Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
BART is a subway. Parts of it do go above ground like a train, but much of it is an enuderground subway, especially when you get into San Fran and Oakland it's all underground. There is a huge stretch of it that gos underwater too.

Are you sure you lived in the Bay Area for 30 years? And you don't know this? I can't believe that.

Sacramento, in my opinion, is one of the worst cities in Cal. I agree with you there.
Yeah 30 years dude and left cali because its economy is bad, too expensive to live and with the exception of SF does not adopt the concept of urban living. You think denver is sprawl? What do you call most of the bay area? Its housing tracks, strip malls, and full of cars.

Bart a subway? People in the bay dont refer to "BART" as a subway. Bart is mostly above ground in the bay taking up vital land space with those large economically challenged stations (thus defying the point of a subway saving space). I thought subways were suppose to stay underground? Bart is more like a communter rail that mimics a subway in SF. But I guess we could use your logic and say if it was a subway it doesnt feel like one compared to NYC.

I cannot see why you think denver feels like a small city...

10th largest central business district, 1000k shops, bars etc downtown, 60k people pass through 16th street mall daily, 34 highrises over 300ft, four major sports teams, one of only two in the U.S. to lie within its proper, 2nd largest preforming arts center....

I hope you live in hunters point in SF and still have love for that city...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I agree that your photo tours show the "real" Denver, places like Parker Rd and Federal Blvd. DenverAztec only shows the areas near Downtown/Capitol Hill and makes Denver look like it's nothing but Victorian mansions and highrises.
Plenty of people live, work, and play in the city, so if you live in Denver proper, this is what you see every day. Old houses and high rises.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
What an awful post.

I didn't just "meet several people in Denver who were rude to me". I was out there every single day and I got a very good grasp of the vibe there. I literally must have met over a thousand people.

Some people in Denver are genuinely rude. But rudeness isn't really what it is. I would describe it more as an aloof, individualist, somewhat arrogant and detached attitude towards other people. It's like a "mountain man" attitude. The kind of personality that a guy living like a hermit deep in the mountains would have. Cold, stand-offish and not interested in being friendly or social.

Also, Denvers economy was way behind a lot of other places even before the recession. It might be getting hit slightly less hard than other places. But the economy in Denver is NOT great. Anyone searching for a job there knows this.

In fact I would like to see the proof that the economy in Denver isn't getting hit as hard. When I was there it seemed really dead and over saturated with college graduates.

I don't "got any brains" huh? I think you mean that I don't "have any brains." Nice try though.
Seriously, you spend 5 mo. here and then decide you have the information to lable 3 million people as anti-social and aloof? That's hilarious! I've lived in 5 different cities and one foreign country, and I know it takes close to a year living in a new area just to feel like it's home. You certainly have a right to your opinion, but your opinion comes across as childish. If you're so flighty that you keep packing up and moving from city to city, you'll never put down real roots. And I hope you're lucky enough to land a 6 figure income if you're living in SF - being poor isn't fun anywhere.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Here here Denverian. I work and play in the city most days, and what DenverAztec depicts in his pics are dead on for me.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Seriously, you spend 5 mo. here and then decide you have the information to lable 3 million people as anti-social and aloof? That's hilarious!
It sure is!! I'm pretty sure I've never seen Funky at any of our numerous happy hours, a totally social gathering. In fact, I see a lot of whiners on here, can't make friends, not a social city, etc. DUH. We meet quite often. I think the problem is you if there's a social gathering you refuse to go to yet you sit around b*tching about how you can't make friends.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Here here Denverian. I work and play in the city most days, and what DenverAztec depicts in his pics are dead on for me.
I've become a "homebody" after years of travel and adventures, so I rarely stray out of the city of Denver, other than the 8 mi. to work in Thornton. DenverAztec's pictures are of the areas I'm very familiar with.

But then I'm not very familiar w/other parts of the metro area. We've lived here 3.5 years and I've only been in the DTC once, never seen Park Meadows mall, only been to Highlands Ranch once, and really have no clue what's out south and west.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It sure is!! I'm pretty sure I've never seen Funky at any of our numerous happy hours, a totally social gathering. In fact, I see a lot of whiners on here, can't make friends, not a social city, etc. DUH. We meet quite often. I think the problem is you if there's a social gathering you refuse to go to yet you sit around b*tching about how you can't make friends.
I'd love to come to one of the happy hours if I ever get a chance - just hard with 9 mo. old twins. Our neighborhood does a rotating happy hour in summer on our front porches, and everyone brings their kids and babies, so at least we have that. We all stand around with our drinks, being aloof!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Denverian: My comment wasn't towards you at all. I know you have a family and are very busy. Twins and a spouse is plenty and certainly doesn't match a social life of a younger, single person. Besides, I never see you complain about Denver not being social. Although, man, you really need to get out more! I have friends with kids who do what you say, it's very social in it's own way for sure.

oh, and we'd love to have you if you can ever swing a babysitter. You wouldn't have to stay long. We often do, but no big deal just to drop by for a quick drink, then leave.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Denverian: My comment wasn't towards you at all. I know you have a family and are very busy. Twins and a spouse is plenty and certainly doesn't match a social life of a younger, single person. Besides, I never see you complain about Denver not being social. Although, man, you really need to get out more! I have friends with kids who do what you say, it's very social in it's own way for sure.

oh, and we'd love to have you if you can ever swing a babysitter. You wouldn't have to stay long. We often do, but no big deal just to drop by for a quick drink, then leave.
Oh, I know. I guess our neighborhood is so social, I don't feel isolated in any way. Strange how I went from being so adventurous to not going far from home. I think the furthest I've been from my house in the past year is DIA to fly out of town for work.

I always wanted to live in Hawaii and people have told me that I'd get "island fever". I doubt it since I already stay so close to home! I was very social in my single days in Denver - but again, lived on Cap. Hill and my life was all downtown and central Denver. I guess I'm just happy whenever I drive down Colfax!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:
That's exactly right for me as well "Wantts" --..I live,work,and socialize in the city..Typically all I see is uber modern townhomes,high rises,older bungalows, tudors, and victorian mansions..Neighborhoods surrounding me all have unique restaurants,shops, businesses..with local independents out numbering the chains...If I am out in the suburbs it's out to visit friends, or show clients a house somewhere...I do take about two or three trips a week with my dog up to Conifer for hikes in the nearby foothills ...There are times when my car stays in the garage for days..I walk to my office which is four blocks away from my house...Whole Foods and Safeway are an equal distance of four blocks away... DenverAztec shows people what typical urban life looks like to those of us who inhabit Denver's central hoods..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver