Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehills View Post
"People from Chicago will travel all the way up here on the weekends just to enjoy my city's restaurants and bars."

Now that's just ridiculous. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and never, never knew anyone to drive up to Milwaukee for the nightlife. Chicago has some of the best nightlife in the country.
A good deal of the condos along Milwaukee's lakefront and in the Third Ward act as second-homes and vacation-homes for people from Chicagoland. Milwaukee is much more affordable and less exclusive than Chicago, but still offers plenty of cultural amenities and fine dining options. You could never own waterfront property in Chicago for less than $1 million, but in Milwaukee you could have your choice of living along the Milwaukee River or Lake Michigan for well below a $1 million price tag.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Regarding San Diego:
Quote:
I lived there for about 4 years. And in that time ive never felt more alienated. Towards the end I began to lose all faith in humanity. I asked myself a lot, are people really this selfish and shallow?

People in SD are rude, ego-centric, materialistic, shallow, superficial and phony. Just about everyone out there has a fake image and there's several little cliques of people. It's a city full of adults in a high school mentality. They've created a fake paradise and they're living in it like gluttons.

People judge you on you outward apperance VERY much. You have to really keep up your haircut, clothing, physique, etc. if you want to be accepted. You also need to drive a nice car. If you wear old clothes or drive a crappy car, lots of folks in SD won't want to be friendly to you simply because of these superficial reasons. Nice guys finish last in SD. You finish first if you've got the cash.

People also really judge you on your job and wht area of town you live in. They judge on all of these things, and never bother to find out about your personality unless you meet the criteria of success and money. The PEOPLE and the CULTURE OF MONEY is what ruins an otherwise gorgeous place. Superficial.....Most folks are either trying to look like a movie star, rock star or flaunt their wealth.

The infrastructure of the city is extrememly over populated too. SD was designed decades ago to be a little beach town. Then millions of people flooded in and the city just wasn't built properly for it.

Overall. SD is an unsustainable city with it's people living an artificial and fantasy-like lifestyle. If that's what you want, go to SD. Personally I couldn't stand the fakes, phonies and posers.

Also if you are blue-collar, or just a regular person trying to live and work you won't like it. SD revolves around money. If you want to be anybody in SD you MUST have lots of money. There a strong class-system there. The rich REALLY flaunt their wealth and many of the poor people go deep into credit card debt just to try to have that image too. SD is all about money, prestige, status and ll the other crap that trickles down there from Hollywood.

Basically. If you're all about partying and living a yuppie, cosmopolitan life, SD is awesome. Or if you're a rowdy college kid, and your parents are paying your way through life, you'll have fun. If you're just a regular person, you probobly won't do too well there and you'll just get frustrated.

My friend said it best "SD is an ambitous city where everyone's in a rat-race to get money and fame." Be ready for that if you move there. You can't get away from that vibe.
That was FunkyMonk's second post in the City Data forum less than two years ago.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
None of these are located WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE of where the majority of clubs and bars are located in LoDo or SoCo. Which kind defeats the purpose of having them to begin with. Otherwise, you're pretty much encouraging people to drink and drive.

Bar-time is usually 15 minutes faster than real-time, therefore 2:00AM (bar-time) is 1:45AM (real-time). Denver bars call last-call at 1:00AM (real-time) so that everybody is done drinking, settles their tab, and gets out the door by 2:00AM (bar-time).
That is a lie about the late open places. Marios, petes, Leela, tom's, Denver dinner, and many more are downtown.

Are you sure your watch was set for mountian time? Milwaukee is an hour ahead...

Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
oh yes, downtown San Diego has some neat stuff. I totally agree with Vegas, you sure missed those MantaRay! They aren't exactly tourist spots either so that could be why you didn't know about them. My husband and I have often flirted with the idea of moving to San Diego instead of Miami, but Calif. in general seems to be on a steep decline what with them issuing IOU's for tax refunds. Still, San Diego would be a perfect place for us city-wise.
I sort of look at the whole thing like places getting back to fair value. Home prices have dropped because home prices went way beyond where they were supposed to be, ie. fair value due to falsely created demand, ie. unsustainable ARM mortgages and unsustainable flipping and unsustainable buying to rent out. Unfortunately, Cali built itself a house of cards, growing to depend on property taxes on houses with unsustainable prices. So this is like a big reset. Painful, but it will be over at some point and then markets will have gotten back to fair value and governments will scale back and learn to operate based on taxes on fair value. Cali needs to be on a steep decline in order to get to fair value and get the inflated pricing out of the market. But the decline will end.

It must be nice to be able to just up and move. I think I'd like SD a lot more than Miami too. Of course I like Denver better than Miami too.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
That is a lie about the late open places. Marios, petes, Leela, tom's, Denver dinner, and many more are downtown.

Are you sure your watch was set for mountian time? Milwaukee is an hour ahead...
I think you just bagged yourself a big ol' TROLL

Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Quote:
...if you ask me...

Nobody is asking you so attempt to enjoy your new environment, or is that as dead as the WI discussions on City-Data as well.
Quote:
...You guys are always going on about how your performing arts complex is second to none or how your neighborhoods are so vibrant; Denver is the envy of the entire civilized world. You try to sell Denver to people like me who are city dwellers by nature, not realizing how isolated and boring Denver will eventually become to us. If mountains aren't in your top 5 reasons for moving to Denver, then you shouldn't move to Denver, period.

And what facts have you brought to the table that the DCPA is not the second largest performing arts complex outside NYC's Lincoln Center. You are continuing to lie because Denver didn't work for you. It isn't for everybody but to exaggerate the facts is troll posting at its best. How could a self described 26 year old broke student (your words not mine) be an expert on Denver after 4 years here? So the party environment wasn't here for you and you have it where you are at, great, now go have another drink.
Quote:
...Bar-time is usually 15 minutes faster than real-time, therefore 2:00AM (bar-time) is 1:45AM (real-time). Denver bars call last-call at 1:00AM (real-time) so that everybody is done drinking, settles their tab, and gets out the door by 2:00AM (bar-time).

More Troll posting, who cares if your closing time is 1/2 hour longer.

Try doing something helpful with your time for City Date readers and offer accurate advice.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehills View Post
"People from Chicago will travel all the way up here on the weekends just to enjoy my city's restaurants and bars."

Now that's just ridiculous. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and never, never knew anyone to drive up to Milwaukee for the nightlife. Chicago has some of the best nightlife in the country.
Much agreed, there is absolutely no reason for someone to leave Chicago for nightlife in Milwaukee!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Much agreed, there is absolutely no reason for someone to leave Chicago for nightlife in Milwaukee!

You mean other than for reasons of affordability and accessibility as I previously mentioned.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You mean other than for reasons of affordability and accessibility as I previously mentioned.
This thread is so dead!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
I don't know if "nice" is the term I'd use to pick up and move. More like work your *ss off, save like crazy, spend no money and have little fun, all in an effort to up and move.

SD and Miami are wayyyy too different to compare, but hey, to each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I sort of look at the whole thing like places getting back to fair value. Home prices have dropped because home prices went way beyond where they were supposed to be, ie. fair value due to falsely created demand, ie. unsustainable ARM mortgages and unsustainable flipping and unsustainable buying to rent out. Unfortunately, Cali built itself a house of cards, growing to depend on property taxes on houses with unsustainable prices. So this is like a big reset. Painful, but it will be over at some point and then markets will have gotten back to fair value and governments will scale back and learn to operate based on taxes on fair value. Cali needs to be on a steep decline in order to get to fair value and get the inflated pricing out of the market. But the decline will end.

It must be nice to be able to just up and move. I think I'd like SD a lot more than Miami too. Of course I like Denver better than Miami too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver