Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Amen brother, but one last observation.

FM the more I read the more I'm convinced you never lived in Denver. But if you did.. I rep you for leaving. You should fit right in on the left coast. No if you'd just take about 20,000 or so of your Californicating brothern with you, Colorado would be a much better place..

No, we're not leaving. You should be thanking us for turning this square state blue

Old 02-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
I also got a reputation comment from the same coward, I know because he also used the words characterless and drabby in his comment. I bet women really flock to him.
Maybe that's why he moved to SF - to give the men a try

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 15,570 times
So an interesting thing to realize is that 'culture shock' happens even with moves within one country. Having lived all around the world and throughout North America, I will be making Denver my last stop on the train because it is a culture that I have been looking for in my very short life.

Back to culture shock. A suggestion for FunkyMonk and those who move around - you need to stay in one place for at least 6 months, but ideally a year to really appreciate a location. Otherwise, you look at it too heavily through the biases you bring with you from previous experiences. I enjoy living in new locations and have extensive experience in adjusting, so I realize that many of my first impressions are based on misunderstandings and other emotions more related to the move than anything.

Just food for thought.

BTW, it always cracks me up to read how people view various areas of the US as 'friendly' or 'unfriendly' it is so completely relative to where you came from that it is almost pointless to label one place as one way or another.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 15,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottodog View Post
Amen brother, but one last observation.

FM the more I read the more I'm convinced you never lived in Denver. But if you did.. I rep you for leaving. You should fit right in on the left coast. No if you'd just take about 20,000 or so of your Californicating brothern with you, Colorado would be a much better place..
So sorry! I'm bringing some hard-core blue with me in my move to Denver. I am left of left - does that mean you will hate on me too?? LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Bart is a subway? thats news to me. Never heard that in the 30 years I lived in the SF bay area...

Just came from Sacramento and it isnt even in the same league as Denver. Sac is more like memphis, OKC or colombus. Mid size cities with suffering skylines, vacant downtowns, and a lack of fortune 500 companies.
Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Yeah 30 years dude and left cali because its economy is bad, too expensive to live and with the exception of SF does not adopt the concept of urban living. You think denver is sprawl? What do you call most of the bay area? Its housing tracks, strip malls, and full of cars.

Bart a subway? People in the bay dont refer to "BART" as a subway. Bart is mostly above ground in the bay taking up vital land space with those large economically challenged stations (thus defying the point of a subway saving space). I thought subways were suppose to stay underground? Bart is more like a communter rail that mimics a subway in SF. But I guess we could use your logic and say if it was a subway it doesnt feel like one compared to NYC.

I cannot see why you think denver feels like a small city...

10th largest central business district, 1000k shops, bars etc downtown, 60k people pass through 16th street mall daily, 34 highrises over 300ft, four major sports teams, one of only two in the U.S. to lie within its proper, 2nd largest preforming arts center....

I hope you live in hunters point in SF and still have love for that city...
Can somebody please cite the statistic that says Denver has the 10th largest downtown? I know it says that on the Denver.org website, but it doesn't offer a footnote or a source where this claim came from. I highly doubt that Denver has the 10th largest downtown. The downtown areas of Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia all appear to be much, much larger than downtown Denver. I recently read downtown Pittsburgh is the 6th largest employment center in the nation. Miami has the 3rd largest skyline now, ahead of LA and Houston, behind Chi and NYC. I just don't understand how this claim can be made. Downtown Milwaukee (53202) is home to 21,152 people, while downtown Denver (80202) is only home to 4,616 people.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
That's exactly right for me as well "Wantts" --..I live,work,and socialize in the city..Typically all I see is uber modern townhomes,high rises,older bungalows, tudors, and victorian mansions..Neighborhoods surrounding me all have unique restaurants,shops, businesses..with local independents out numbering the chains...If I am out in the suburbs it's out to visit friends, or show clients a house somewhere...I do take about two or three trips a week with my dog up to Conifer for hikes in the nearby foothills ...There are times when my car stays in the garage for days..I walk to my office which is four blocks away from my house...Whole Foods and Safeway are an equal distance of four blocks away... DenverAztec shows people what typical urban life looks like to those of us who inhabit Denver's central hoods..
You people must be delusional or something. I lived 3 out of 4.5 years in Uptown and never experienced any of what you describe. Yes there were some beautiful old homes, but where are these unique, independent restaurants and shops located? I sure as hell never saw any in my neighborhood. I saw crappy little convenience stores on Colfax like the Family Cigarette Store, Logan Food Market, the $1.25 A Scoop Chinese restaurant, the sh*tty Pineapple Grill, or the even sh*ttier Bourbon Grill. Most of the local businesses in central Denver were super low class and bordered on being unsanitary. There were a few bright spots like Above The Rim or Independent Records, but not like most urban areas I've been to.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Limited lines, few connections and just because it goes underground a few times does not make it a subway.
Actually it does.

subway |ˈsəbˌwā|
noun
1 an underground electric railroad.
2 Brit. a tunnel under a road for use by pedestrians.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
JJ: You didn't see Williams Bar, or the small comedy venue next door, or the sometimes roudy gay bar on the corner, or up 17th, the Thin Man, the coffee shop next door, the Italian spot? None of those are chains. Then on Colfax, you have that bookstore on the corner of Grant, love that one BTW, next to that or close by was Red Room, closed now but open when you were here, then Play It Again records, much better than Independent IMHO.

These are all unique and independent IMHO and that's just going off the top of my head, I haven't lived there in about 5 yrs.

oh oh and you must have missed 13th/Grant area, with Wax Trax (yep, there are 3, including my beloved vinyl shop), the Snake Pit and FashioNation.

Here's a link in case you missed it. This is quite the independent shop.

http://www.vixensandangels.com/Fashionation.cfm (broken link)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneThrower View Post
So sorry! I'm bringing some hard-core blue with me in my move to Denver. I am left of left - does that mean you will hate on me too?? LOL
Keep 'em coming! And welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver