Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM

451 posts, read 320,905 times

Advertisements

Well said and totally agree with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
Let me get back to the original scope of DFW slightly but still cover the out of topic discussion a bit.

On DFW situation:

I found Collin County provides slightly more details than Dallas.
I'm not saying who is right or wrong just want to show the differences:
Also Dallas City and County present the data in different ways.

Collin County:
https://www.collincountytx.gov/healt...ages/news.aspx

Dallas County:
https://www.dallascounty.org/departm...oronavirus.php
(Less details, but they do attach a PDF file with statistics for more info)

Dallas City:
https://dallascityhall.com/Pages/Corona-Virus.aspx

Personally, I would like to see governments provide more details and do like what the Taiwan government is doing:

Provide daily Wu-virus updates 7 days a week. (seems to me the Fed is copying this one to some extent, but not anywhere close to the level of details) Report new cases daily, including source of infection, travel history, and number of people that might have been in contact with them and potentially impacted areas.

Track down the source of infection as much as possible and try to quarantine potentially infected for 14 days

Perform tests on all cases tested negative for flu but with flu-like symptoms, and do it retrospectively
(this may be hard to do due to HIPAA...)

There is no massive shutdown in Taiwan other than banning flights to/from certain affected regions.

Recommend everyone to wear a mask but only when going out to highly populated areas.
(This helps reduce the spreading, since no one can be 100% certain given the 2 weeks incubation)

So far the strategy seems to have been working for Taiwan though they start to have more imported cases due to people traveling or returning from international travels.

Nevertheless the Taiwan approach seems to have kept the situation under control and avoided complete shutdowns. The daily briefings also help calm down the panic to some extent and restore confidence.

I do not think the economy can survive if we keep the shutdown for more than 2 months. There has to be a balance between protecting the old and weak and protecting the economy. If the economy tanks deaths from other causes may go up....offsetting the benefit of lower number of mostly elderly deaths from the virus...

Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
March 20th, Collin County reports 18 confirmed positive cases, 79 people under observation, 1 confirmed death.
Of the 18 positives, 4 have successfully recovered, 2 are hospitalized and 11 are in home isolation.
March 21, Collin County reports 27 confirmed positive cases

Old 03-21-2020, 11:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Considering all the people who were still dining out in restaurants the other day, it's probably going to explode here in Collin County.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
All "non-essential" businesses in Tarrant County were closed today at 6 pm for a minimum of 7 days.

Make this state wide or it is worthless.

At this point, I'd rather shut down the whole stinking world for 2 weeks. Rip the band-aid off, jump in the deep end, whatever. But this drop drop stuff is crap.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, and as I wrote last night, I'm extremely frustrated that although Tarrant County has closed all non essential businesses, this has not yet been done state wide. It's pointless if someone can just drive to the next county over.
It needs to be done statewide. Hard to believe that people don't take this seriously....

Old 03-22-2020, 10:55 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
We're all in this together:

"In these uncertain times, we all need somebody to lean on.

Or so felt the residents of South Side on Lamar, an apartment building in Dallas, Texas, where a group of residents stuck their heads out of windows in a chorus of quarantined voices.

Building resident and soulful tenor Danzel Barber led an apartment quarantine singalong to the popular Bill Withers song "Lean on Me."

Little by little, other residents began to join Barber in his refrain, some adding harmonies, some just peering out their windows or filming on phones. Others came in a bit off-beat or off-key — the perils of cross-apartment singing."

Link has the video:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rtment-windows

Old 03-22-2020, 11:19 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
It needs to be done statewide. Hard to believe that people don't take this seriously....
If we all wrote the Governor, it might achieve something, who knows. I'm going to write today.

https://gov.texas.gov/contact

Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
March 22, Collin County reports 31 confirmed positive cases, 75 people under monitoring.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 962,214 times
mod cut

There are numerous stories in the local media here of people who CANNOT get tested even though they are ill and numerous stories in the media that Texas is way behind in terms of testing.

I have someone in my home who is over age 65, immunosuppressed who has been sick for a week that cannot get tested here in DFW.

I've lived all over this state in the last 25 years. This isn't a hurricane or a tornado that hits a county or two. It's a pandemic which we have never seen and we could be in real trouble. Each county cannot set their own rules.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-22-2020 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation is not permitted per Terms of Service.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,107,805 times
Moderator note: Once again, please keep this thread locally-focused and apolitical. Post only news concerning the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Area such as canceled events, school/facility closures, local economic impacts, etc. A significant number of posts were removed and further off-topic content and speculations will be deleted.

Discussing moderator actions in this thread or any of the public forums is not permitted and considered a Terms of Service violation, so please refrain from doing so.

If you would like to discuss the coronavirus in general, please visit the Current Events forum.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-22-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas