Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 33,553 times

Advertisements

I have a teacup pool and she is the best dog in the world you could possibly consider. She is just over 3 pounds and is the sweetest dog. We named her Phoebe after our favorite TV show Friends. She is now 6 years old and thinks she is human. Never sheds, her bark is so frail that it never disturbs you and she loves to be on your lap. Great Dog...you should check into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
I would search for a miniature dachshund or dachshund mix. You should be able to find a dachshund mix at a local shelter if you go to petfinder. Dachshunds have good personalities and are great watchdogs.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,523,425 times
Default teatime is right

Everyone wants what a breed is supposed to look like and the ones that don't are bypassed.Our Mini schnauzer was like that also but she had a smaller head then normal and believe me if it wasn't for us she would not have been adopted. What a shame that would have been since she is the best behaved dog we have ever had.On top of that when we got the papillion our mini took over and protected her from our doxie(our old lady). The mini would go in between both of them and nudge the pap away.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I would search for a miniature dachshund or dachshund mix. You should be able to find a dachshund mix at a local shelter if you go to petfinder. Dachshunds have good personalities and are great watchdogs.
I love our dauchund but she has always been protective of the family and we have to warn anyone who comes in to leave her alone.She knows family though since even though we moved cross country three years ago when the grandkids visit we do not need to worry only strangers. When we were moving the guys were in our house all day long and she let them pet her and after an hour she was fine.They were through and left but one guy forgot something and came back in and she bit his pants.Great watch dog though.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKnowItAll View Post
I have a teacup pool and she is the best dog in the world you could possibly consider. She is just over 3 pounds and is the sweetest dog. We named her Phoebe after our favorite TV show Friends. She is now 6 years old and thinks she is human. Never sheds, her bark is so frail that it never disturbs you and she loves to be on your lap. Great Dog...you should check into it.
Oh I know what you mean. Years ago we had two tea cups and yes they are the sweetest.It broke my heart when I had to put them down but they lived for 14 and one 15 years.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
Default Great small Dogs

The papillion is a great dog for families. I have two, one of which is a larger pap- watson is about 15 pounds and stands 15inches tall ( not a show dog) and one that is show quality (Louie) both of which are awesome.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Default They have a bad rap

We were warned that paps were hard to house break. Not so. Our amy who is 5lbs was so easy but I would let her out with my other two dogs so they really trained her. When I go out with her all I have to say is "Amy be a good girl" and she goes.She is not show quality since when we got her fom a breeder and we thought a good one we found out 10 mos later that she has problem with her verterbra. Our vet thought it was patella and when he started the operation he saw it wasn't took x rays and found that her cervacal was attached to her vertabra on two different levels. He said it was a birth defect and helped us get our money back and keep our Amy. The breeder wanted to take her back but after 11 months no way.We owe our vet so much for fighting the breeder.All she needs reight now is a pain pill every few days.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
We have had 5 little family dogs that play and get along fine.......
We call them the "cousins" They all can be trusted together, and at our family gatherings they are all here. The cutest little group you can imagine!
From what you have expressed as traits you'd like, I think a Lhasa Apso would be the right dog for you.
They are fun spirited. Ours loved to go after the golf balls ,and return them back to you, so that you'd putt it out again. She loved to sit in the window and let us know who was coming. A wonderful family member. ALAC - Committees
When she was a pup, she would take the hat off of one of the boys heads.........and race away......waiting for someone to chase her. Funny girl.
My personal family favorite is my oldest daughters Shih Tzu. They are long haired, small, and cuddling. Lover of all children and family members. Sitting quietly by the new babies when they would come home..........Just the sweetest, mellow dog, and so loving.
The Bichon as someone suggested is my middle daughters dog. They are fun loving, playful and a great loving dog. A bit laid back as a watch dog however. Just glad to be petted ,and glad to see you. It took a bit of time to train him, they even paid for someone to teach him how to use the outdoors. Once he got with the "cousin family pack" he learned without anymore fanfare!
The other two dogs you don't prefer ........we do have a small poodle. He certainly lets us know if someone is coming, and he follows me everywhere. Can't to to the pool or garden without him........nor anywhere else...LOL
Our youngest daugher has a Jack Russell. Hers is great, it loves to hug you with both arms on each side of your face. Watch out for WET Kisses!! I don't think all in this breed have the same in temperment, so although we love our Angel........I wouldn't suggest the J.R. to you.
Gosh, you have a lot of suggestions here. So the trick is to find the right personality to match you and your family.......especially your son.
Our Lhasa left us this summer in June, she is burried up top the hill from our home.
All of the daughters, and children, walked the mountain to say their goodbyes.
Her fun loving spirit is what we will always remember.
Best of luck in your search. Do all the homework you can on the breed you choose, to be sure its the exact match for your needs....Matching your wants and needs. I found our dogs to match perfectly with what the information was forthcoming, in books and other media.
I'll be happy to know when you find the right pup, and what you finally choose.

Last edited by Summering; 10-29-2007 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: add picture

Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 21,260 times
My vote goes the Miniature Australian Shepherd. They typically weigh in between 15 and 25 pounds with females on the lower and males on the upper end of the spectrum. Nice and compact for car rides, beautiful color combos and not "bratty" like terriers. They are happiest around the family as they are herders. Their coats are medium in length and although they need a brushing once in a while they don't shed much and don't require extensive grooming. Not yappy, but will bark when strangers come to the door.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,633 times
Hi have to agree with Flashbaak. We got our first Havanese late October, she was 4 months old. She is terrific with our 2 boys and they love her because she is full of energy and puppy joy. I love her because she is sweet, has a great temperment and doesn't shed. If you read up on the Havanese you'll find they make great family pets. TcJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs