Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM

91 posts, read 340,350 times

Advertisements

Obviously the mountains are a big part of what makes Denver what it is. I never heard the word "gulch" until I moved here. And you gotta love the "hogback."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I think that is more of a red neck thing then a Denverite thing.
I don't think so, Aztec. My mother-in-law is quite the upper-class doyenne and has been driving around with the same cracked wind-screen for years. I think it's a battle between her and my father-in-law, who thinks she should call their mechanic and have it fixed. Other the other hand, she thinks it's his job to make sure her car is maintained.

I also have a chip in my wind-screen, which has been there for two years, and I'm hardly a red-neck. Of course, I do have a few relatives in Kentucky, all of whom have two first names, so then again....

Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
I totally agree with the windshield thing!! I am one of the MANY people driving around with a cracked one......just happened on Saturday. I was sitting at the light off of I-70 waiting to turn onto Wadsworth and from up above I got pelted with snow and ice chunks as the plow went by. I had already had a chip (that had been filled) and with the weather and ice ...... it cracked all along the bottom.

I'm not a redneck and I can afford it, but it doesn't ruin my vision right now so I will probably wait a few weeks to fix it.

Before I moved here I never really experienced all of the right turn "lanes" that have the yield signs. Just a normal turn lane. Someone also told me you can turn left on a red here if it is a one way street? Not sure I believe that one.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM

402 posts, read 1,266,795 times
I've had the same cracks in my windshield since a month after I bought my car, which almost 4 years ago. Yes, pural, crackS. Since I'm in the mountains so often, used to live there for most of those 4 years too, I know that if I get it fixed it's going to get cracked again. But that's not really the issue, the issue is that I'd be risking getting a crack that interferes with my ability to see out the window. Currently the location of the cracks don't interfere, no sun glare from them ever, not in my line of sight, etc.

So should I replace the windshield, just to break it again in a month and risk having that crack interfere with my vision for a week... just to repeat the cycle indefinitely? The moment it interferes with my vision I have more than enough money to fix it at any point, so I don't think it's a red-neck thing. Aztec... you may have lost your beer on Thursday... calling me that. j/k

Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,216 times
LOL! You will all get the crack repaired once spring hits and the cops start giving you tickets for the cracks. If you park downtown or in Capitol Hill and have cracks, it is just a matter of time before they find you. Though I am a native, I do have red neck tendencies, which I blame all the migrated Texas for. I use to leave my cracks until the windshield was about to cave in on me. I left them alone until tickets began. Maybe it is now more of a suburban thing.

ZionVier, you are trying to bring back the word ****** in another thread, please tell how far away that is from redneck? That means two beers from you to me on Thursday night!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Huh. Good to know. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket from a cracked windshield here. Seems like every third car around here has one.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAFLOC View Post
Obviously the mountains are a big part of what makes Denver what it is. I never heard the word "gulch" until I moved here. And you gotta love the "hogback."
I know what a 'gully' or 'gulch' is, but what is a 'hogback'?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I know what a 'gully' or 'gulch' is, but what is a 'hogback'?
Ken-Caryl Valley is behind a hogback.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Huh. Good to know. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket from a cracked windshield here. Seems like every third car around here has one.
Trust me, I have had two of them. It is just like driving with a broken tail light, one additional item to pull you over for. Cops use to leave the issue alone in the winter because of the sand on the roads and everyone had them, but only the burbs are still using sand regularly and not mag. chloride. The sand added large amounts of dust to our winter inversion brown clouds, so the EPA recommended we find an alternative.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM

181 posts, read 582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Someone also told me you can turn left on a red here if it is a one way street? Not sure I believe that one.
Left on red from a one-way street to a one-way street is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver