Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 PM

797 posts, read 2,993,436 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions on good small dogs.-p3300024.jpg
Really great small dog and actually known for alerting owners.There is actually a story about a pug saving William the Silent of the House of Orange from an attack from the Spanish.

It is a great breed for kids especially because they are more like cuddly teddy bears than anything else. After they get into adulthood they really settle down and become real couch potatoes but still remain on alert always. They are very friendly no need to worry about nipping and even though they might act tough they really don't have a mean bone in them. (They just like to announce visitors.)

If you consider the min-pin I would mention that my MIL has been through 2 already, unfortunately both were lost to chasing cars. I feel like they are a breed that gets nosey and doesn't do well being cooped up. Also my grandmother has an italian greyhound and while she is good at alerting people she does nip at my kids and her bark is way too loud for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
I love so many of the breeds mentioned - pugs should not even be legal, they are so cute!!! :

But if I were to get a small dog, I think it would be the Boston Terrier.

The Bostons make good watchdogs, are excellent with children and other pets - that's an unusual trait for small dogs . Bostons are also easy to keep groomed/clean, there's not much to it.

Terriers are high energy though and can be mischevious, so you have to be up for that if you want a terrier (and do not get a Jack Russell terrier - these are just too high energy for most anything but a farm ).

Plenty of Boston rescue groups around too.

Last edited by riveree; 10-19-2007 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
big boned small dog a kid can get a bit rought with...try a corgi

Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I would also recommend a pug. Our pug is a rescue. He's absolutely wonderful with our kids and barks every time he hears someone at the door. Just a great dog!
We have one that was a rescue and another that we brought as a puppy they are great and both get along with our older Boxer.
But they are all totally spoilt and yes they ALL sleep in our bedroom !!! My poor Husband says he has to suffer all 4 of us snoring.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:52 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
What are you looking for in energy level? What type of grooming? What size besides small? Whats the max for your lease? Pug does sound pretty good. You can get purebreds at shelters and for sure at a purebred Pug rescue.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
big boned small dog a kid can get a bit rought with...try a corgi
corgis are fun once you get them to keep their yapper shut. They are so smart and fun to play w/.
i would say a mini aussie, but you said a small dog and aussies are heavy energy and personality regardless of size

Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I have no comment on breeds but one on rescues.
I also have a child that is afraid of dogs. After much searching I found a rescue group that really took the time to know their dogs and recommended one to me that fit the description of the type of dog we were looking for.
We ended up with a mutt with a heart of gold. She is very calm and I can't begin to tell you how she has helped my daughter overcome her fear.
I would try calling and visiting your local rescue groups and see if any can help you find a dog that matches your family's needs and circumstances. Not shelters, but the kind of groups that take dogs into their homes while searching for adoptions for them. Living with the animals they have a good idea what they are really like.
Excellent suggestions. Those would be the Breed Rescue groups. The deal mostly with their own breeds of choice, since they are people who own that breed, know it, and love it. You can find them on www. AKC.org. Pick a few and call them. Not all local chapters are listed there, but they can put you in contact with the closest one to you. Best part of it is they can tell you about the breed and see if it "fits" what you're looking for.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:39 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
Here is a good site for dog owners:

Dog Forums - Your #1 Pet Forums for all dog breeds and needs.

Here is one on selecting dogs:
Find the Perfect Dog, Dog Search, Dogs broken down into Search Categories, Which Breed is right for you, Breed Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 AM

960 posts, read 1,689,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Attachment 9165
Really great small dog and actually known for alerting owners.There is actually a story about a pug saving William the Silent of the House of Orange from an attack from the Spanish.

It is a great breed for kids especially because they are more like cuddly teddy bears than anything else. After they get into adulthood they really settle down and become real couch potatoes but still remain on alert always. They are very friendly no need to worry about nipping and even though they might act tough they really don't have a mean bone in them. (They just like to announce visitors.)

If you consider the min-pin I would mention that my MIL has been through 2 already, unfortunately both were lost to chasing cars. I feel like they are a breed that gets nosey and doesn't do well being cooped up. Also my grandmother has an italian greyhound and while she is good at alerting people she does nip at my kids and her bark is way too loud for me.
So sorry to hear that your MIL lost 2 MinPins due to chasing cars. MinPins do require physical and mental stimulation, not as much as a Jack Russel, but they do require it. If the OP is looking for a "couch potato" type of demeanor, then I would suggest looking at another breed.

Kelly3120 - Thanks for the compliment. We do think our girl is gorgeous too.

Last edited by Carbondated; 10-20-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
From my experience Min Pins if not raised in the home can be timid around young kids. Timid dog + timid child= possible problems!

Go and talk to your local shelter and explain your parameters to see if they could be of any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs