Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
oh wow you just described me and the mountains and scenery here.
Same for me. They just sort of disappear when you see them every day. When we have visitors come from Florida, the first thing they comment on is the mountains.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Same for me. They just sort of disappear when you see them every day. When we have visitors come from Florida, the first thing they comment on is the mountains.
At least in Denver you can see the mountains every day. That's not true of the ocean in SoCal unless you live on the beach, have a house on a hill with a view (provided the air is clear enough), or commute along PCH.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
And for good reason as people keep coming with totally overreaching dreams and dillusions as to what it is here. And since you have hardly posted, I can only assume you really haven't been here (this forum) long, as you obviously have missed the pages and pages of advice that me amongst several other regulars give to people inquiring about Denver.
Oh, I wasn't complaining about the bubble-bursting! I've seen plenty of great advice on here.

Although I must say I moved out to Colorado with romantic notions of mountains in my head, and I still totally love it. And I almost never go to the mountains -- I just like to admire them from afar.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You have to look at the total metro area when looking at the economy, # of Fortune 500 companies, etc. Looking at only the municipality of Denver is dumb. On Fortune's website I see 10 Denver metro area Fortune 500s for 2008:

State Rank Company Fortune 1000 rank Revenues
($ millions) City
1 Qwest Communications 187 13,778.0 Denver
2 DISH Network 240 11,090.4 Englewood
3 Liberty Media 275 9,482.0 Englewood
4 Liberty Global 292 9,003.3 Englewood
5 First Data 315 8,051.4 Greenwood Village
6 Ball 336 7,389.7 Broomfield
7 ProLogis 387 6,216.8 Denver
8 Molson Coors Brewing 392 6,190.6 Denver
9 Newmont Mining 430 5,645.0 Denver
10 Western Union 473 4,900.2 Englewood

In 2007 there were 13 on that list, some of those companies have moved down the ranking to Fortune 1000's since then. All those companies shown as "Englewood" aren't even in Englewood, but actually in the Denver Tech Center.
I was making a point because lots of posters make baseless claims about Denver. D-Town 720 put down some random cities he assumed weren't as good or important as Denver. I was showing that Memphis and Columbus had more Fortune 500 companies than Denver and that the guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I did the same thing a while back when someone tried saying St. Louis and Tampa were way smaller than Denver, when in fact they are actually larger.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Oh, I wasn't complaining about the bubble-bursting! I've seen plenty of great advice on here.

Although I must say I moved out to Colorado with romantic notions of mountains in my head, and I still totally love it. And I almost never go to the mountains -- I just like to admire them from afar.
Hey, cool! You are back in my graces. I suppose they are pretty (re: mountains). Sort of.

oh and glad to hear your romantic notions were met, I can see how for some people, seriously.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Can somebody please cite the statistic that says Denver has the 10th largest downtown? I know it says that on the Denver.org website, but it doesn't offer a footnote or a source where this claim came from. I highly doubt that Denver has the 10th largest downtown. The downtown areas of Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia all appear to be much, much larger than downtown Denver. I recently read downtown Pittsburgh is the 6th largest employment center in the nation. Miami has the 3rd largest skyline now, ahead of LA and Houston, behind Chi and NYC. I just don't understand how this claim can be made. Downtown Milwaukee (53202) is home to 21,152 people, while downtown Denver (80202) is only home to 4,616 people.
Why would you need a link when you even admit that you found one confirming that denver has the 10th largest CBD? You looking for peer review or what? Just trolling around???

Another link about denver's 10th largest CBD
http://www.denver.org/metro/media/pr...t-detail?pk=10

Last edited by D-town 720; 02-25-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Can somebody please cite the statistic that says Denver has the 10th largest downtown? I know it says that on the Denver.org website, but it doesn't offer a footnote or a source where this claim came from. I highly doubt that Denver has the 10th largest downtown. The downtown areas of Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia all appear to be much, much larger than downtown Denver. I recently read downtown Pittsburgh is the 6th largest employment center in the nation. Miami has the 3rd largest skyline now, ahead of LA and Houston, behind Chi and NYC. I just don't understand how this claim can be made. Downtown Milwaukee (53202) is home to 21,152 people, while downtown Denver (80202) is only home to 4,616 people.

Your facts are just wrong. You just typed in zip codes and assumed they coincided with a down town area? thats funny. I live in 80203 and there's 20k in that zip. But not all of that zip is in the downtown area.

Over 10k live in Denver CBD
Downtown Denver Partnership, Inc. | HOME PAGE

I cant find anything on how many people living in downtown Milwaukee. You need to post a link to back up your claim that that zip code coinsides with the downtown population.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
What an awful post.

I didn't just "meet several people in Denver who were rude to me". I was out there every single day and I got a very good grasp of the vibe there. I literally must have met over a thousand people.

Some people in Denver are genuinely rude. But rudeness isn't really what it is. I would describe it more as an aloof, individualist, somewhat arrogant and detached attitude towards other people. It's like a "mountain man" attitude. The kind of personality that a guy living like a hermit deep in the mountains would have. Cold, stand-offish and not interested in being friendly or social.

Also, Denvers economy was way behind a lot of other places even before the recession. It might be getting hit slightly less hard than other places. But the economy in Denver is NOT great. Anyone searching for a job there knows this.

In fact I would like to see the proof that the economy in Denver isn't getting hit as hard. When I was there it seemed really dead and over saturated with college graduates.

I don't "got any brains" huh? I think you mean that I don't "have any brains." Nice try though.
Oh I see so you were able to sample the Denver population so as to give us a validated report? Seriously, ever heard of the word "anecdotel"?

Denver's economy is way better than any place in california. If you dont know that then I feel sorry for you. try googling it you're not worth the link...

Your post are full of fallacies, emotional diatribe, and spite. No rational discourse at all.

Proof of very bad reasoning:

"Anyone searching for a job there knows this."

Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Why would you need a link when you even admit that you found one confirming that denver has the 10th largest CBD? You looking for peer review or what? Just trolling around???

Another link about denver's 10th largest CBD
Press Kit Detail
Also, your facts are wrong about fortune 500 companies. You said:

"Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies."

Colombus has seven and Milwaukee has six (obviously because of its proximity to chicago).

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...une500/cities/

Apparently you are the one that has no idea what they are talking about...

Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Colombus has seven and Milwaukee has six (obviously because of its proximity to chicago).

FORTUNE 500 2006: Cities

Apparently you are the one that has no idea what they are talking about...
Not sure if I get the need to clarify why Milwaukee has 6 Fortune 500s. The only reason Denver has as many as it does is its proximity to the Rockies. Or California because of its proximity to the ocean and good weather. *shrugs shoulders*

That said, the poster mentioned Milwaukee had 10. That's actually the total number of corporations within the top 1,000. You're right; it's just 6 F-500s in Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver