Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times

Advertisements

Crap! I had no idea Jack Atherton had moved to Dayton from Cincinnati.

I used to use that very path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
I use that bike path on occasion. Interesting

Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
After an extended weekend in Louisville, one is reminded yet again what a big, lame-ass ZERO Dayton really is....

I need to get some anti-Dayton bumper stickers made up at Cafe Press one of these days...any ideas? I'm thinking "Deterioratin' in Dayton" might be clever...any other ideas for funny negative bumper stickers. "

Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
After an extended weekend in Louisville, one is reminded yet again what a big, lame-ass ZERO Dayton really is....

I need to get some anti-Dayton bumper stickers made up at Cafe Press one of these days...any ideas? I'm thinking "Deterioratin' in Dayton" might be clever...any other ideas for funny negative bumper stickers. "

Mail Salvage Ideas To PO Box (need post office box #)

Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Quote:

"It's Hate'n Dayton" (after "It's Great in Dayton")

Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM

477 posts, read 664,427 times
I hate to say it, but Dayton has zero charm, its got some interesting history in terms of technological innovation but little of that translated into actually making a place that people care about - there aren't really distinct neighborhoods, the downtown was attractive historically but pretty much decimated by idiotic anti urban ideals of the 1960s/70s and there is very little economic opportunity and kind of an oppressive conservatism all around. The economy is a shadow of its former self and it seems to kind of wallow in negative aspects of the hill billy transplants the town attracted in the mid 20th century. Its also amazing how little personality the city has - it could be flipped with any number of other smallish Midwestern towns and no one would know the difference - the city has no internal unique culture and anything that's unique is imported from Cincinnati in small doses.

I wouldn't move back to the Dayton area in a million years, and I don't really see any future for the city other than a slow prolonged death.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:

"Where seldom is heard an encouraging word, and the skies are gloomy all day ..."

Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I hate to say it, but Dayton has zero charm, its got some interesting history in terms of technological innovation but little of that translated into actually making a place that people care about - there aren't really distinct neighborhoods, the downtown was attractive historically but pretty much decimated by idiotic anti urban ideals of the 1960s/70s and there is very little economic opportunity and kind of an oppressive conservatism all around. The economy is a shadow of its former self and it seems to kind of wallow in negative aspects of the hill billy transplants the town attracted in the mid 20th century. Its also amazing how little personality the city has - it could be flipped with any number of other smallish Midwestern towns and no one would know the difference - the city has no internal unique culture and anything that's unique is imported from Cincinnati in small doses.

I wouldn't move back to the Dayton area in a million years, and I don't really see any future for the city other than a slow prolonged death.
So South Park, the Oregon District, McPherson Town, Webster Station, Old North Dayton, Rubicon, Belmont, Dayton View, Fairview, Twin Towers, St Anne's Hill, Huffman, Fairgrounds, Carillon, Deweese Park, Wright-Dunbar, etc. don't exist in your world?

And enlighten me, what exactly is getting "decimated" in Dayton these days?

And what's not unique about Milano's, Marion's, Esther-Price, Mike-Sells Potato Chips, Dorothy Lane Market, Winans and Boston Stoker coffee?

I dont normally worry about feeding troll bait... But sometimes enough is enough. Get a clue!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

477 posts, read 664,427 times
I'm guessing my opinions are a bit colored by comparing Cincy to Dayton. The Oregon District and a few areas around UD and to include the suburbs Oakwood are good areas, but the rest of the city isn't that impressive by a long shot. Dorthy Lane Market is great and I was happy to get one in my last years in Springboro. The city as a whole is pretty drab though (again comparing to the wonderful brick Italianate townhouses in Cincinnati).

Marions pizza is yummy probably the best pizza place in Ohio I have many a fond memory of playing in the arcade there as a little kid. Mike Sells and Ester Price eh, I've seen the same thing in other areas.

I should be fair and mention the good stuff with the bad

1) Trolleybuses, these are super cool and Dayton is only one of a handful of cities in the US to have kept them
2) The Dayton Air Force Museum - this is on par with the Smithsonian air and space museum.

----

Books and Co was wonderful back in the day though sadly it was bought out by books-a-million.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Even the dwarfs are tough in Dayton:

A knife-wielding little person suspected of bicycle theft | www.daytondailynews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton