Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,542,513 times

Advertisements

A rescue dog is no more likely to end up in this situation than a dog from a breeder. Lack of time for a dog is compounded when the dog is a puppy. An adult dog, even one that hasn't gotten training because the original owners didn't do it, is no harder to train than a puppy, and may have outgrown behaviors such as chewing. Don't blame the source of the dog for this. All dogs require time and attention. That's not "politics", it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:39 PM

3,766 posts, read 12,480,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Happens to rescue dogs a lot. People go and rescue a dog because they think they are doing the right thing. Then the reality of how damaged the dog is hits home.

I've been working with rescue for over 30 years and 95% of the dogs have NO issues other than no home. There was no problem with the dog other than it is a young terrier. From a breeder or a shelter, a young terrier will have a lot of energy.

That's why I tell people to stay away from rescue dogs unless you are prepared for the worst. I know nothing of your background but I can say that your opinion betrays that you have little to no experience with rescue or shelter dogs in any volume. If you did, you wouldn't make a statment that is so completely wrong.

Getting a dog is a big step, pretty irresponsible to throw politics into the decision just to appear to be doing the right thing. No clue on how you feel politics plays any role here

I advise you to get a well bred dog from a reputable breeder unless you absolutely ready to retrain a dog and possibly spend thousands on them for health issues. She has just said that she has limited time and you suggest a puppy from a breeder? That would be a great way to add another dog to a shelter As for health, what does being in a shelter have to do with health?

And think about getting two dogs as they will keep each other company during those long days you are gone. Bichon/Shih Tzu mixes are great dogs. Very calm and lovable but they really are happy when a pair. She doesn't have time for one so you suggest two?
Please tell me this is some sort of joke

Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,991,982 times
Moderator cut: rude
1: NEVER EVER try to raise 2 dogs together unles you want quadruple the work
2: rescue dogs are NOT damaged goods, most end up there because of irrespoinsbile owners and financial hardship, a dog can be trained at ANY age and most of the "issues' shelter dogs have are from a lack fo training!
3: a responsible breder propbably woudlnt give this poster a puppy given the hours of work and lack of time/experience.

the op needs an OLDER dog not a puppy...the problem here was 1: a lack of reserch into the breed or probably mix of breeds in this dog
2: a lack of patients the op has had this dog for a week and seems to expect it to be a pre-trained angel, dogs arnt robots...
3: a lack of time, puppies need excersize...at least 2 solid focused walks EVERY day no matter what plus structured training, free play and socilization...

the op can 100% absolutly turn this situationn around if they are willing to put in the work...
the op howevr does not need to add a second dog to this mix...
a RESPONSBIBLE breeder RARELY allows a person to purchase siblings...

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-31-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM

25,974 posts, read 16,778,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Please tell me this is some sort of joke
This is my experience, no need to attack me.

And anyone who knows something of dogs (have you ever actually owned a dog or do you just work at a shelter?) knows that two dogs are much easier than one.

I mean come one, some common sense here.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM

I've had nothing but purebred dogs from breeders for my entire life 40+ years. Never a behavior problem, never a major health problem. Every single rescue dog I've seen my friends and family get have been nothing but a problem.

That's my experience and I'm sharing it.

Now fire away.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,991,982 times
2 dogs are easier than one being common sense?!
dont mind me while i rol around the floor laughing my arse off!

yup, keep telling yourself that buddy...

im not quite sure how having to train each dog individually AND together is LESS work... than training 1 dog...
not sure how giving 2 dogs equal amounts of INDIVIDUAL attention is less work than giving 1 dog individual attention
not sure how walking 2 dogs is less work than walking one
not sure how affording vet care for 2 dogs is less work than one...
or feeding for that matter...

by the very nature of multiples...you get more you make more work for yourself...

sure its easier if your going to stick them both in the back yard to play together never train them or teach them how to be independant of eachother...
but thats not exactly the best way to get a well trained well rounded pet...

Old 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,592,248 times
Finger Pulling Person knows nothing about bichons that is for sure. This breed is one of the hardest breeds to potty train.

And do you thing someone would work at a shelter for over 30 years and never owned a dog. Talk about using common sense. It maddens many of us for you to say not to adopt rescue dogs. Yes some due diligence should be done and most rescue organizations do test and monitor before they adopt out for such things as kid and cat and other dsog tolerance.

Rescue organizations and especially foster parents are to be praised----not disrespected.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Dear Finger Pulling Person- perhaps you are confusing cats with dogs. Most cat people will tell you two are better than a solitary cat.

But two dogs can bring problems not foreseen. We have a 10 year old Bichon who I figured was lonely (and anyway I was looking for a younger dog). We found a rescue who was supposed to be a Bichon mix but turned out to be a full blood maltese. Little maltese goes bananas every time a kid rides a bike on the sidewalk and starts barking which of course sets off the older dog. This was never a problem before we got the 2nd dog.

However little maltese was tested for kids, dogs and cats and fits in perfectly with our family of all the above. I never would have adopted without this knowledge.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I've heard you guys are nasty on this forum and I guess this is the proof. Someone who thinks differently is attacked merciliessly.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM

I don't think this is a nasty person forum. On the contrary I think the Pet Forums are filled with kind loving people who take pet ownership very seriously. We do have many people who spend a great deal of time and money on rescue organizations and fostering homeless pets so when you come out saying "Don't adopt rescues; they are nothing but trouble"---well some of us get a bit PO'd. But you ain't seen nasty till you get on the parenting forum and start in on breastfeeding in public---just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs