Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 01:14 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,803,211 times

Advertisements

My prayers are with you TFW and your family.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
TFW, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a terrible loss.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 PM

693 posts, read 704,693 times
So sorry TFW, a childhood friend of mine died last week from a heroin overdose. He was 54. It covers all age groups. Such a sad sad way of life and way to die. Prayers are with you and your family.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:51 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Thanks so very much, Camper, Flamingo, Bob, Ketabcha and lindarby. She was living at home and my sister found her when she went to wake her up for a doctor appointment. The whole family (my sister, brother-in-law and nephew) is still in shock.

I cant fly up to Virginia for the service but my sister and her family have a lot of support right now. It's when things start to slow down that I think she'll fall apart and will need my help.

So I've asked her to come down for a visit at that time. She's been here a number of times over the past few years and has always said how much she enjoyed just vegging out at my house. Sometimes just vegging out can be a lifesaver.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
TFW, I'm so sorry your sister had to find her. In my mind it would have been kinder in a way to have been notified than to actually discover a loved one. I was always afraid I was going to discover my brother but he died while I was out of town camping ( as was my sister). Either way it's hard. Even when you know it's coming.
I think your right about waiting till later. It's when the crowds leave that we really need someone.
My heart goes out to you both and I send you hugs.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanks again, everyone. My niece's funeral is this morning and I went grocery shopping today. At the same time as the funeral was scheduled to start, I pulled into the grocery store parking lot and was met by a man asking for food for his kids.

I asked if he wanted money, thinking that, if he said yes, I wouldnt give him any cash -- because I never give cash to beggars. But he said no, no money, he needed food for his 3 kids -- that he had just started a job but had no money yet.

So I went into the grocery store and bought him bread, bologna, cheese slices, bananas, cereal and milk. I gave it to him and told him it was in memory of my niece. He was very grateful.

Maybe I got taken but, if so, so what? It was $20 that I might have frittered away. At least now there's one more person in this world who knows that my niece existed.

I often buy food for people. From now on, I'm going to tell them it's in honor of my niece. She can live on that way.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,803,211 times
That's so nice TFW!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks, Bob. I didnt do it to be nice but I understand what you meant. I've been shopping at that grocery store for at least 10 years and have never seen anyone asking for food or anything else there. I kinda took it as a sign today of something I can do to keep my niece's memory alive.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
TFW - this happened to come up in my news feed: Virginia governor declares opioid addiction crisis a public health emergency - AOL News

Old 11-21-2016, 07:08 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks again, everyone. My niece's funeral is this morning and I went grocery shopping today. At the same time as the funeral was scheduled to start, I pulled into the grocery store parking lot and was met by a man asking for food for his kids.

I asked if he wanted money, thinking that, if he said yes, I wouldnt give him any cash -- because I never give cash to beggars. But he said no, no money, he needed food for his 3 kids -- that he had just started a job but had no money yet.

So I went into the grocery store and bought him bread, bologna, cheese slices, bananas, cereal and milk. I gave it to him and told him it was in memory of my niece. He was very grateful.

Maybe I got taken but, if so, so what? It was $20 that I might have frittered away. At least now there's one more person in this world who knows that my niece existed.

I often buy food for people. From now on, I'm going to tell them it's in honor of my niece. She can live on that way.
I don't think you were taken. I think you are kind beyond words.

I was out in the back yard talking to the tree were spread my brothers ashes beneath today. It's a nice Mexican sycamore and I swear it's almost doubled in size since we planted it. I miss my brother everyday. He was really into drugs ever since he got out of the Army in 1973 and just never recovered from my mothers death.

Drugs are cruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff