Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 53,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Grand Rapids. Roughly equivilant regional economies (Gross Metropolitan Product) and populations, but GR appears to have a better downtown. This place is surfacing more and more as a "good example".
GR, Chattanooga, and others. I'd like to see more interaction between Cincinnati and Dayton since they will be lumped together soon. They aren't Mnpls-StP but they could start working on some big ideas together, namely light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:13 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Pretty sad to say The Greene is the biggest attraction. That's one thing Louisville doesnt have that Dayton does, something like the Greene.
I've been to the Greene...it really is not too much different than the Summit. It does have a better street gridded layout and does mix in a little commercial and residential. I'd imagine Norton Commons in five years will be substantially more vibrant than the Greene, as more retail and likely some small bars fill in. Although, at last check, the Greene was one of the main nightlife districts for single heterosexuals in Dayton. Sad, really.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I've been to the Greene...it really is not too much different than the Summit. It does have a better street gridded layout and does mix in a little commercial and residential. I'd imagine Norton Commons in five years will be substantially more vibrant than the Greene, as more retail and likely some small bars fill in. Although, at last check, the Greene was one of the main nightlife districts for single heterosexuals in Dayton. Sad, really.
How is that sad? Louisville is quite larger than Dayton, and I really don't see too much of a differance in what both cities have to offer. Louisville obviously has a busier downtown for its population. Dayton is a severely underrated mid-sized city.

Sorry, but I will call you out if you want to point out "how bad it is", just like you do in the Kentucky forum ALL the time.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
The shopping center Styx is referring to is a conventional U-shaped strip center with better stores and some chain restaurants. It is nothing like the Greene, which is an excellent example of its type, something that neither Louisville nor Cincinnati have yet.

The Dayton metropolitan area has, by far, a better suburban environment than Louisville, if one prefers suburban and small town places. Dayton suburbs also have locally controlled, neighborhood based school districts, which generally are good academic performers. In short, the Dayton area is more family-freindly, an excellent choice for young families.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
I need help on a research paper over if Dayton's still a Gem City...Anyone wanna help me please! Thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM

104 posts, read 313,785 times
animoto - Urban Nights May 2010 Hell yes, Dayton is still a gem! This video is from last weekend's Urban Nights which also included Urban Bikes @ Urban Nights, FilmDayton FilmFest and the World A'Fair. Dayton just received the bronze status Bicycle Friendly City. The sad fact is that downtown especially has a lot of nonbelievers who haven't been there in years (if at all) and won't give it a chance. The Oregon District is alive with restaurant and bar options as well, especially the new SideBar which just opened in the old Pacchia location and has people lined up out the door - even though they've yet to hold their grand opening.

Feel free to contact me if you want help. I'm a native Daytonian and have never found a place I'd rather live.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM

26 posts, read 69,502 times
I hate the Greene, HATE IT. Unfortunately, being 17, I don't really have many options for a place to hang out. I do, however, refuse to spend money there, besides a movie ticket every once and a while. Before the Greene was there it was a wooded area and my mum is furious that they cut down all those trees for a sh*thole like the Greene. I would love to see the Arcade open and it be successful too.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
Dayton is soo boring! I grew up there and moved when I got married. I would never move back!!!

Really?? I kind of like Dayton but ALL of my family is there, and we do a lot of family activities together. That is the only thing that doesn't make it boring, but if you don't have a strong network base that is willing to go out and do things together, then you are doomed! Like here in Austin, TX, i have no friends and not much family, and it SUCKS!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Really?? I kind of like Dayton but ALL of my family is there, and we do a lot of family activities together. That is the only thing that doesn't make it boring, but if you don't have a strong network base that is willing to go out and do things together, then you are doomed! Like here in Austin, TX, i have no friends and not much family, and it SUCKS!
Sajae,

I think that most of the U.S. is like that, however. If you do not have a strong family or friend base where you are living at, you are going to find it difficult in most areas of the country.

Is there something particular about Austin that you do not like? Or, is it the lack of the family/support base that you had back in Ohio? If so, I can understand that you might be having a hard time there. I grew up in dayton, and now live in Chicago, and had a tough time in the beginning as well, because I knew NO ONE here and where I was living at (Chicago burbs), NO ONE wanted to be friends, really. It is very tough to move to a new area and start over. My brother and his wife/kids moved to Austin and I think that they somewhat regret that decision as well, not because there is anything wrong with Austin (although it is a somewhat transient town), but because they lack the family support that they had from my parents (and cousins etc) back in Dayton. But, due to dayton's problems, they have decided to stay, and my parents are moving to austin to be closer to their grandkids (plus, my mother is originally from TX so she loves it there anyway).

But, if it is not working for you there in Austin, then I would say, yes you should go back to Dayton.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
How is Chicago treating you today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton