Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniandvee View Post
Reading your comments and need help plz. I have 2kids and we startr walking dogs at the shelter and saw one that we like a Chihuahua mix breed 6 months old, very hyper we go him yesterday and brought him home, was very excited my daughter 7 loves him and play with him but my 10 year old son don't like how he crys and barks and he always in his room. I am not happy the house is different setting I know I should give it a little time to get used to it but feeling very disappointed at my self and crying all the time. What do you think will help me..

Why did you adopt the dog? What was it that made you want a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 8,649 times
Reading your comments and need help plz. I have 2kids and we startr walking dogs at the shelter and saw one that we like a Chihuahua mix breed 6 months old, very hyper we go him yesterday and brought him home, was very excited my daughter 7 loves him and play with him but my 10 year old son don't like how he crys and barks and he always in his room. I am not happy the house is different setting I know I should give it a little time to get used to it but feeling very disappointed at my self and crying all the time. What do you think will help me..

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
You do have to do some training with dogs they just do not magically fit into your home with no issues. You have to teach them what you expect in way of behavior. A shelter dog usually takes a few weeks to settle in to the point where you see what you really have. This poor little dog is no doubt so excited he can not control himself. Make your kids help in training him as it will help them all bond.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Why did you adopt the dog? What was it that made you want a dog?
I had a dog growing up and we all had a great experience with it, wanted that for my kid. Raising it in door is a lots harder than what I was used to. I am really sorry for feeling this way hes a great dog but I cant seems to be a good parent for him... would I be a bad person to take him back?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
I had a dog growing up and we all had a great experience with it, wanted that for my kid. Raising it in door is a lots harder than what I was used to. I am really sorry for feeling this way hes a great dog but I cant seems to be a good parent for him... would I be a bad person to take him back?
I wasn't asking the question to intimidate you or make you feel guilty...but just to see what your expectations are.

As Dashdog noted, your pup will need to be taught what is expected of it. Some dogs never learned to play or how to play right (and with the pup that's going to be key, especially with your son who doesn't seem too engaged right now).

I would highly suggest you talk to a trainer at a pet smart, or even at the shelter where you volunteered. Ask them for help and suggestions and ways to make this better for you. And definitely get and keep your kids involved.

Just like your kids don't just learn something once and often need to be reminded, so will the pup. Training is never just one and done. Keep testing him and challenging him and he will respond.

It is entirely possible that either you and your family are not ready for a dog, or the responsibilities of a dog...and you need to discuss that with your kids and with the shelter. A dog that young can easily find another home.

You sound like you were surprised and a little unprepared for the work that was involved. Maybe a bit overwhelmed. Get advice from the folks here, get advice online, get advice from the folks at the shelter, get advice from a class at pet-smart or a community center - find as much information as you can and arm yourself with knowledge. Empower yourself with the right information and you can still have a great experience with THIS dog.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
This doesn't make you a bad person, some people just aren't good with dogs. Take the dog back. Just limit your interactions with dogs to volunteering to walk them. Dogs deserve to be loved, and your 10 year old and you sound like it is too much trouble, because dogs do require lots of attention, lots of clean up, well worth it in my opinion.....But, just not for some others. DO the right thing for the dog....find her/him a better home asap or return to the shelter immediately. And do not get another dog.

Last edited by JanND; 07-31-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I wasn't asking the question to intimidate you or make you feel guilty...but just to see what your expectations are.

As Dashdog noted, your pup will need to be taught what is expected of it. Some dogs never learned to play or how to play right (and with the pup that's going to be key, especially with your son who doesn't seem too engaged right now).

I would highly suggest you talk to a trainer at a pet smart, or even at the shelter where you volunteered. Ask them for help and suggestions and ways to make this better for you. And definitely get and keep your kids involved.

Just like your kids don't just learn something once and often need to be reminded, so will the pup. Training is never just one and done. Keep testing him and challenging him and he will respond.

It is entirely possible that either you and your family are not ready for a dog, or the responsibilities of a dog...and you need to discuss that with your kids and with the shelter. A dog that young can easily find another home.

You sound like you were surprised and a little unprepared for the work that was involved. Maybe a bit overwhelmed. Get advice from the folks here, get advice online, get advice from the folks at the shelter, get advice from a class at pet-smart or a community center - find as much information as you can and arm yourself with knowledge. Empower yourself with the right information and you can still have a great experience with THIS dog.
Thank you so much for you feed back I really appreciate you taking your time to help me.
I took all of your suggestions and start to making my family more involved, my son is just scared, but I see him last night he really wants the puppy.

I knew it was gonna be hard taking care of a 6 month old, but was was overwhelmed. I did talk to some friends and they too helped me...

We love Tarzan I don't want to give me back..

Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
You do have to do some training with dogs they just do not magically fit into your home with no issues. You have to teach them what you expect in way of behavior. A shelter dog usually takes a few weeks to settle in to the point where you see what you really have. This poor little dog is no doubt so excited he can not control himself. Make your kids help in training him as it will help them all bond.
I realize that I went and got some support from friends that jave pets and I did take your advice and theirs and will keep tarzan, this morning I went to him in his cage and took him out and he was so excited to see me had all the kisses, I know I will take some time to get use to everything and a bit of patients on my part.

Hes such a sweet dog, I will take your advice and start making my family help in training him and will go back to the shelter and get help and tips...
Thank you for your help.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:

I took your advice and went online and friends and will go to the shelter and get help and tips we talked to our kids and yes they do want tarzan to stay with us, will love and grow with him I think he will make us better.
Yes I was surprised and I was surprise at myself for wanting to give up.so soon.

I am going online and look for articles there's so much help.out there..

Will keep you guys posted about all our growth and development..

Thank you for your help and advice.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Most rescues want you to give back a dog that does not work out. It sounds like you should do this. I'd fell bad, too, but at least you tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs