Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The the Denver Business Journal found that Denver is the most popular place to live huh? Shocker.
Uh...that was the Pew Research Center. You'd know this if you had actually read the article. The Biz Journal only reported on the survey results.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I really like San Diego-- it's one of my favorite cities. I also like Denver (obviously). I actually think the two cities are very comparable in a lot of ways. Similar culture, similar economy (Denver is arguably even better), similar level of "urbanity," but very different climate, scenery, and recreational activities. Similar downtowns (although I'd actually like downtown SD even better than downtown Denver, even though Denver has taller buildings), similar trendy urban hipster neighborhoods, similar sprawled out suburbs (SD north county suburbs, and SD in general is even more sprawled out than Denver's). I think both of those cities are at the same "level." I don't get why some people here think liking both are mutually exclusive. San Diego is the best city in California and the entire "west coast" IMO.
Amazing. Those are the top 2 cities on my places to retire list. I'm curious what you like about SD downtown better than Denver. My impressions from visiting (SD 2002, D 2007) was that San Diego Bay(front) is mostly concrete except for the Seaport Village area. The palm trees made the area scenic, but aside from the view looking out over the bay, downtown didn't exactly wow me. It's the rest of SD that did, from Balboa Park to Mission Bay, etc. Denver's downtown, on the other hand, DID wow me with the Commons Park and other parks along the Platte, the 16th Street Mall, Larimer Square, LoDo, the State Capitol area, the Performing Arts Complex (2nd largest in the nation). Obviously I really like both cities if they're 1 and 2 on my list, but I'm curious as to what exactly you liked about SD downtown to rate it better than Denver.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM

67 posts, read 192,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I think were heard enough of your opinion on Denver. Obviously you have an axe to grind for whatever reason. But from the fact that you live in a small city in SD county you really have no room to talk. Its not like you're a world traveler or anything. Just some dude stringing on his guitar about how much he hates Denver and poses as a citizen of the city of SD.

Perhaps you were angered by this study showing Denver as the place most people want to live?

Or the fact that denver's got more pro sports teams?

Survey: Denver is America's most popular city
Survey: Denver is America's most popular city - Denver Business Journal:
These studies and lists should be taken with a grain of salt. I would bet that a lot of the people in that study have unrealistic expectations of Denver and would be surprised if they actually moved here. Which is what I believe to be the main motivating factor of why the unhappy posters dislike Denver.

I would expect Denver purists should be weary of these lists anyhow. If everyone took them seriously and moved here, your beloved city would change even further.

I have learned my lesson from the Money, Forbes, Sperlings, etc. lists. Use them as a tool, but not as a primary factor in choosing a place and don't place too much weight in them. Move to where you want to be, not where a list or a city data forum tells you is the "it" place.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Amazing. Those are the top 2 cities on my places to retire list. I'm curious what you like about SD downtown better than Denver. My impressions from visiting (SD 2002, D 2007) was that San Diego Bay(front) is mostly concrete except for the Seaport Village area. The palm trees made the area scenic, but aside from the view looking out over the bay, downtown didn't exactly wow me. It's the rest of SD that did, from Balboa Park to Mission Bay, etc. Denver's downtown, on the other hand, DID wow me with the Commons Park and other parks along the Platte, the 16th Street Mall, Larimer Square, LoDo, the State Capitol area, the Performing Arts Complex (2nd largest in the nation). Obviously I really like both cities if they're 1 and 2 on my list, but I'm curious as to what exactly you liked about SD downtown to rate it better than Denver.
Did you miss the Gaslamp district-- 5th ave especially? Wow-- that's what I call a fun, walkable nightlife entertainment district. I like the Gaslamp and the kinds of bars and establishments they have there better than Lodo or any one single street in Lodo. But I'm not knocking Lodo either, it has a lot to offer too. San Diego's buildings downtown are not as tall as Denver's tallest (probably because of height ordinances, being right next to the airport), but the buildings they do have look newer, sleeker, better proportioned. Also the softer, brighter colors and building materials in downtown SD are a lot more pleasing to the eye. Denver's 1970's/80's era brown skyscrapers are an eyesore to me. I'm not really a mall person, but for a downtown open air mall, the Horton Plaza downtown is one of the best ones I've seen. I also like the way that San Diego's uptown neighborhood and Balboa park flow right into downtown to the north.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
What's wrong with Minneapolis? It's a great city!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

19 posts, read 41,122 times
"People from Chicago will travel all the way up here on the weekends just to enjoy my city's restaurants and bars."

Now that's just ridiculous. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and never, never knew anyone to drive up to Milwaukee for the nightlife. Chicago has some of the best nightlife in the country.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Did you miss the Gaslamp district-- 5th ave especially? Wow-- that's what I call a fun, walkable nightlife entertainment district. I like the Gaslamp and the kinds of bars and establishments they have there better than Lodo or any one single street in Lodo. But I'm not knocking Lodo either, it has a lot to offer too. San Diego's buildings downtown are not as tall as Denver's tallest (probably because of height ordinances, being right next to the airport), but the buildings they do have look newer, sleeker, better proportioned. Also the softer, brighter colors and building materials in downtown SD are a lot more pleasing to the eye. Denver's 1970's/80's era brown skyscrapers are an eyesore to me. I'm not really a mall person, but for a downtown open air mall, the Horton Plaza downtown is one of the best ones I've seen. I also like the way that San Diego's uptown neighborhood and Balboa park flow right into downtown to the north.
Ah, ok. Yeah, I missed Gaslamp and Horton when I was there before. I was actually only there for a couple days and caught the downtown Bayfront area and Balboa Park and the SD Zoo and Mission Beach/Bay. I'll have to check them out next time I visit.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
oh yes, downtown San Diego has some neat stuff. I totally agree with Vegas, you sure missed those MantaRay! They aren't exactly tourist spots either so that could be why you didn't know about them. My husband and I have often flirted with the idea of moving to San Diego instead of Miami, but Calif. in general seems to be on a steep decline what with them issuing IOU's for tax refunds. Still, San Diego would be a perfect place for us city-wise.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
This thread has gotten lame. It's turned into and endless comparison of cities with most people trying root for thier city like a sports team. And most people defend cities with so much passion. It's ridiculous.

If you like living in Menver Coloballzo, I mean Denver Colorado, good for you. But truely, a lot of people have a very overblown idea about what Denver is. People put Denver among very, very awesome cities and say it's in the same league, but it's not. Denver is just very mediocre.

I am not trying to insult anyone here. I just HONESTLY think that Denver is a big cow town. And I keep on seeing people talk about Denver as if it is one of America's best cities. I just think this isn't true at all. To me, Denver feels like a big, rather boring suburb.

Personally, I think San Diego is in a totally different league than Denver. SD is a very different kind of place. And I would venture to say it's a much better place. SD is much more international. It offers a lot of things that are just totally lacking in Denver. The city is built in a very different way. It's coastal. It's got hills instead of being totally flat. It's got lots of real ethnic communties. It's got a real urban feel. It's right by Mexico. LA an Vegas are a few hour away. I could keep on going. But basically it's got a lot of things that are just totally lacking in Denver.

Some people just won't face reality though and they will keep on telling themselves that Denver is a great city. It is true a ot of people really do exagerate Denvers status. I've never seen a city do it so much. People talk about Denver like it is in the ranks of San Diego, Portand, New Orleans, Houston, etc. But then when most people actually see Denver, they realize it's more of a Phoenix, Tucson, SLC or Minneapolis.
I'm sure once you've given SD a solid 2 months of your time, you'l have realized what a lame city it is too

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Pete's Kitchen, Tom's Diner, Denver Diner, Mama's Cafe, Village Inn, Denny's, Perkins, Waffle House, IHOP, the list goes on.
None of these are located WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE of where the majority of clubs and bars are located in LoDo or SoCo. Which kind defeats the purpose of having them to begin with. Otherwise, you're pretty much encouraging people to drink and drive.

Most cities with more than 50,000 residents are going to have chains like IHOP, Denny's, and Perkin's. The local places like Pete's, Mama's, Tom's Diner, Denver Diner, Benny Blanco's, Two-Fisted Mario's, and Café Leela are all pretty awful if you ask me. There are also too few of them and they are too spread out.

I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned Chubby's or Viva Burrito Comany. Those were actually edible after a long night of drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
You are posting on the Denver thread because you say we lie about our city, yet you come on here and do just that. We never compare ourselves to NYC or Chicago and know that we are what we are and appreciate it for that.
You guys are always going on about how your performing arts complex is second to none or how your neighborhoods are so vibrant; Denver is the envy of the entire civilized world. You try to sell Denver to people like me who are city dwellers by nature, not realizing how isolated and boring Denver will eventually become to us. If mountains aren't in your top 5 reasons for moving to Denver, then you shouldn't move to Denver, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Bars here in Colorado close at 2:00 AM and last call is typically a few minutes before. In Madison, week nights is the same as Denver but Friday and Saturday they stay open a whole 1/2 hour later. Closing time is not 1:00 AM in Denver as you state.
Bar-time is usually 15 minutes faster than real-time, therefore 2:00AM (bar-time) is 1:45AM (real-time). Denver bars call last-call at 1:00AM (real-time) so that everybody is done drinking, settles their tab, and gets out the door by 2:00AM (bar-time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver