Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM

128 posts, read 437,474 times

Advertisements

West coast...where on the West coast? Could you at least list the state you moved to (or if it's large like CA what part)?

I'm leaving Louisiana for some of the reasons you stated that you like the West coast...I'm looking for somewhere more open-minded, cooler (temp wise), and decent outdoor activities. Perhaps I am not moving far enough west? Sounds like I'll have to try Denver out and see, I am a bit concerned about the dry air since I've lived in an area where the air is as thick as a marshmellow in the summer for a decade now lol. I'm sure I'll have fun adjusting, where I grew up in Alaska it was considered a desert region and we'd have dust storms during the summer sometimes from the winds blowing out of the mountains and up the river valley. Dry indeed.

Glad you like where you are now I've been somewhat miserable here since I moved here because I don't feel like this place is really "me" so I think Denver will be a better choice for me...maybe not the best place, but will be a decent place to jump off from should I decide I don't like it.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesign View Post
West coast...where on the West coast? Could you at least list the state you moved to (or if it's large like CA what part)?

I'm leaving Louisiana for some of the reasons you stated that you like the West coast...I'm looking for somewhere more open-minded, cooler (temp wise), and decent outdoor activities. Perhaps I am not moving far enough west? Sounds like I'll have to try Denver out and see, I am a bit concerned about the dry air since I've lived in an area where the air is as thick as a marshmellow in the summer for a decade now lol. I'm sure I'll have fun adjusting, where I grew up in Alaska it was considered a desert region and we'd have dust storms during the summer sometimes from the winds blowing out of the mountains and up the river valley. Dry indeed.

Glad you like where you are now I've been somewhat miserable here since I moved here because I don't feel like this place is really "me" so I think Denver will be a better choice for me...maybe not the best place, but will be a decent place to jump off from should I decide I don't like it.

I don't want to mention exactly what city I am in right now because I am a bit paranoid about internet freaks and I want to be somewhat anonomous. I might be moving once again too soon But this morning I breathed in the cool fog of the pacific ocean and it was great.

I've lived in San Diego, LA, San Fran, Northern Cal, and Portland OR. The only part of the West Coast i've never lived in is Washington State. But i've visited it a few times.

I've spent most of my time in the US living up and down the West Coast and the Southwest desert. And honestly, I liked each place I lived in these regions better than Denver.

Two times i've tried to move towards the center of the country, but I came back out west each time, and each time it felt great to be back.

If you have a question about it feel free to ask.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I get the feeling the thread starter isn't going to be happy in one place for more than 6 months. That's sad.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Understood about the anonymity...I was considering Oregon but my gf wasn't too keen on it for whatever reason. I haven't visited California since I was in 2nd grade (and I'm 30 now, do the math lol) but I recently spent a short time in Seattle and loved it. Also I've spent a short time in Oregon and loved the countryside (save for the clear-cutting that was going on at the time)...exploring a lava tube outside of Bend was interesting too.

I doubt I'll ever end up in CA because of their bass-ackwards laws (imho) but I had also considered northern New Mexico as well as San Antonio, TX but I used to really like skiing and snowmobiling so Denver won out. That and my gf likes to hike and ride bicycles (I used to as well, probably will again) and we both have vehicles so we won't have the same problem you did with having to bike for 10 miles to get out of town.

Thanks for the offer for insight, I'm pretty much locked in to Denver now with the move only a week away (don't feel like starting my research all over again as part of the reason but there's more to it). Enjoy some of that scrumptious air for me!

Btw, how bad is the smog in Denver? It's something I've only recently become aware of and did not expect. Is it worse than Dallas?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I get the feeling the thread starter isn't going to be happy in one place for more than 6 months. That's sad.
Why? Not everyone needs to settle down to be happy, some people just like to roam. I can understand that especially if you don't have anything to tie you down to one location...this world is too big to not want to travel (although I get the impression that Americans in general are isolationists and have no major urge to travel anywhere outside of the NW hemisphere). I'm a bit jealous of folks who do travel and live lots of places but at the same time I'm not the kind of person that can do what they do on a regular basis.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,661 times
You think you have it bad in Denver, come to Tucson. No jobs, lots of drug addicted hippies, Tobacco Road trailer parks, and a record breaking year 2008 for murder, and homicides. I wanted to leave here too, but thanks to the low wage jobs, I AM TRAPPED! If you have the money to move to another city, good for you.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

You must be about the tenth person to say that on this forum.

People will say that just to discredit someone when they talk badly about a place. It's like a debate tactic based on a straw man arguement. "He doesn't like it here. But this place is great. So the problem must be with HIM." When will people see how illogical this is?

I can assure you I am far from unhappy. In Denver I smiled a lot more than the average person. It freaked people out and confused them. A smile??? What's that? People would sometimes give me a mean look, like "What are you smiling at punk?!"

Traveling around is a great thing to do. Why do people automatically think that the good thing to do is to settle down and plant roots? I don't have a family so why not? With every new city I move to, my horizons expand even further and I learn a lot more about people, the world and myself. I have more stories to tell and more interesting memories to look back on.

Then in the future when I do settle in a city. I will know exactly where the right place is for me, and I will be confident that I lived life to the fullest before settling.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
You think you have it bad in Denver, come to Tucson. No jobs, lots of drug addicted hippies, Tobacco Road trailer parks, and a record breaking year 2008 for murder, and homicides. I wanted to leave here too, but thanks to the low wage jobs, I AM TRAPPED! If you have the money to move to another city, good for you.
Yeah, I know Tucson. It is definantly a place with major issues and i'll agree that Denver is better.

I just moved to a new city. And I have no money. And I might move again next month. Just do it.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Well I will put in my two cents,we lived in Denver from 1971 till 1988,will say we enjoyed our time there 100 per cent.During this time the sprawling growth had not taken over.You could enjoy end to end,Broadway with the antique shops,Federal with its shops and Englewood Speedway,Alameda,Colorado with the Denver Zoo and Stapleton and our trips to Vegas.We lived in Conifer,Aspen Park when there were only a handful of residents.We wound up living along Bible Park.When I worked around Evergreen,it was still a summer place for Denver.Hiway 285 was a nice ride to New Mexico.We have our son buried in Fort Logan.I could go on but won't bore you,probably the best of time has passed Denver but we did enjoy our stay.Allan Phipp's and the Bronco's treated us very kindly.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:13 PM

123 posts, read 524,884 times
Who cares.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver