Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,510,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Return her & Get A CAT! NOT being mean but with your hours Neighbors wont complain they will be calling the Police! Add to that the Not feeling safe to walk her at 3am & I Cant blame you! Well A cat will be better fit into your present life style!
Cats can be problematic as well - I wouldn't be looking for another pet if you can give this one back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM

288 posts, read 255,979 times
Just want to offer some encouragement. I also adopted a dog from the shelter, that wasn't " what I was looking for". I didn't want a female, I didn't want a shepherd. I wanted a Doberman ( ideally) but in shelters looking at pit mixes etc, I Didn't want a puppy whatsoever. I ended up with a Dutch Shepherd female, that was a bit over 4 months. ( they had her listed at 3 yrs, she was surrendered 2 times already). She was very smart, and she got pissed a lot. She never was crated and was ok that during the day I came and went, but if I came home from work in the evening and take out the trash, in those 60 sec she would pee, chew a shoe etc, I have lost so many pairs of expensive shoes due to her. There were times that I wanted to give up but couldn't. She's not your typical pet.

She turned out to be an amazing dog, and sometimes still a pain in my butt, but when I'm sick and can't get out of bed she knows. We go out 1 time and she's good, other days we run 20 miles per day.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
You want laid-back calm couch potato dog, rescue an old retired greyhound.

You cannot have a puppy if you are gone all day.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
p.s. We are home all the time and our puppy still eats and gets into *everything*!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM

288 posts, read 255,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You want laid-back calm couch potato dog, rescue an old retired greyhound.

You cannot have a puppy if you are gone all day.
That is true, my friend rescues greyhounds ( has 2 right now) they're not old (2 and 4) just retired from racing and the biggest couch potatoes ever.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 AM

6 posts, read 8,282 times
I dont think you should get any dog !!

It's harsh but the truth you are not able to commit any real time or effort to caring training he dog then it doesn't matter what size breed age it is it won't be fair on the animal

There are plenty of things to help but if it's just so it doesn't destroy stuff for the 12 hours your working n sleeping is that fair ?????

Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,561,659 times
Just so you all know, THIS THREAD WAS STARTED 12-29-2011

Although it is an interesting and informative read for all the various solutions suggested, and it might help for other people in this situation, I think the OP has long since made her decision on what she did with this dog.

Hopefully they are both in a happy situation, together or apart.

NOTE: I can't believe some of the ignorant and rude comments posted to this OP, who was only trying to find a pet to love and to give a shelter dog a home.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:31 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,745,805 times
Dogs need companionship. We adopted a dog because he was left alone all day. It's not fair to the dog for him not to get the activity or attention that he needs. Do more research with respect to pets that suit your lifestyle. Maybe a fish, cat or birds?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 AM

768 posts, read 862,831 times
Let's not compound the felony by getting a cat she will only return. You are not ready for the responsibility of a dog. No animal should be left alone for 10 hours a day. I am the President of the Board of Directors of a no kill shelter. At the very least find a no kill shelter for Toffee. What is "low-kill" anyway? They either do or they don't. Give the dog a chance that some other family will want her and love her. Maybe you will be ready for a dog when you are more settled. Donate your crate, etc as well to the shelter. We take dogs from owners all the time and we find lovely homes for them. That is our mission.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,654 times
Reading your comments and need help plz. I have 2kids and we startr walking dogs at the shelter and saw one that we like a Chihuahua mix breed 6 months old, very hyper we go him yesterday and brought him home, was very excited my daughter 7 loves him and play with him but my 10 year old son don't like how he crys and barks and he always in his room. I am not happy the house is different setting I know I should give it a little time to get used to it but feeling very disappointed at my self and crying all the time. What do you think will help me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs