Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 160,321 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, Joyce - Shimmy is so dear, reminding me of Abby and you will find such love, that we both know comes from Sheldon and Rocky - sending us our Black Pearls. Jan, what a precious picture of Phoenix ! And my thoughts are with you and Dashdog. I was saying to someone, things are up and down - some days I feel strong and others I just grieve for my Rocky. It is a tribute to those who are in the rainbow bridge, and were so loved. This is a wonderful forum - since March, we have been coming here and offer support to those fighting so very hard. Darbi and Rocky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times
ChuChudawg was such a beautiful dog and know that in the beginning the grief is hard, you cry so much you dont think you have any tears left, and then you cry again..with time it will pass and memories will just take its place...take your time getting another dog, youll know when youre ready and when you are youll amaze yourself with the love that you didnt think you still had!
Dashdog,
I fully understand the "black cloud phenomenon". It tends to hang around sometimes and just when you think that sun is peeking out and there are brighter days ahead a storm rolls in and sends you right back..I am coming to terms that there will be cloudy days and there will be sunny days, just do your best to enjoy that sun and then the rain wont feel so bad. It sounds like this kitty will be another responsibility that will be both financially and emotionally involved, how will is he/she? I know that you will make the best decision for your self and know that deciding to not take her on is okay too, gotta know your limits right? I wish you the best of luck, stay well
I am always thinking of all of our pups that are now gone, actually a friend of mine's great dane passed away over this weekend, he was only 3 years old and it was very sudden, a heart condition...So sad.
talk to every one soon..
joyce and now shimmy( and always sheldon)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 25,696 times
An update on our Samoyed. He went back to the oncologist and overall they were pretty impressed as he is almost 6 months out from his palliative radiation which they thought was pretty good. They said most likely with his increasing symtoms the cancer is probably growing back, but there is a remote chance he is just having an infection or chronic radiation damage (that's sounds really unlikely). Anyway, they want to do another CT before considering a second (and final) round of palliative radiation. We are awaiting the cost of the scan, but I think we are going to go ahead with at least that since he otherwise seems so happy and unaffected. Besides, winter is his absolute favorite time of year. They gave us a prescription for the Cephalexin which we will have Dr. Foster Smith compound into biscuits, so no more need for the "fish" medication.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,673 times
Rudy was put to sleep on last Tuesday. His kidney's failed. He was 14. He got to a point where he refused to eat, drink, and could not walk. He also lost control of his bowels. The vets said his nose looked good even at the end. He never had any big nose bleeds or a very runny nose. We thought the nose cancer would get him so this snuck up on us even though his blood/kidneys were tested monthly. It was just his time to go. Rudy had a great run and will be deeply missed.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times
Rest in peace Rudy, So sorry for your loss, he was lucky to have you...xo

Dashdog I take it this week is the 1 year marker of Dash's passing, know that I am thinking of you this week...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycez View Post
Rest in peace Rudy, So sorry for your loss, he was lucky to have you...xo

Dashdog I take it this week is the 1 year marker of Dash's passing, know that I am thinking of you this week...

Thanks, Yes it has been a year . when I took the diabetic cat in to meet the vets this morning everyone said " How weird you in here with out a dog! Along with it is strange not seeing you much as we use to see you frequently." Guess that cat will make me a frequent flyer at the vets again.

conjschnauzer, I am so sorry to hear about Rudy. Before My mom died she said I don't know why they call these the golden years as there has been nothing golden about them. That is sadly true for so many people and animals. Being old is hard and having our bodies defy us is so difficult. You beat one thing to be hit with another. Rest in peace little Rudy knowing how much your human family here on earth loved you. A big hug going out to all of your human family!

Tds1 I remember how diffiicult it was thinking the cancer may be active again but not really knowing. I know whatever you do it will be what is right for both you and your dog. It is nice that dogs with this cancer can just go on like life is normal and be happy and enjoy life...oh what we should learn from them!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Having trouble logging in. We are so very sorry about Rudy, and you are in our prayers. Dashdog, you are an inspiration to so many and bless you on your anniversary. Our hearts are with all fighting this terrible disease. Darbi and Rocky, sweet angel

Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM

test

Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 21,351 times
Default My dog has nasal cancer

I have read most of the posts on this forum, and am happy to see all the information available -- and, at the same time, I feel the grief of many members who have lost their dogs. My dog, Josie, was diagnosed with nasal chondrosarcoma about 6 weeks ago. She had been reverse sneezing for quite awhile, and my traditional vet thought it was mites. She was treated for mites, but did not respond. I finally had a rhino done, and sure enough it was cancer. I am going to a holistic vet, now, and he is treating her with neoplasene. I happened to see Dr Scanlon's name on this forum, and gave her a call. She responded, and suggested that I use nose drops, rather than the oral neo, which had congested Josie so much that she could not breathe. Of course, at that time I was very naive about neo, and did not realize that my vet started her on a much too large dose. Over the past couple of weeks I have experimented with 2:1 diluted saline to neo, 3cc -- which was too much -- and, backed it down to 1cc. I have now switched to 1:1 dilution, and the first time I gave that on Sat. she bled. This is the first bleeding she has had. I gave her a day off yesterday, and administered the 1:1, 1cc of neo again this morning. There was no blood this time. My vet thinks I should stay at 1cc until her breathing gets a bit better, and also to administer every other day vs. daily. I don't know. I'm thinking I should administer daily, and keep it at 1cc maybe for a week, and then increase to 1.5 cc. I'm interested in what people on this forum think. I realize that this is not a 'science', and the dosage and schedule needs to be adjusted for the dog, and the symptoms. But, I want to do everything I can to get rid of this 'monster' which is killing my beautiful friend. I guess I have to get used to what I call her 'ugly sounds' -- snorting, gagging, gasping, etc. I find that it is MUCH worse at night. Have others experienced this? Is there anything that can be done to help my Josie breathe better? I give her Tramadol, as needed -- and also a valerian combo that helps her relax. But, at night she is constantly up and down, trying to breathe, snorting, etc. I hope there is something I can give her. I do give her 10mg of prednisone when she's really bad. I realize that Dr Fox says that's a no, no. But, I feel I need to do SOMETHING to help her.

Any advice is welcome. And, please ask me questions if I haven't covered the situation well enough.

Thanks,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Nasal cancer-josie-1.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Peter, First I am sorry to hear that your dog has nasal cancer. BTW Very pretty dog.

Dash was on neoplasene with DR. Scanlon as the vet that started him on it. and she and his oncologist did not always agree about it, He had palliative IMRT so had an oncologist.He got it as nose drops. To be honest while I would be very willing to try it again on a tumor that I could apply it directly too like a mast cell tumor on a leg I am not sure I would use it for nasal cancer again. After starting it Dash did sneeze out big chunks of tissue so yes maybe it was killing the cancer but in the end his face swelled up which is normal in the end stage of this cancer. Just this weekend I took care of a human with cancer in her sinuses that was now end stage and her face was swollen and her eyes were swollen shut so it made me think of Dash and his one eye swelling closed

Anyway The swelling on Dash's face opened up and it was one big infection in there and a huge lump of tissue more or less popped out which left me wondering was the swelling the cancer or was it perhaps a very serious infection due to the neoplasene? It could have killed the tumor but then that dead tissue could have been trapped in there and resulted in a serious infection. I will never know but that thought is there. I ended up having to put him to sleep as that infection was so over whelming and I think he was becoming septic.

As for dosing I would NOT give it every day..No way! That is for a couple reasons # 1 when you kill cancer cells it produces toxins that your body must get rid of. If you kill it too fast you risk overwhelming the body with toxins. In the case of nasal cancer Mucus is the way the body gets rid of Toxins so now you have the cells that produce mucus in over drive and there is too much mucus and your poor dog can not breathe. 2nd being that Neoplasene kills the cancer cells because it causes inflammation in them and inflammation causes swelling so once again too much swelling your dog can't breathe and will be miserable. The reason they say no Prednisone is it is a steroid and steriods fight inflammation so you are then fighting the very thing you want to have happen and that is inflammation. I say go with the lesser dose and less frequent.

There really are no good decongestants to give a dog but after trying several things I did find out that Mucinex helped Dash some..It is really for chest congestion but seemed to help break up his nasal mucus so it drained out and he sneezed it all over.

Yes the Ugly sounds are worse at night because most dogs tend to breathe via their nose when they sleep and so you have all that mucus and swelling in there which makes it difficult and you get all the noise. Dash did eventually learn to keep his mouth open and breathe via it as he slept. When awake they can pant but they do not seem to do that in sleep.

I would go by what Dr. Scanlon says not Dr. Fox as Fox is not a medical doctor or a vet and from things others using it said about him I do have to wonder if he even considers the animal much or is he just out to prove his product.

I wish you luck but remember to slow down as going too fast can cause more harm then good. Remember to enjoy lots of good times with your pooch too as each day is a gift to be enjoyed. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs