Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times

Advertisements

No Bike! Toffee is a Little Dog she Never going to be-able to keep up! As Foxy says she a puppy!! I havent even started teaching LadyBug to walk/trot by my scooter yet & it only goes 5 MPH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,118,071 times
I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I'm glad you're trying to work things out with Toffee. I imagine bringing home a new dog is like bringing home a new baby. You have this wonderful picture in your head and the reality is so much different than that picture. Your whole life changes when you bring home a dog and it takes some getting used to.

I have a mini doxie I adopted from a rescue when he was 8 months old. Honestly he was a nightmare at first. He was wild and destructive and screamed and cried in his crate, not to mention he went potty all over my house no matter how long and how often I had him outside. There were quite a few times I had to put him in his crate and go cry because I was so frustrated and wanted to give up. It took a LOT of hard work, but today he is almost perfectly house trained and with age he has calmed down a LOT. He doesn't chew anything but his toys and I can trust him with free rein of the house knowing he won't destroy anything. Hang in there. It will get better. Do you have a neighbor who could maybe let Toffee out and give her some attention while you're at work? A lot of people work and still have dogs. You can do this!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 87,229 times
Still have the dog...

She's doing better in the smaller crate. I can take the smaller crate into my room and have her sleep in there so she won't wake me up after I've only slept for 4-5 hours, or I won't wake up out of anxiety that she's pooping in my room or chewing something up. She does well in the crate when I'm around. Not much whining, even though I can tell she does not want to be in there. She just goes to sleep, or she'll watch me while I sleep.

Tonight I went to work and left her in the crate. I left work early and came home after 6 hours, and she did okay. She screamed when I left and I could tell she tried to break out because a piece of the crate's latch came off, but I don't know how long that went for. She didn't poop or pee in the crate so that's good. She's actually been pretty consistent in pooping and peeing immediately after she eats so I usually just feed her outside and don't let her back in til she's pottied.

My shifts are usually 7-10 hours though, so sometimes it may take me up to 10-11 hours to get home. I wonder if she can handle that long in that crate? The nice thing is that I usually go to work during her "tired" hours so it's easier on her. To answer your question, strawberrykiki, I unfortunately do not have neighbors who can visit her. I work the night shift so most of the world is sleeping while I work.

Shes actually a pretty good dog. She follow commands and doesn't try to force her way out the door like some of my dogs did in the past, for instance. She is overall pretty obedient. My main problem with her was her chewing on valuables, pottying in the house, screaming/destroying things when left alone, and just too hyper in general and eager to break into areas she's not allowed to. I'm starting to feel like these things can be improved on, and she'll also get better as she gets older.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,341,290 times
Give the dog a kong filled with yogurt (freeze it first) when you put her in the crate when you leave. It will: 1) make her associate your leaving with a fabulous treat; and 2) keep her busy when you leave (it takes a good while for them to lick out all of the frozen stuff). And it's also mental stimulation.

I did this with mine, and after awhile when I started to do things that hinted to her I would be leaving, she would run to her crate.

P.S. I used vanilla yogurt, and always kept a few kongs in the freezer.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccheng82x View Post
Still have the dog...

She's doing better in the smaller crate. I can take the smaller crate into my room and have her sleep in there so she won't wake me up after I've only slept for 4-5 hours, or I won't wake up out of anxiety that she's pooping in my room or chewing something up. She does well in the crate when I'm around. Not much whining, even though I can tell she does not want to be in there. She just goes to sleep, or she'll watch me while I sleep.

Tonight I went to work and left her in the crate. I left work early and came home after 6 hours, and she did okay. She screamed when I left and I could tell she tried to break out because a piece of the crate's latch came off, but I don't know how long that went for. She didn't poop or pee in the crate so that's good. She's actually been pretty consistent in pooping and peeing immediately after she eats so I usually just feed her outside and don't let her back in til she's pottied.

My shifts are usually 7-10 hours though, so sometimes it may take me up to 10-11 hours to get home. I wonder if she can handle that long in that crate? The nice thing is that I usually go to work during her "tired" hours so it's easier on her. To answer your question, strawberrykiki, I unfortunately do not have neighbors who can visit her. I work the night shift so most of the world is sleeping while I work.

Shes actually a pretty good dog. She follow commands and doesn't try to force her way out the door like some of my dogs did in the past, for instance. She is overall pretty obedient. My main problem with her was her chewing on valuables, pottying in the house, screaming/destroying things when left alone, and just too hyper in general and eager to break into areas she's not allowed to. I'm starting to feel like these things can be improved on, and she'll also get better as she gets older.
It sounds like things are settling down, that you both are adjusting, and that a routine of sorts is being worked out.

That's such good news - for both of you. I'm sure a couple of months down the road from now, you'll barely remember the struggles and will be wondering how you could ever have even considered taking her back to the shelter.

Congratulations to both of you!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Didn't read the entire thread but I wonder if anyone has suggested one of the axiety wraps that are available. My sister has a Bichon that was extremely hyper, put up a fuss when left alone, barked a lot at company, etc... She got one of the wraps and could not believe the change in her dog's personality and the change and improvement was immediate.

Also, if you haven't done so already, covering the top, back and sides of the kennel may offer a more secure feeling to your dog and she may begin to see it more of a refuge than a jail.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM

11,278 posts, read 19,615,582 times
10-11 hours is way too long for any dog to be crated. WAY too long. Please, find a pet sitter to come in at the 5 or 6 hour mark to take her out for a long walk.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Most of what she doing IS Puppy LOL & Yes she will out grow the Chewing & as she gets older will settle down a bit! How about trying a Plastic crate fo her? It would be more like a cave! Some dogs dont like the wire ones & Maybe she thinking of the shelter when shes in it. Also Do you have a Digital Camera? Most have Video cameras built in...mine is 5 yrs old & can run on a full charge for 45 mins! Audio & Video! IF you do set it up just before you leave turn it on! When you get home skim thru it see IF/When she stops! Might give you a clue IF she carries on for long time or just a short time!
There are also Nanny programs you can get for your computer & watch whats you kids doing at home thru you cell phone! You can also note things like How long til shes quiet til she settlesdown & about when she Has to go potty! Can you leave work [meal break] go home & let her potty? I did that once. I had a momma with a litter at home working 8 hrs day! so on break I ran home put mom out cleaned crate put mom back in went back to work whew! Lucky job was 5 mins away LOL break was 20 mins LOL

http://www.vuezone.com/use-ideas/petcam

Last edited by Katie1; 01-05-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
If I remember, OP said that she comes home around 3am? If so, then halfway through the work shift would be mid-evening. Surely someone could be hired to come and give the dog a respite break, short walk, whatever?
And yes, puppies raise hell no matter what. I think, anyway- my original two did. I worked third shift and they apparently got up quite early. Now I have senior dogs who are in the house from 10:30p to 8a. There are occasional accidents, but not many. Ah, youngsters... I do remember, every time I take a dog (whether it was the original puppies or my seniors adoptions) I have a sinking feeling of, what have I done/what have I gotten into... That goes away.
Best wishes to OP and Toffee.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,022,459 times
OP--

You've gotten some great suggestions here.

I can understand your frustrations and feeling that you've gotten in over your head. I found my pup a year and a half ago, and I *still* get that feeling sometimes (though it's gotten WAY better).

From the start, my pup was crated while I was at work. It was a necessity at the time, and it's become our routine. The first summer was "rough" (according to my neighbors), though now things seem to be just fine. I actually felt quite guilty about him being in the crate for so long until I was home sick for a couple of days, and saw him spending the entire day passed out sleeping next to the crate. I give him peanut butter in his kong when I put him in, and he's fine. Would he like to not be in there? Sure. But, that's not going to happen, so we have to work with what we have...

IMO, the important thing is the relationship that you have with your pup when you are home and are able to spend time with her.

My pup will be two years old in March, and I still call him my "work in progress". I believe that as long as you keep an open mind to suggestions, and relish the small successes along the way, you two will be just fine.

Best of luck to the two of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs