Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,728 times

Advertisements

Anyone..can you help me on this matter? Is there any way that my puppy would not eat plastic? He's just 2 months and now he's in hospital for medication... I'm afraid if he needs surgery...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
You have to watch puppies ALL THE TIME.

Before bringing a puppy home you have got to actually sit on the floor and see what's available for chewing, biting, etc. Then remove it! And if you can't watch your puppy, he/she should be in a puppy-safe place, like a crate.

And the bad things include ELECTRICAL CORDS. Dogs have been electrocuted to death from chewing these. I got an old length of garden hose, slit it lengthwise, put the electrical cords in it and then taped it shut. Not pretty, but safe from chewing.

Sorry your puppy is ill. If surgery is necessary it's likely the only thing that will save his life.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Puppies just can't be left to roam the house. When you are home, the puppy should be leashed to your belt (which also teaches the puppy that you are boss and helps the puppy bond to you) or otherwise physically restrained from getting more than 3 feet away from you. If you have to leave the puppy needs to be (i) in a pen, (ii) in a crate, (iii) going with you or (iv) babysat. They are completely ignorant of danger and will try to eat/chew anything that they can reach. If you don't want it to wind up in the puppies mouth, don't have it on the floor.

I'm sorry your puppy is sick. I know how this feels. When the puppy comes home safe, however, you will not forget about this little scare. This will make you a better steward in the long run.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
hope your pup is ok.
keep and eye on him and replace your things w/ his and praise.
they are such silly little things at that age.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hestiwidodo View Post
Anyone..can you help me on this matter? Is there any way that my puppy would not eat plastic? He's just 2 months and now he's in hospital for medication... I'm afraid if he needs surgery...
You should get your 2 month old puppy a crate. When you are not able to watch him, like if you go to work or something, put him in the crate.

It's a safe place for him and keeps him from chewing on things he shouldn't .

Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
I hope you are not keeping him outside! He needs to be in a crate with some chew toys and squeakies. Puppies need to chew because of teething. What are you reeding the pup?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I agree. Crates are great for puppies. They will not go to the bathroom in their bed, so it's a great way to house train them. When I had a foster puppy, I let him sleep in my bed too. He never went pee in my bed, but I had to watch him in case he did need to go. He would curl up around my head at night. It was beautiful.

I hope your baby is okay. Plastic can cause obstructions, so surgery may necessary.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Default Rawhide Toys...

I had a puppy who swallowed a Rawhide chewy and it made him really sick until it passed. Luckily he didn't have to have surgery.

I've never given another puppy those rawhide chewy's since then.. They may be "all natural" but if they swallow them they are not digestible.

heistiwidodo, How is your dog doing? Are you still with us???

Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
No followup? What happened to the OP's pup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs