year old Black Lab with adenocarsinoma in his nasal cavity. He got diagnosed in October and we have had quite an adventure since. We decided not to do radiation and tried one chemo treatment. Overall, until the past few weeks, there really wasn't much change in him since diagnosis. The only way we knew he had an "issue" was the mucus coming out of his nose and he seemed not be to able to breathe out of his nose too well. He has not lost any weight. A couple weeks ago we saw that his right eye had what looked like a tumor coming out in the corner. We took him to the vet and she said it was the cancer pushing on his eye and we were seeing his 3rd eyelid. Last weekend we were giving him his medicine and noticed blood on the pill pusher. We looked in his mouth and it looks like the cancer is coming through the top of his mouth. It looks like a sore about the size of a quarter (maybe bigger). That was the first time we had seen that. On Sunday, I fed him lunch and his mouth was really bleeding. Since Sunday, his mouth is off and on bleeding. Also, when we left for church on Sunday his face looked fine other than the eye issue. When we got home his nose is now deformed. He looks like a schnauser. You were right...it happens fast. Through all this, he is still acting like nothing is wrong. Wagging his tail and playing. I feel like the decision to put him down is coming closer, but it is hard with him acting so good. I was thinking about taking picutres and posting on here. Are you guys interested? How do I make the decision to put him down when he is acting fine? For those of you who have had to do this already...how did you know it was time. This is the first time I have ever had to put an animal to sleep and have a lot of anxiety about it.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Oh my, Sage, I remember your postings. We put Rocky to sleep on Palm Sunday. It was not ideal situation as it was medication that made us have to make our decision. He had only been diagnosed 2 weeks before. We didn't have time to think straight, but only Palliative care for him.

I think most would tell you that Sage will tell you when it is his time. To me, if he is eating, sleeping, and doing normal things, that is a guide. Rocky was also a Black Lab, he was 12.4 years old, older than Sage and his medication caused him to bloat. Long story, but we might have had more time with him. Then again, things happen the way they happen. I cannot control it all, much as I would like to. Some others have posted pictures here.

You are in our thoughts and prayers, and we still come here to support and be supported. It is a refuge of love here.

Darbi and Rocky, my angel

Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I am sorry to hear about Sage. When Dash first developed an outward swelling it was in Feb so 9 months after his IMRT treatment. His oncologist told me it would only be days maybe weeks before I would loose him as it tends to progress fast. Well his sort of went back down then would swell again then go back down and that lasted for several months and it stayed small when it did swell.

I think in was in July that it really took off and swelled to the point it closed his left eye, then it went down again and he could open his eye and then swelled back up again and closed his eye for good. He never acted like it bothered him but it really did bother people that saw him. He ate well went on walks interacted with my other two dogs, hunted gophers at the park as if nothing was in wrong, slept at night.

In Sept he did start to slow down some and that swelling did open up yet he still acted unphased by it. We tried to treat the infection as it was a horrible infected mess but it became clear we were not really touching it.Then one night he was just sitting like he was thinking and looked at me and I saw that yes he was giving up. ( I called an animal communicator that I had see once with Jazz for a fund raiser for a local agility club and had been very impressed with that time) She only asked his name , breed age and how long I have owned him then she zeroed in on things and said he had a huge fear of having a big nose bleed and he did not want that so was ready to leave me.

She had told me that he said I had done all I could including taking him places for a last time.....so true as the previous night I had taken just him on a long car ride and we visited all his favorite spots and he had seen all his friends at the park before that. So much of what she said hit the nail right on target yet I had told her nothing that she could have gotten any of what she said from. She said he was ready to go and wanted to go without a big scene like he thought that feared nose bleed would cause. She said he had already informed the other two dogs he was leaving. So The next day I called the vet and that afternoon he walked into the vets for the last time very calm and relaxed while in the past he would have been very nervous. It was like he knew why we were there and he was Ok with it and the funny thing was because he was that way I was at peace with it too. He layed down on the dog bed they had in the room and did not fuss when the Vet shaved his leg or started the injection. It was all very peaceful which is what the animal communicator told me he wanted.

( a little side note)When Dash's swelling started to open I knew his days were numbered so on the way home from the vets I stopped and got him a cheeseburger at McDonalds and we shared the fires and chocolate shake as we sat at a park looking at the ocean...he was in heaven. He had a caste iron gut his whole life so this meal did not upset his stomach at all as a matter of fact later that week at the park one of his friends brought him an in and out burger everything on it which he ate with great relish then looked at her like "where is the chocolate shake?" A visit to heaven twice in one week for him.( he was not allowed junk food before that but he was a major chow hound)

I think there was alot of wisdom in the not wanting a big scene at the time of death so know in my heart that it was time.

I think if you sit quietly with Sage and listen he will indeed tell you when he is ready to leave you. With all the swelling and the cancer eating through the roof of his mouth like it is you must know in your heart that it will only get worse not better so I will give you advice my vet gave me 14 years ago with the first dog I ever had to make that decision with on my own. He said Today might not be the day but know that from this day forward there will be no wrong time to put her down .

If you feel like posting photos then do so as it may help some one else that reads this post later .

Sending positve thoughts your way so you can stay strong for Sage. As much as we hate death it is just a part of life so once you make that decision do not second guess it as that only causes you pain.There really is nothing to feel guilty about as what you are doing is showing your dog one last act of love. Jan

Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times
Hello Everyone,
Sage's mom, my sheldon lost his battle to nasal cancer is April and alot of people told me that I would know when the right time was to say goodbye to my sweet Rottie but I really struggled with it. Sheldon was playful and full of life, up until the day we said goodbye. Actually the day that we put him to sleep we went to all of his favorite parks and walked for about 3 hours. He has a steak dinner and was visited by all his canine and human friends. I thought to myself how can I say goodbye today when he is still running around and wagging his tail like hes not sick? But he was sick, his nose too started to deform and it was hard to look at because the skin was so raw. He has nose bleeds regularly and even though he went about his daily routine a trail of blood would follow him. And unlike Sage where you can see the tumor coming from his eye Sheldon had ocular degeneration meaning that the disease was eating away the nerve ending that are are attached to the eye itself, causing his eye to droop terribly. When the vet came that night to put him down he said that it was the perfect time to say goodbye (even though we all know there is no "perfect time") because I tried my best to help Sheldon and also extended his life long enough without causing too much suffering. I was able to spend the time I needed with my rottie and prepare myself to say goodbye and he understood that, he knew his time was coming. If you have read my previous posts youll see that only 3 weeks ago we had to put my boyfriend's dog Emma to sleep due to liver cancer. Her illness was so quick, she went from a little lethargic to not being able to eat, walk or go to the bathroom the last few days she was alive. It was heart wrenching to see that. Now I dont mean to offend any one here but I do have to say that I am glad that I never got to see Sheldon that way. I had the chance to see him through till the very end without it getting to the point where he was suffering too much. And I know suffering is suffering no matter what degree but as pet owners we have the ability (even though its the toughest decision i ever made) to end our pets' suffering if needed. Just like everyone says, you will know when to say goodbye to your Sweet Sage. Dont doubt yourself and know that whatever choice you make Sage will love you. And if you can, enjoy the time you have with him, Do all his favorite things with him, visit friends ( yours and his ) give him special treats, ( like Jan and Dash sharing a cheeseburger, Sheldon, my mom and I shared chicken nuggets). Doing things dont make the choice easier but for me it helped because it allowed those last few days to be good memories. And if you like to post pictures I agree with Jan that may help people in the future that may come across this terrible disease. I will think of you and your family...xo
Joyce ( and my sweet pups)

Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Dear ones, the posts bring such tears to my eyes, you all went through so much and it is so hard to know that you are making a decision that you want to be the right one. I think the special things that Dash and Jan and Sheldon and Joyce did were very important and that day will always remain in their memories as a good day for Sheldon and for Dash. This is such a terrible disease, and some dogs are so stoic and hide their pain. The last gift you can give is that of a pain free journey, forever to the place where all will be in time. Our neighbor came down today on another matter and said that they had to put their Mattie to rest yesterday, and they had No idea how hard it would be. I think posting pictures is very important and also brings a peace to you, that we share in your life a little. How is our sweet Luna doing? Hugs to her - what did the doctor say about her eyes?
Darbi and my Rocky, an angel, as he always was here on earth

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

65 posts, read 136,327 times
So sorry for Sage... and for his mum... I can't find the right words to say how sad I am every time another sweet pup is suffering and fighting these terrible cancer...
Be with him and try to live in the present as dogs do... he will let you know when it's time, I guess...
I'm struggling and trying to do the same thing: live in the present, cherish every single moment.. and I know how difficult this can be sometimes...
And I know what you talk about is also in my future....

Hi to everybody else. Sorry if I'm late with the update but sometimes I'm so sad that I can not even come here to write...

Update on Luna:

-We went for another check of luna's eyes and tears and... there's no corneal damage (YAY) but tears in the right eye are a bit less than they should be so they suggested me (I called the radiation oncological center) to use (again) OPTIMMUNE and RETINOL VITAMIN A for at least a month... to avoid the possible future problems....
They asked me to call them back in a week to let them know how the "eye stringy secretions" are going.

-I'm almost ashamed to ask another question but... it's helpful to know...
Those of you who told me were giving piroxicam to their dog... was that everyday for the rest of the dog's life? I'm a bit afraid of using piroxicam as from her last blood work.. her liver parameters are not as good as they should be...

Hugging you all...

Alessia and Luna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs