Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 44,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
Left on red from a one-way street to a one-way street is legal.
this is, of course, only true if you are turning the proper direction onto the one-way... sugue into Denver DUI stories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,258,075 times
The Denver winter wardrobe - cargo shorts, sandals with socks, and a parka

OK, I'll admit I'm guilty of this fashion feaux pas. Usually because I'm wearing shorts and socks in the house (we have a shoes-off policy) and need to walk the dog, so I just slip into sandals on the front porch, but throw on a parka and hat on my way out.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

34,256 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The Denver winter wardrobe - cargo shorts, sandals with socks, and a parka

OK, I'll admit I'm guilty of this fashion feaux pas. Usually because I'm wearing shorts and socks in the house (we have a shoes-off policy) and need to walk the dog, so I just slip into sandals on the front porch, but throw on a parka and hat on my way out.

BTDT. Cut the lawn when it was snowing in that outfit.

Layers baby, layers.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Considering the weather of the past few days is typical of the weather in the midwest most all winter, you see why they don't dress like that.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,267,349 times
When you meet someone for the first time, often the question is "So, where are you from?" instead of "So, are you from here?" or something similar.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM

22 posts, read 189,865 times
Hi one and all.....I"m new to this site so bare with me...I've read with great enjoyment,. everyone's messages so thought I'd add my 2 cents......... I received an e-mail from my uncle in California so not sure if its gotten around the internet or if any others got it........it, too, is about different words and / or phrases........hope you enjoy

Anyone remember "fender skirts" on cars......

"Curb feelers".......flexible wires attached to car & allows you to know how close you are to the curb

Steering knob....AKA "suicide knobs" used to turn steering wheel with one had

"Contenental kits"...........package you could get that attaches to your trunk .....a bumper extender that held a spare tire,,,,,,made car look like an expensive Lincoln Contenental

Parking brake used to be known as "EMERGENCY" brake

Accelerator once known as "foot feed" or "foot pedal"

"Running boards" on cars

"Coast to coast" used to conjour up excitment..........now "World Wide" is taken for granted

"Store bought" now is "purchaced" or just "bought"

People used to cover their wood floors with carpet.....now we replace carpet with hardwood flooring

"In a family way".........for the term "preganant" . Preganant used to be too graphic

Bra used to be called a "Brassiere" Last time i heard that term was when i was a boy and my Mom told me get hers out of the dryer.

The movies were the "Picture Show"

A real put-down was calling someone a "Rat Fink" ...now those were fighting words.....lol

Coffee pot used to be called a "Percolator"

A then, 1963 Admiral TV is now a "Spectroavision"

There's never been a "Lumbago Telethon"

"Castor Oil" was used to cure EVERYTHING and ANYTHING and sometimes for a punishment.............maybe thats why we don't here of "Lumbago" anymore......lol

"Dinner" now used to be "Supper"

"Suicide Doors".............when both vehicle doors open up from the middle

Remember when you used to be able to burn your trash in the incerator in your own back yard

I remember Pearl who used to drive up and down the alleys, usually on weekends in her old station wagon, collecting the grass clippings, from that day's mowing, for her horses

Thanks for all the memories

[SIZE=2] [SIZE=3] [SIZE=2][SIZE=2] [SIZE=3] [SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][/SIZE] [SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM

152 posts, read 618,140 times
Default weird things about Denver

I'm from AZ, moved here Jan of 08
Here are a few things I've observed as being unique to denver

1)The dirtiest cars you've ever seen in your life

2)Lack of full service car washes (I've seen maybe 5 in the whole denver metro area)

3)All the parks around the city, good, large parks

4)Good Times fast food

5)People thinking that restaurants like BJ's, The Keg and Chipotle are unique to the area

6)Suburus

7)Me, an Arizona native who's never been in a snow storm since jan of 08 when we moved here, driving faster than 50% of the cars on the road when there's snow coming down. I'm a very cautious driver too. (draw your own conclusions)

8)Smokers (never seen so many smokers, and for a health concious state, I'm surprised)

9) Deer feet sticking out the back of a truck on 1-70

10) About 50 different license plates to choose from

Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
10) About 50 different license plates to choose from
If you ever happen to be in Montana, take a look there. I swear that state has 200+ different plates you could currently get. For a state with such a small population, you wonder why they don't just let everyone design their own ;-)

Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,258,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
If you ever happen to be in Montana, take a look there. I swear that state has 200+ different plates you could currently get. For a state with such a small population, you wonder why they don't just let everyone design their own ;-)
I'm surprised the DMV doesn't just hand you a blank plate and some crayones to color your own right there in the office I really can't stand all these stupid specialty plates. Want to advertise your opinion? Get a bumper sticker! Plus it's cheaper.

I stick with the base white plates - very nice and not overly graphic.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm surprised the DMV doesn't just hand you a blank plate and some crayones to color your own right there in the office I really can't stand all these stupid specialty plates. Want to advertise your opinion? Get a bumper sticker! Plus it's cheaper.
There's a term for that.... Urban Dictionary: bumper sticker activism

But, those plates do raise money for different causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver