Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

I want a dog that will be good with my son (a timid around dogs 9 year old) yet also a decent watch/warning dog. (Bark and warn me of trouble).
We are only allowed a smallish dog according to our lease or I'd get a nice big floppy type dog because I love them .

I don't want a bitey 'rat dog.' Small dogs tend to nip.

The other problem is we want a rescue dog but it's so hard to find 'what you want' at a shelter. I don't mind a mixed dog (not a snob and I want to save a life).

Any ideas what to look for? I've had dogs (as a kid ) myself. My parents favored poodles (no thanks) and the best dog I had was a mutt from the pound my brother didn't want so she became my dog. I still miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
the bichon is nice, also you can check out the breed resuce sites for dogs needing a
new home. also the boston terrier which would need less grooming.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Miniature Pinschers are great watchdogs, if that is your primary concern. They are small, not yappy, and require very little grooming, and are not "nippy".
Here's a picture of my little MinPin. She's a shelter dog too.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/carbonmated/100_0360.jpg (broken link)
Oh, I just wanted to add that I got my dog when I was a single woman living alone. I couldn't have asked for a better watchdog to let me know when things were out of place, or a stranger was coming to the door. They are a very observant breed.

Last edited by Carbondated; 10-19-2007 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Pugs are great dogs small but tough and great with kids - in fact my two love everyone

Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM

575 posts, read 3,693,922 times
I'd have to vote on the min pin also. Great little dogs and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I want a dog that will be good with my son (a timid around dogs 9 year old) yet also a decent watch/warning dog. (Bark and warn me of trouble).
We are only allowed a smallish dog according to our lease or I'd get a nice big floppy type dog because I love them .

I don't want a bitey 'rat dog.' Small dogs tend to nip.

The other problem is we want a rescue dog but it's so hard to find 'what you want' at a shelter. I don't mind a mixed dog (not a snob and I want to save a life).

Any ideas what to look for? I've had dogs (as a kid ) myself. My parents favored poodles (no thanks) and the best dog I had was a mutt from the pound my brother didn't want so she became my dog. I still miss her.
I was searching for a dog with a similar 'bill'. First you have to determine what type of energy level you want from a dog. How much energy can you expend to keep it interested. Do you have allergies? How much time will it spend alone? What is your budget?

I looked into a rescue also. Your fee will be from $250-600 for young dogs and $150-300 for older ones.

Some less aggressive dogs with lower energies include the Coton de Tulear, Italian Greyhound, Shih Tzu, Maltese and Toy poodles. West Highland White Terriers are gorgeous but need a yard - unless you can walk him or her a lot. You can consider the Bichon Frise but the annual professional grooming bill is equivalent to the cost of a dog. More tame but 'spoiled' breeds include the Yorkie and Silky Terriers. Look into the Miniature Poodle (larger than the Toy poodle but smarter). Keep in mind, that smaller dogs are harder to housetrain.

Dogs Good For Apartment Life

I don't believe in 'designer breeds' which are high dollar mutts if you ask me.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Miniature Pinschers are great watchdogs, if that is your primary concern. They are small, not yappy, and require very little grooming, and are not "nippy".
Here's a picture of my little MinPin. She's a shelter dog too.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/carbonmated/100_0360.jpg (broken link)
Oh, I just wanted to add that I got my dog when I was a single woman living alone. I couldn't have asked for a better watchdog to let me know when things were out of place, or a stranger was coming to the door. They are a very observant breed.
I have no vote, but ohhh my goodness that is a beautiful dog!
she's BEAUTIFUL!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Pugs are great dogs small but tough and great with kids - in fact my two love everyone
I would also recommend a pug. Our pug is a rescue. He's absolutely wonderful with our kids and barks every time he hears someone at the door. Just a great dog!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
I have no comment on breeds but one on rescues.
I also have a child that is afraid of dogs. After much searching I found a rescue group that really took the time to know their dogs and recommended one to me that fit the description of the type of dog we were looking for.
We ended up with a mutt with a heart of gold. She is very calm and I can't begin to tell you how she has helped my daughter overcome her fear.
I would try calling and visiting your local rescue groups and see if any can help you find a dog that matches your family's needs and circumstances. Not shelters, but the kind of groups that take dogs into their homes while searching for adoptions for them. Living with the animals they have a good idea what they are really like.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM

158 posts, read 604,556 times
Check out the Havanese. They're a big dog in a small dog's body. Havanese Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs