Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You people must be delusional or something. I lived 3 out of 4.5 years in Uptown and never experienced any of what you describe. Yes there were some beautiful old homes, but where are these unique, independent restaurants and shops located? I sure as hell never saw any in my neighborhood. I saw crappy little convenience stores on Colfax like the Family Cigarette Store, Logan Food Market, the $1.25 A Scoop Chinese restaurant, the sh*tty Pineapple Grill, or the even sh*ttier Bourbon Grill. Most of the local businesses in central Denver were super low class and bordered on being unsanitary. There were a few bright spots like Above The Rim or Independent Records, but not like most urban areas I've been to.
Geez jjacobeclark! I hope you didn't actually eat at all of those places - though if you did, I can see why you are so pissed at Denver. For every upscale business in Denver, there are probably 3 to 4 downscale businesses. I think the majority of nice independent shops are located along E. 17th (which you should know if you lived in Uptown). Restaurant-wise, I'm thinking of Aix, Steubens, Watercourse, Avenue Grill, Hamburger Mary's, Strings, TASTES Wine Bar, D-Bar Desserts, and Vine St Pub. There is also Marczyk's for groceries - which, I imagine, is much nicer than the Logan Food Market.

While I don't frequent the businesses that you described along E. Colfax, I must say that I appreciate their presence. It suggests to me that Denver conducive to a variety of enterprise, regardless or race or social class. The opportunity to own ones own business is a tremendous equalizer for immigrants and people of marginalized communities that are continuously denied opportunities elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
For real??? You seriously think this? What do you think this whole stupid Iraq thing is about?? oh yeah, right, it's all in the name of "terror". Suuuurre.

(ok, that's all I'm saying on that, so as not to hijack--- start another thread somewhere else if you want to argue, I just couldn't let that one lay).
I guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
oh phew. Missed the sarcasm. But thank you thank you thank you for posting. I feel better now.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
OK... Whatever that means. The James Beard Foundation recently named Adam Siegel of Lake Park Bistro as the Best Chef in the Midwest. No Denver restaurants received awards in 2008. As far as shopping is concerned, I could honestly care less since I shop mainly at thrift stores, but we have the Mayfair Mall which easily rivals Cherry Creek Mall. We may not have Burberry or Louis Vuitton stores, but that is all available via a short trip by train or car to Chicago.

Yeah, but the high in Milwaukee today is 35. Try a high of 70 here in Denver, and it was 67 yesterday. When was the last time it was over 65 in Milwaukee? Hmmm.... think back, back, BACK in time to 2008. Long time ago, wasn't it?

Really, what do you care about Denver? I'm not going to the Milwaukee forum to whine about their winter weather. It's a nice city - not for me, but I can certainly understand why people would want to live there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Geez jjacobeclark! I hope you didn't actually eat at all of those places - though if you did, I can see why you are so pissed at Denver. For every upscale business in Denver, there are probably 3 to 4 downscale businesses. I think the majority of nice independent shops are located along E. 17th (which you should know if you lived in Uptown). Restaurant-wise, I'm thinking of Aix, Steubens, Watercourse, Avenue Grill, Hamburger Mary's, Strings, TASTES Wine Bar, D-Bar Desserts, and Vine St Pub. There is also Marczyk's for groceries - which, I imagine, is much nicer than the Logan Food Market.

While I don't frequent the businesses that you described along E. Colfax, I must say that I appreciate their presence. It suggests to me that Denver conducive to a variety of enterprise, regardless or race or social class. The opportunity to own ones own business is a tremendous equalizer for immigrants and people of marginalized communities that are continuously denied opportunities elsewhere.

OK, I can vouch for D-Bar! Yes, I did get out once in the past two months. That place was awesome - and very crowded.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,472 times
Quote:
OK... Whatever that means. The James Beard Foundation recently named Adam Siegel of Lake Park Bistro as the Best Chef in the Midwest. No Denver restaurants received awards in 2008. As far as shopping is concerned, I could honestly care less since I shop mainly at thrift stores, but we have the Mayfair Mall which easily rivals Cherry Creek Mall. We may not have Burberry or Louis Vuitton stores, but that is all available via a short trip by train or car to Chicago.
Why do you have to talk about Milwaukee on every other Denver thread? Isn't there a Milwaukee forum?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
A lot of you have probably never even seen a beach
Yeah, because we all are a bunch of inbred nativist idiots that haven't been anywhere else besides Colorado. And none of us are from anywhere else either.

I've been listening to your criticisms throughout this thread, and have been taking them constructively, but that ignorant comment crossed the line.

I was born in a beach city and went to the beach at least a few times a year before moving here. It ain't all that. Ooooooooooooh, it's water, and it moves! How exciting! There's nothing here in Colorado that can stand in for the beach either. It's the coast or bust!........Puh-leeze.

::Rural accent begins:: Us poor lonely souls here in flyover country just long for somethin' as excitin' as the beach. What-ever will we do? ::Rural accent ends::

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, we're not leaving. You should be thanking us for turning this square state blue
Tried to rep you for this. One of the reds will come back and say Colorado is still a red state and that this last election was either a fluke or voter retaliation.

Heck, I hear state congress is even in discussion to repeal the death penalty as the maximum punishment available to prosecutors. Must be 'cuz of all us "commies" moving in.

Quote:
Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies.
We get it, Milwaukee is better than Denver, at everything. That's why I'm calling my travel agent right now and I'm going to tell them I'd love to go on vay-cay to Milwaukee! I better get the movers on the line as well, because it's going to be so great that I'm going to want to move there too.

I can't wait to hear my travel agent's response to that one.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, but the high in Milwaukee today is 35. Try a high of 70 here in Denver, and it was 67 yesterday. When was the last time it was over 65 in Milwaukee? Hmmm.... think back, back, BACK in time to 2008. Long time ago, wasn't it?

Really, what do you care about Denver? I'm not going to the Milwaukee forum to whine about their winter weather. It's a nice city - not for me, but I can certainly understand why people would want to live there.
The weather? That's the best you can do? It was 59°F on February 10, not too shabby for Milwaukee.

I keep coming on the Denver forum for 2 reasons:
1. You guys are just more into it than the CD'ers in WI. I get bored rehashing the same thread topics in the WI forum.
2. Nobody gives realistic depictions of Denver. If you guys didn't out-and-out lie to people searching for information on relocation, I wouldn't feel compelled to offer a different point of view.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I agree David, I myself spent living four straight years less than 100 yards from the surf..I too have lived all over California, and my family still owns a property right on the Newport coast..so I get my beach fix frequently...I like it out there, but Colorado is my home,and is far from being some bastion of thugish,trashy,uneducated people like the OP has stated frequently in the past...I wonder what would happen if I started posting on the OC. threads repeatedly...telling the locals there how much I thought that place sucked? My guess pretty close to the Denver response on here...Every place has issues, but these ridiclous repeated attacks on Denver are wearing very thin to say the least....

Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Why do you have to talk about Milwaukee on every other Denver thread? Isn't there a Milwaukee forum?
I was merely responding to a swipe at my city from Scott5280.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver