Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

oh and given it was an outdoor kennel get him checked for Lepto.
lepto is spread by mice (and rats) and can be quite common in outdor kenneld dogs, its spread USUALLY in water, the mouse takes a drink (and mice and rats are "incontinent often urinating while thier drinking, right into the water dish ect) or pees on the ground and the dog is then directly exposed.
in adult dogs lepto usually passes quickly (and often with little to no smptoms) but in puppies it can be a big problem. the lepto vaccine doesnt protect against all strains (and is often more dangerous than the illness itself) but should be on the vaccine list for ANYONE who keeps dogs in a kenneld situation, the average house dog (puppy from a breeder who raises their dogs indoors) isnt going to be as likely to be exposed to lepto so i generlaly shy away from giving the lepto vaccine, BUT given this puppy came from a person rasing the pups outdoors (and even super clean houses can have mice to unfortunatly clenlyness doesnt rule out rodent born illness) its definatly something id be checking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,035 times
Foxy thank you so much for all your valuable info.

We are on day 4 of the 2nd round of meds. He is eating and drinking like a champ today. Playing constantly. Even woke me up 4 times last night to go potty. : The other nights he was to lethargic to let me know. I had him in the bathroom with lots of newspaper and puppy pads. It even looks like he has gained just a bit of weight.

I will probably end up keeping him. I have grown so attached to him. Darn it he was supposed to be my husbands dog not mine. LOL!! I already am owned by 2 mini dachshunds and a rescue dog. But the way it looks right now he is mine.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
they become "everyones" dog anyway, so i woudnt be too worried...i think if he pulls through this hes earnt his right to stay lol.

Sounds like hes on the right path with the meds, ive got my fingers crossed he not only continues to improve but that he makes a full swift recovery

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 AM

42 posts, read 107,885 times
Difficult to decide, really bad time to go through.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,035 times
He is still on track for recovery. Eating and drinking the way he should. Playing and whining. LOL!! I do wish his stool would get firmer it is grossing me out cleaning up after him. Not that any of it is fun but less gross.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
He is still on track for recovery. Eating and drinking the way he should. Playing and whining. LOL!! I do wish his stool would get firmer it is grossing me out cleaning up after him. Not that any of it is fun but less gross.

Add some fiber into his food. 2 big table spoons of
100% canned pumpkin on top of his food. This may help to firm his stool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs