Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM

26,328 posts, read 94,051,278 times

Advertisements

I'd never seen a minimum 55 MPH hour speed limit sign before I traveled on I-25.

How about the 55 MPH speed limit on 225 from 25 to 70? Always seemed too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 PM

164 posts, read 598,174 times
[quote=UDAirman71;6569106]I’ve been reading this forum for awhile now and I’ve heard all about the weather, the suburbs, the great places to eat, the terrible traffic, et cetera, et cetera What I haven’t come across yet though are the little things that are different in Denver.

If there’s anything else you can think of that you thought was strange when you got there, or if there’s anything that guests or relatives thought was strange/different when they came to visit I’d be interested in knowing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone mentioned something about alleys in suburbs---I've seen alot of dirt alleys in the city (strange at first) even in decent/nicer areas. Very strange, because I'd always assumed this meant neglect or poverty.

Also, the wood fencing that's everywhere, especially on property facing major streets (Evans between I-25 and Colorado).

And lawns full of landscaping rocks instead of grass.

Businesses opening then closing in the blink of an eye.

Sunglasses worn always everywhere.

The cleanliness of old automobiles, (in my home state of minnesota, any car over 6 or 7 years old has a rust spot or two- they take a serious winter beating).

Roving trucks that sell (usually) mexican food- it's funny, there's one of these parked behind a mexican restaurant near my workplace, and the truck beats the restaurant hands down.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 PM

13,826 posts, read 30,071,467 times
Here's one that really bugs me:

Unmashed beans.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM

15 posts, read 45,012 times
I've never heard "Warshington Park -" We just call it Wash Park. I'm a native & say 'soda' but I guess a lot of people call it 'pop.' Beer is probably the most common beverage. Denver was way ahead of the curve on the mircobrew trend. People here love the weather, especially the snow and even the rain, "we can use the moisture!" For the most part, I think Denverites are pretty laid back and positive thinking. Mostly we ***** about the traffic and the implants. The implants (mostly from Cali) are blamed for the traffic, the urban sprawl, the real estate ups and downs and, did I mention, THE TRAFFIC, and the idiot drivers. We know how to drive in the snow - when to crawl along, slide through yellow lights when it's clear, turn the wheel left when the car skids to the right, how to brake properly in ice and rain and how to drive normally even when it sometimes looks 'bad.' We know these things instindtively and it screws us up when the newbies drive normally when they shouldn't and when they creep along in a light flurry. This drives us NUTS.

It is true that we love our dogs here. They jog with us, rake our leaves with us, ride to the coffee shop with us, etc. There are a lot of dog parks here, if you're new here, that would be a great place to make some new friends.

Denver doesn't have decent public transportation. Denver does have a good amount of museums, even some unusual ones like The Butterfly Pavillion. Denver has some one-of-a-kind restaurants and cafes in most neighborhoods; not as many as some other cities (I'm thinking of both coasts - probably because they have more cultural diversity). If you don't live in the 'burbs, you should have a couple of haunts special to only your neighborhood.

The best part of Denver is the mountains. Even if you don't ski or 'board, or hike even (!?!), you should check out the hills. There is great shopping in some of the ski towns, and a lot of music events in the summer.....

I have lived a lot of places and have to say, I really like the people here. Like I said, most of us are pretty laid back and positive thinking!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM

they're called "roach-coaches" (mostly cater to on-site construction workers)

Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM

402 posts, read 1,270,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Also, I get along with and like very much all my neighbors (and sometimes their dogs), rich, poor, Russians, Vietnamese, Mexican, Laotians, Cubans, Chinese, Koreans, Hispanic, Whites, Blacks, Rednecks and those indeterminate individuals----we all have our unique characteristics that I appreciate.
You forgot 'honkies', but I won't hold a grudge over it. We can still be friends.

(Yes, I'm single handedly trying to bring back the word honky because honestly... who doesn't like saying it?!)

Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM

oops - that reply was to Icewater ....about the roving burrito trucks

Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 PM

402 posts, read 1,270,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewater View Post
And lawns full of landscaping rocks instead of grass.
Down the shore (the beach) in Jersey rocks are much much more common-place than here. But, the intentions there are much different. Here's it's a "save the environment" reasoning but in Jersey it's a "save my wallet" reason (The cost to water your lawn is more outrageous than you'd ever imagine)

Here you see rocks and think "they're doing their part", in Jersey you see rocks and think "oh, his neighbor has more money than him"

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Sadly, a lot of Denverites don't know how to drive in the snow. I came here form Illinois where most people do know how; it's frustrating. Some people think one needs to allow no more maneuvering distance in the snow than on the 4th of July.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 AM

7,075 posts, read 9,573,629 times
how about cracked windshields?
people seem to drive around with them for months before having them replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver