Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times

Advertisements

How about being able to buy green chiles straight from the farm and have freshly roasted in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Yes, where else can you green chili's roasted right in front of you? I think healthy fast food is what I miss most-Tokoyo Joe's, Greens, I miss the healthy enviroment...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Speaking of only 2 lane highways...When C470 was being proposed and built, I was working for the Forest Service and we did a land survey for that area for 100,000 housing units (house and apartments combined).. When the final approval went to The Governor he would ONLY approve 2 lanes each way because he didn't think there would be that much interest in people moving down that way...Well as anyone who lives there can see each rush hour it is a massive Parking Lot....Too bad the Governor didn't have an vision of forsight....

Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Speaking of only 2 lane highways...When C470 was being proposed and built, I was working for the Forest Service and we did a land survey for that area for 100,000 housing units (house and apartments combined).. When the final approval went to The Governor he would ONLY approve 2 lanes each way because he didn't think there would be that much interest in people moving down that way...Well as anyone who lives there can see each rush hour it is a massive Parking Lot....Too bad the Governor didn't have an vision of forsight....
Lucky thing RTD will be expanding train service down there in a few years. That's a little thing I love about Denver that makes Denver...Denver.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
I thought it was the coolest thing when I was in Denver a few years ago and saw the chain with all the different types of salads. SALADS! That was fabulous. What's the name of that place? Greens?
MAD Greens? I love that place.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM

206 posts, read 260,000 times
moved to the PNW, and heres what i miss/think is unique about Denver:
The Greek Mafia
Grandpas/Tammys burgers
Chubbys
finest sunsets in the nation
Paleta ice cream carts.
the fact that they call the Platte a river. (its more like a large stream lol.)
Strong work ethic, casual demeanor.
Coloradans are very open minded folk generally, yet they have an extremely low tolerance for posturing, whining or rudeness. They possess neither extreme passive aggression for which the west coast is known, or the brash bluntness of the east coast

Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Yeah, I actually asked about that when I first moved here to Denver. Somebody explained to me about how the Governor would only approve 2 lanes. What a dolt. I live in Parker, and I take I-25 one exit up from Lincoln to 470 and take it east to Wadsworth in Lakewood every day.

Luckily I go in at 6:00, but when I get off at 4:30, often times its really congested. And God help those poor bastards going west on C470 from DTC/I-25. It's always backed up on the other side of the highway as I approach I-25.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM

13 posts, read 53,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'd never noticed that. I guess it's normal to me, since my relatives in Ohio say it the same way.
It's actually a western Pennsylvania dialect....but my family in Denver used to say it, too.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 AM

13 posts, read 53,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Chipotle always tastes better in Denver. Case closed. lol.
It may be all over the country now but it is a Denver institution, one that I personally am very proud of.
Obviously you dont live near here....yes, it was the first one, but before they moved in parents were taking their smiling children for icecream at Dolly Madison's. Now we have rude drivers who block the neighbors in their driveways, roar up and down the street and whip into residents' driveways so it's no longer safe for children, throw trash in neighboring yards, cuss out residents if asked to move their cars, trample on our gardens------just a lower-class and sometimes dangerous clientele altogether. Cant count the times I've nearly been plowed down crossing at the corner by some burrito-mad idiot. And then there's the stink of stale fry grease in the air (at least the EPA got them to stop dumping it in the gutter), the early-morning wakeups to dumpster-dumpers, loud midnight sessions power-cleaning the grills, etc etc. So bad most of the neighbors had to move out. I long for the children to come back, they were sweet. No offense to you, you probably have no idea, but hardly a place to inspire pride. They've all but destroyed our neighborhood, and to this day refuse to post a sign asking for courtesy to neighbors like other small restaurants.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 13,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Natives say "Pop".
Transplants say whatever they say where they came from.
I still say "Soda".
Hmmm...as someone who grew up in the Southeast and has lived in Atlanta for over 12 years, I'm used to just calling everything a "Coke" - Diet Coke, Sprite, Mello Yello. We don't really care what it is...as long as it's not Pepsi! Guess I'll have to get over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Some people like to say street names incorrectly, for example: Gal-uh-pay-go for Galapago, or ZOO-NYE, for Zuni. This has been discussed on the forum before.
I find this interesting and have noticed the same thing here in the South. There is a major street in Atlanta called Ponce de Leon, after the Spanish explorer. Here it is pronounced by everyone as "PONCE DA LEE-yon." Also, pretty much for every city/town that ends with "ville," (Greenville, Asheville, Knoxville) that part of the word is pronounced "VULL" and is always the least emphasized syllable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver