Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,485,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I get to stay at home with my wife and sons and play in the snow making wonderful lasting memories. Great stuff to me! Or you could just look at the glass half empty as you seem to do.
What you fail to acknowledge (or maybe even comprehend) is that while you may enjoy staying at home, you do so because of a damaging weather event that causes tremendous expense, damage and suffering to many others; including your employer, your city, your county and your state. In addition, the cause (winter weather event) that provides you this enjoyment also causes accidents, personal injuries and even deaths. So, while you seem to be very pleased with yourself in telling me how you enjoy staying at home with your wife and sons and playing in the snow making lasting memories - you certainly do not appear to be able (or even willing) to see the tremendously damaging effects to many people and businesses that provided you with your day at home. Or maybe you just simply don't care...

Last edited by highcotton; 02-12-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,872,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
What you fail to acknowledge (or maybe even comprehend) is that while you may enjoy staying at home, you do so because of a damaging weather event that causes tremendous expense, damage and suffering to many others; including your employer, your city, your county and your state. In addition, the cause (winter weather event) that provides you this enjoyment also causes accidents, personal injuries and even deaths. So, while you seem to be very pleased with yourself in telling me how you enjoy staying at home with your wife and sons and playing in the snow making lasting memories - you certainly do not appear to be able (or even willing) to see the tremendously damaging effects to many people and businesses that provided you with your day at home. Or maybe you just simply don't care...
Or, perhaps staying home to be safe. Not creating accidents that fire fighters respond to, and then the firefighters are in danger of getting hit by another out of control car and getting a fatal push off of a bridge.

Is your driving worth the life of another person?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,472,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I say we just ban bad weather. There is nothing we can do to change it so rather than having a horrible outlook on the situation maybe YOU should open your eyes to the good it can bring. Or just continue to complain and look at the downsides.

Last edited by bencronin04; 02-12-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,427,333 times
Quote:
damaging weather event that causes tremendous expense, damage and suffering to many others; including your employer, your city, your county and your state.
So what office are you running for, as that might be the most pompous fear-mongering response I've ever heard that didn't come out of a politican's mouth begging to be elected. You did forget to mention children though. They might have to stay home one day and not get to play dodgeball. Oh the suffering!!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Or, perhaps staying home to be safe. Not creating accidents that fire fighters respond to, and then the firefighters are in danger of getting hit by another out of control car and getting a fatal push off of a bridge.

Is your driving worth the life of another person?
Don't ask me, ask my employer!!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I say we just ban bad weather. There is nothing we can do to change it so rather than having a horrible outlook on the situation maybe YOU should open your eyes to the good it can bring. Or just continue to complain and look at the downsides.
The fact of the matter is, bad winter weather brings far more bad, than good. It has nothing to do with complaining or 'glass half full'.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
So what office are you running for, as that might be the most pompous fear-mongering response I've ever heard that didn't come out of a politican's mouth begging to be elected. You did forget to mention children though. They might have to stay home one day and not get to play dodgeball. Oh the suffering!!
And I might as well add; when children must stay home due to bad weather it causes issues and added expenses for the [taxpayer paid] school systems...and it causes parents to miss work, which in-turn causes stoppage for the economy.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,818,087 times
It really doesn't matter WHAT anyone likes or thinks of the weather, it's not going to change Mother Nature!

Fact, Dallas does have wintry weather, every year, sometimes better or worse than those before, but never anything compared to many other areas in the nation, and certainly nothing to get in an uproar over for the few days it lasts, if at that! Fact, too, Dallas has one heck of a long hot summer, every year, sometimes unbearably hot and just as dangerous for some and as costly, albeit in a different way, as anything ever experienced in the winter months.

As this thread title states - it is the Dallas weather - complaining about either is not going to change these facts one iota bit. You can either choose to acknowledge this as a fact of life around here and accept it, or choose to be miserable and attempt to make everyone around you just as miserable. Regardless, it will be what it is and has always been.

Frankly, I think life is much too short to be miserable anywhere I live, and if I ever found any area's weather adversely affecting my positive outlook on a regular basis as some do here, then I wouldn't bother wasting my time or anyone else's with complaints, but instead would be searching for, and moving to, that place that does meet my own personal weather lifestyle.

With temps in the high 60's - low 70's forecast for this weekend, while half of the nation is still suffering with snow/ice and below-freezing conditions - ain't bad at all!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-12-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM

281 posts, read 644,729 times
When I first started really following these forums I saw this thread and read the word "cold" in the title and though oh geez...they must be like LA and think 50 degrees is freezing winter! Now (well over the year or so) I've been following the weather there and know what ya'll are talking about! When I first thought of moving I thought, oh I can chuck my boots and jackets if I'm moving to Texas! Not! I think ya'll are having a colder and more stormy winter than we are here next to the Sierra Nevadas!

I'm actually very glad to see it (of course I don't like hearing about the accidents, power outtages, deaths, etc...nobody does!) but, I was thinking I was going to miss my four seasons. It appears I won't be missing them at all!

It's funny how people not from around there stereotype Texas so much! Including me! I'll bet your summers are all nice and pleasant every day too huh? You just don't want us West Coasters to move over...I ain't fooled

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
When I first started really following these forums I saw this thread and read the word "cold" in the title and though oh geez...they must be like LA and think 50 degrees is freezing winter! Now (well over the year or so) I've been following the weather there and know what ya'll are talking about! When I first thought of moving I thought, oh I can chuck my boots and jackets if I'm moving to Texas! Not! I think ya'll are having a colder and more stormy winter than we are here next to the Sierra Nevadas!

I'm actually very glad to see it (of course I don't like hearing about the accidents, power outtages, deaths, etc...nobody does!) but, I was thinking I was going to miss my four seasons. It appears I won't be missing them at all!

It's funny how people not from around there stereotype Texas so much! Including me! I'll bet your summers are all nice and pleasant every day too huh? You just don't want us West Coasters to move over...I ain't fooled
A lot of truth in what you say.... Summers can be brutally hot, but it's mainly dry (at least compared with the Southeast, where I grew up & lived most of my life). So it isn't oppressive like it can be in the Southeast. I just hope this spring brings lots of rain, so our lakes can fill back up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas