Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,498,662 times

Advertisements

What about a beagle?

The cons of a beagle - they do have a tendency to howl (but can be trained to keep it down to a dull roar) and they may be too big for your apartment's lease terms.

However, the pros of a beagle are multiple - they are very good with kids and can be a decent watchdog in that they will bark at the door when the doorbell rings (mine will bay at the doorbell and then give kisses to whoever comes in though! LOL) My beagle does shed a little bit but needs very minimal grooming. He is energetic and goes with us on long hikes (we did close to 10 miles with him once!) but at other times is content to curl up with us on the couch and snuggle in for a movie.

Our beagle came from BREW Beagles (rescue) in Virginia (you can google them to learn more about the breed as well as see lots of pictures).

I 100% agree with the poster who suggested calling a few different rescues. Ultimately, adopt from the group that tries to learn about you and your family's needs while you are learning about the dogs they have up for adoption. They will probably provide support to you as you and your dog adjust to each other, which is sure to come in handy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
A 20 lb American Eskimo......fantastic dawg but an unabashed flirt......and the biggest thief in the world.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
I'd suggest going on Petfinder.com and see what's available and to your liking. I have a maltese and he is the most gentlemanly dog you'd ever want. He's non-shedding, small, good with everyone, and does bark if someone steps on our property. We researched dog breeds for two years before we got him. All in all a great dog!

I also have a shihtzupoo who is bigger, sturdier, more playful, and more doglike than the maltese. He's ten pounds of happiness. He's like a big, happy kid - kind of Gomer Pyle-ish. My DH prefers him because he is more doglike.

There are a lot of great dogs out there waiting of a loving home, so I'm sure you'll find one to your liking if you look around.

P.S. If you don't like sweeping floors everyday get a nonshedding dog. It makes your life so much easier and you don't have to worry about dog hair on your clothes either.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 PM

71 posts, read 287,887 times
Default RE: dog type

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
A 20 lb American Eskimo......fantastic dawg but an unabashed flirt......and the biggest thief in the world.
I have a 12 lb American Eskimo (or at least mostly Eskie, got her at the shelter, not 100% sure...) Although my dog is great with the kids she has been around, I would NOT recommend this breed to someone with a child that is timid around dogs because they are typically NOT good with kids.

Mine's a thief too, but that's because I spoil her and can't stop giving in to the begging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs