Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM

16 posts, read 45,980 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to ask my own question!

Soooo I've wanted a Pekingese for years, since I did a project on them in elementary school. I only like small dogs- big ones scare me and all the ones I've encountered are quite jumpy and just not for me. I still have my heart set on this particular breed and have recently started doing research again. I plan on waiting until after I graduate college this summer and have a steady job and savings. I currently live in a pet-friendly building in New York City but do not know how much longer I will live in this building after I get a "real" job. But I still like being prepared. I have done a lot of research on the breed, but I have a few specific questions that I haven't seen answered in online searches:

1) Bladder issues: How long can (adult) Pekes hold it? I will likely have a 9-5 job like most people. Since Pekes are so small, will it be able to hold it for 8 hours like other adult dogs can? I am not interested in getting a puppy. I would like to adopt a Peke from a rescue (although I have read that they are very picky) so that it would be socialized properly, housebroken, etc. but am also open to Petfinder and (less so) Craigslist. I would still prefer a young dog, maybe 1 or 2 years old since I would like to have this dog for a long long time! Will an adult Peke be able to hold it for 8 hours or is its bladder function still as limited as puppys would be?
2) Age: I know that I don't want a puppy, but at how many months does a dog stop being a puppy? At what age does it become an uphill battle to train/housebreak a dog? What would be the best age range to look for?
3) Walking: Another reason I love Pekes is because they are supposedly very low energy. I like to walk for fun and to save money, but I'm a couch potato by nature. How long do Pekes need to be walked? I know 2x a day, 15-30 minutes depending on exercise needs of the breed is pretty much standard, but does that differ for toy dogs? Especially ones with short, bowed legs like the Peke?
4) I was thinking that it might be best to train the dog to use a litterbox so it can go while I'm at work or something AND also because I read that small dogs often don't want to go outside in the winter and Pekes are prone to heat stroke and heat-related illnesses. I would still walk the dog, just not walk it so it can do its business. Good idea or not?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Generally dogs are trained to go on "puppy pads". Which is a good idea. They sell them in pet stores.
It is difficult to answer all of your questions, because...each dog is individual. But they grow out of the "puppy" stage at around 18 months.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, and it's refreshing to see someone taking the time to do the research and ask the questions beforehand instead of just rushing out to get a cute puppy...it's also wonderful that you plan to go through a rescue and adopt an adult peke...good for you!

I don't have any experience with this particular breed, but I do have chihuahuas and can say that the potty thing is harder for small dogs (small bladders) to hold for long periods of time, and they also tend to be turned off by inclement weather of any kind, be it cold, extreme heat, or rain/snow, so I do think it's a great idea to either litterbox train or leave out potty pads in a designated area for them to use. Mine have been trained to go on the pads, which I only do in bad weather or if I plan to be out of the house for more than a few hours. As for the length of the walks, I think it depends on the dog's personality almost as much as the breed...my girls will go outside in the yard and run and play and get intensive exercise for 15 - 20 minutes, and then they're ready to get back on the couch for more lounging time ...they do this 4 - 5 times a day, so they get an hour to an hour and a half of daily outdoor activity, depending on their mood and the weather. One of my favorite things about little dogs like chis is that they love to sleep in and snuggle, and will not bark me awake in the morning ...some days I literally have to coax them out of bed, LOL !

As far as age and ability to re-train, I think almost any dog CAN learn "new tricks" when they're older, in fact I have a chi. I rescued at the age of 8 who was never trained at all...when I took her in, she had some serious marking behavior going on, and now she has learned that potties belong outside or on the pads. There are still occasional accidents with her, but she has come a long way, and she had some major issues besides the marking that have also improved immensely, and I believe most of the issues were directly related to the fact that she was in a loveless and neglected situation for so long in her previous home, and was outside ALL the time. In short, when dogs are loved, trained through positive reinforcement methods, feel safe, and have a consistent routine, they do very well...there are always exceptions, of course, but I think this is true for most dogs!

I have a feeling you're going to be a wonderful and responsible dog parent, and I'm so excited for you to start a new chapter in your life, complete with the unconditional love of a four-legged friend !

Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Start here: Pekingese FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions About Pekingese Dogs this site has a lot of good and accurate information on Pekes as well as other breeds.

This is the national breed club: The Pekingese Club of America You can get a lot of good, accurate information from them. Especially check out the rescue and medical links.

In general dogs are fully physically and mentally mature by about 2 years of age. Some mature earlier and a few later but that's a good rule of thumb.

As far as house training (or any other training) goes, any healthy dog can be trained at any age. It just takes patience and consistency in enforcing the rules. If you train to a pad it's best to get a female since they don't lift their legs to pee. An adult male is likely to already be doing just that which makes pad training difficult.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
1) Bladder issues: an adult peke whos been trained to "hold it" can easily hold its bladder/bowls for an 8 hour work day...our 3lbs chihuahua goes 8 hrs no problem on average

2) Age: id say look for a dog between 1-3 yrs of age, by a year they are typically past the active into everything puppy stage, but still have that "puppy" appeal, by 2 years they are phsycially and mentally mature (though it can take 3 years for a pekes full coat to mature) i generally refer to this as the teenage stage and 3 years puts them at "true" adult hood, full coat, generally starting to settle down on the energy level ect. pekes do have a long life expectancy however so adopting an even older peke wont put a dampner on your time with your dog...

3) Walking: Id say excersize wise many pekes can get enough excersize even just indoors...some toy breeds are higher energy and need as much excersize as a lab, others are alot more sedentary..pekes were bred to be carried alot and pretty much just toodle around, so on a nice day a simple walk around the block is enough...on a rainy or snowy day your peke isnt going to hate you if you just play a game of fetch in your livingroom for excersize.
they do need mental stimulation though, and i find this just as important as physical excersize...cant get out for that 15 -30 min walk, do some training drills sit, stay down dance ect.

that being said, many pekes enjoy going out and meeting new people, so as long as your willing to stroll rather than power walk in the nice weather a peke thats been proerly socilized will also enjoy walking much further if it means sitting on the coffee shop patio being lavished with attention

4) our chihuahuas are potty pad trained as well as outside trained, theres nO reason you cant do both...but theres also no reason you cant "litter box" train, youll want to use either pee pads, or a pellet based litter, dogs dont do well with cleay/clumping litter...weve had the best sucess with the pee pads as the dogs dont seem to like walking on the pellet litter...but we do keep our pee pads in a plastic tray/box which provides a boundry line (and a wall for the leg lifting male lol.)
we chose this method because 1: connecticut winters, 2: my dads sail boat, kind of hard to find grass when your out on the ocean lol.

its worked great for us, when were hoem and the weathers nice they go outside, when were gone for extended periods, emergencies, or the weathers bad they happily use the pee pads.

that being said some dogs wont ever catch on to pee pads and even refuse to use them, especially if not introduced early...
my female chinese crested would rather explode than use the litter box...so thats something to keep in mind if going the route of older dog and litterbox training. in those cases you might have more luck with the doggy potties that look more like a lawn...

pekes are adorable "little" dogs, but remember, while they are short of stature they are hefty, so you might want to keep that in mind if you live in a building with alot of stairs and no elevator, they dont do well with stairs due to the long body short leggs nature, so be sure youll be able to carry your peke comfortably up and down any stairs if nessicary.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 45,980 times
Lots of great answers! Thanks everyone

Just a follow-up though, how odor-absorbent are those puppy pads? Will I come home to a strong scent of pee and poo in the beginning? haha.

I don't plan to get a dog for at least a year (want to make sure my finances are all in order first) but having more info on the breed is always a good thing! I'll be sure to stop by the forums again when I bring my little one home Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
weve never had any problems with odor, urine odor is none existent...poop we pick up imediatly, but if weve been out for a while and come home to poop in the pee box theres no odor unless someones got an upset tummy.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycstudent View Post
Lots of great answers! Thanks everyone

Just a follow-up though, how odor-absorbent are those puppy pads? Will I come home to a strong scent of pee and poo in the beginning? haha.

I don't plan to get a dog for at least a year (want to make sure my finances are all in order first) but having more info on the breed is always a good thing! I'll be sure to stop by the forums again when I bring my little one home Thanks again!
Pictures please....we love pictures

Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM

101 posts, read 288,809 times
Pekes are some of the best dogs ever. I had them as a kid and now thankfully own one again.

They have nasal problems because of their small nose and smushed in face so they usually sneeze alot, if you plan on being close to your dog be prepared to be sneezed on.

They are very stubborn and tempermental(SP), Pekes want to do what they want to do, no matter what. Don't take that they can't be trained just they want to do what they want LOL.

Be careful of their eyes. You have to watch how you pet your dog, with the shape of their head they are prone to have their eyes pop out if not being petted right(I have owned 5 never had it happen but you see one eyed Pekes all the time to be adopted).

You are not adopting a Peke, they are adopting you. Don't even think that YOUR buying a dog, they are BUYING a human. The are very territorial and loyal.

With all this said you probably are better off with a pup because the Pekes up for adoption are set in their ways.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Wow you learn something every day on this forum. Did not know that about pekes, but i did know that you have to be careful in the manner you pet them none of the other stuff.

We now have 2 poms, know what you mean one is believe it 16 years of age, and going strong, the other is 2 a shelter dog we got last year in May.

They both have personalities, but the younger one, is so stocky, and built like a football player, he is all muscle, and tough. He is very teritorial with all of us in the home. He sometimes forgets he is a smaller dog, people are actually afraid of him when they here him.

He is so adorable, does tricks, from the time we took him home a couple weeks later after his illness he started doing tricks, he was happy.

He believes this dances, turns himself around, throws his paws up to the music, and he makes small talk for dogs while the music is on.

He will shake your hand with both paws, then he grabs you puts you closer to him, and his paws around your neck he is so dang cute. He also plays hide and seek, he is a hoot.

We were actually going to get a peke, but decided not to, because i was told of the problems they have and the nasal problems. So gald you are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs