Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,149 times

Advertisements

It's way too hot here in New Mexico for my dogs right now. They are panting all the time as we have a crappy a/c system. One of our dogs is happy to wear a wet dish towel on her back to cool down, but the other dog hates this. Any ideas on how to cool down our water-phobic dog? I hate to see him overheat! Sometimes we put a fan right in front of him but he just walks off. His favorite thing right now is to lie in full sun and then come inside and drink a whole bowl of water

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,557,562 times
My cousin puts out a tray filled with ice cubes with a towel over them. There are also large cold packs that you can freeze and put them out with a towel. They don't stay cold for a real long time, but they help.

Make sure the dogs have shade, plenty of water, and a fan is always nice.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,787,383 times
Sometimes the dogs "seem" water-phobic, but really enjoy the after effects.

I take my dog outside and he knows when I start going toward the hose, it's coming. He starts backing away, but I pull him toward me, and he's not happy at the moment, however, he lets me hold him on a leash, while I gently spray his whole body, including his belly. Afterwards, he is "smiling" (you know, a doggie tooth smile) and running around and feeling good.

Indoors, sometimes I just use a spray bottle and gently spray it on his back and ears and feet. And then put the fan close to him. I also use a portable swamp cooler in the house (they are cheap) and cart it from room to room, along with using an overhead fan. Of course, as has been said, lots of water and ice cubes in the water.

You could always shave the dog!!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
NO, don't shave the dog! They can get sunburned. All that hair is actually insulation for them as well as protection from the sun. Some of mine like to lie in the bathroom on the tile and one or two used to lie IN the bathtub for the cool feeling of the ceramic. Just keep them inside with you when the heat is brutal.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 PM

593 posts, read 2,896,101 times
Get some marble or ceramic tile for them to lay on maybe.
The fan idea was a good one too. I've learned not to underestimate the power of a $14 box fan to make the place much more comfortable. Don't know how I lived without one all these years.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,437,191 times
Cool Mats!
They sell them all over...but this happened to be the first to pop up.
Dog Cooling Mats | Pet Mat | Body Cooler® Products For Pets

Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
Alot of the dogs that do agility out here in the summer heat use the cooling mats or the cooling wraps/vests/collars there is a whole line of such products. They also tend to get hosed off which really helps.

My dogs love cool floors and their fan or a trip to the beach for a dip in the ocean when it gets hot.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
It's way too hot here in New Mexico for my dogs right now. They are panting all the time as we have a crappy a/c system. One of our dogs is happy to wear a wet dish towel on her back to cool down, but the other dog hates this. Any ideas on how to cool down our water-phobic dog? I hate to see him overheat! Sometimes we put a fan right in front of him but he just walks off. His favorite thing right now is to lie in full sun and then come inside and drink a whole bowl of water

Thanks
I have 2 Golden Retrievers. We took them for summer cuts* and we walk them very late during the evening to avoid the heat. Lots of water and A/C. One of them sleeps in the bathroom because it's fresher.

*do not shave them. sunburn is possible!!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,787,383 times
Ooops, sorry, used the wrong word. I DO cut my dog's hair -- no, I don't shave him.

Tiles are good, if you have them. I guess I'm fortunate that my lab mix is so gentle, that when I spray him, he doesn't fight me, and seems really happy afterwards. Of course, if you saw him before I sprayed him, you might not, but seeing his joy afterwards, it's obvious he loved it.

I don't know. Each dog is different, and so is each owner. I've seen little baby pools at the dog parks -- but you're talking about a water-aversive dog.

I don't know the answer, really, except for air conditioning, and fans.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,502 times
I second the cooling mats! They also make cooling vests -

Cool K9 Cooling Vest for dogs

And try to walk during the early morning/late evening as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs