Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,947 times

Advertisements

We shouldn't have done it but my husband always wanted a bloodhound once we bought our own land. Someone was advertising in our local paper and we bought one of the pups. H started getting sick the day after we brought him home. Wouldn't eat, diarrhea, lethargic. I took him to the vet right away. They did a blood test and it showed he was very anemic, also a fecal but there were no worms present. Vet still thought it could be hookworms. She gave me worming meds and some critical care dog food. Then that same night he got worse and had blood in his stool. I called the vet at home and she gave me something stronger for him. I had to force feed him for 3 days but he seemed to be getting better.

He finished his meds on Wednesday and last night he was starting to get sick again. I called the vet again this morning and she gave me another round of meds for him. I also got ahold of the breeder and they are going to take him back and return our money. I like the little guy I really do. I can't afford monsterous vet bills regularly and I have a feeling he is just not a healthy dog. They are out of town so I have to wait until they get back. Which is why I bought more meds for him. I don't want him to die. The vet is sure it isn't parvo. Although she can't vaccinate him right now because he is not well enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Sorry to hear about your pup - sounds like you've been giving him really good care

Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Can't you keep the little fellow if he recovers? It sounds like he came from a bad place!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
it also potentially sounds like a possible parvo case, ws parvo rulled out beyond just looking at him?! if not id want it definatly ruled out. its odd that he got worse again whent he medication was finnished, makes me think theres emthign alot bigger than worms going on in that poor pup. Distemper can also cause all the symptoms your describing.

though i will give kudos for not only offering to take the puppy back but reinbursing you too...thats unuusal of most BYB's who will usually give you the "its not our fault" deal.
but still...
sorry your hving to go through this.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
You didn't say how old the puppy was? I'll second Foxy's comment about the breeder taking it back, that's the sign of a good breeder. We do have a member here that is a bloodhound breeder and they might be willing to help you find the right dog for you, you also might consider a bloodhound rescue and you wouldn't run into the health issues that puppies are plauged with.

On another note, if you do get another dog you will have to decontaminate your home and yard and anywhere the puppy was.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
I would get a second opinion from another vet.. Sounds like the sick pup needs to be in ICU. Keep records and receipts and then go back to the seller either way (regardless if the puppy survives or not), even if it takes civil court.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
I agree about the 2nd opinion, and maybe ICU. This sounds very serious. Prayers for your puppy.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM

He is up and moving around again after 2 doses of meds today and force feeding every 3 hours. He is drinking plenty on his own. Pee is normal looking. If he does anything like last weekend he will eat on his own again starting tomorrow. But even once he was eating on his own it was very little. Every puppy I have owned has had a huge appetite.

As far as decontaminating the yard how do I do that? I have picked up after him each time he goes out and I water down the area. We have other dogs. They are all healthy and vacinated so I am assuming if they get sick I would be able to get them under control right away.

I was under the impression distemper was more of a respirtory illness and parvo along the same lines. He has no respirtory distress at all. It all seems intestinal.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
parvo comes in 2 forms, cardiac and intestinal, with intestinal being the most common.
the most common symptoms of parvo are vomiting and Severe diarrhea (disentary) the diarrhea usually as the illness progresses contains mucus, blood and eventually turns BLACK and smells like death itself if not treated. (turning black is the blood, the smell is the decaying internl tissue.
the Biggest risk with parvo is dehydration, even a puppy thats drinking, if they have diarrhea can become dehydrated, the other is secondary infections.
parvo is MUCH more dangerous when theres also the presence of intestinal parisites (worms)
lethargy and loss of apitite along wiht bloody stools are the 3 mjor symptoms of parvo.

if it is parvo, the best way of cleaning up is 1: pick up, 2: spray/soak any area hes been with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution, parvo can be tracked on the feet and your shoes, hands, equiptment used to pick up poop ect...
if it is parvo hell be contgeous for up to 3 weeks after "recovery"

Distemper usually effects BOTH respitory and gastrointestinal system.
first symptom is usually a fever, commonly accompanined by any or all of the following, weepy eyes, diarrhea, fever, runny nose, cough and vomiting.

other possibilities could be coronavirus which very typically causes symptoms similar to but not quite as sever as parvo, and Coccidiosis which gain causes loss of apitite lethargy diarrhea ect.

what medication is he on?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM

It starts with an M. I would look at it but I am holding him and don't want to move him. He isn't vomiting at all. He does have blood streaks in his stool and it is mucousy. The sellers told me none of the other puppies are sick but I have a hard time believing that as sick as he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs