Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think this is a healthy way of looking at it. Its a good time to make sure your wearing masks in crowded places but other than that, no reason for panic.
That’s not at all what I meant. There is no reason to be out doing non-essential things right now. Since it is spreading rapidly you have no idea if you have it or who you are passing it onto. While other countries nipped COVID in the bud, I think we are going to be riding the rona wave for 12-18 more months here in the US because people are being stupid and selfish. There is no reason to be in a crowded bar, pool, or be throwing graduation / birthday/ etc parties. A bunch of UT kids had a party in Austin, most got infected, which didn’t turn bad for the college kids but several of the parents are now hospitalized because kids came home.

Our pediatrician said to act as if you have it and everyone you come into contact with has it because if you do get it and the contact tracer calls, you’ll have to give an account of EVERY place and person you’ve been in contact with. Yes, I took the risk to get my hair done but I would be mortified to have to tell a tracer that I had been to 30 places in the last week. My risk might be low and your risk might be low, but if I give it to you and you go visit your high risk parents, they could end up in much much worse trouble than a bout with the regular flu.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:58 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That’s not at all what I meant. There is no reason to be out doing non-essential things right now. Since it is spreading rapidly you have no idea if you have it or who you are passing it onto. While other countries nipped COVID in the bud, I think we are going to be riding the rona wave for 12-18 more months here in the US because people are being stupid and selfish. There is no reason to be in a crowded bar, pool, or be throwing graduation / birthday/ etc parties. A bunch of UT kids had a party in Austin, most got infected, which didn’t turn bad for the college kids but several of the parents are now hospitalized because kids came home.

Our pediatrician said to act as if you have it and everyone you come into contact with has it because if you do get it and the contact tracer calls, you’ll have to give an account of EVERY place and person you’ve been in contact with. Yes, I took the risk to get my hair done but I would be mortified to have to tell a tracer that I had been to 30 places in the last week. My risk might be low and your risk might be low, but if I give it to you and you go visit your high risk parents, they could end up in much much worse trouble than a bout with the regular flu.
In 12-18 months, there should be a vaccine so no I dont think well be dealing with it then on the level we are now. When I said there isnt a reason to panic, right now there isnt. Were nowhere near hospital capacity and that is what flattening the curve is all about. That doesnt mean things cant get worse and we panic later, just not right now.

Also, the rise in cases dont show a pattern across states. Some of the states that had rises in cases ended lockdowns early. Some of the states had strong lockdowns in place until recently. Southern California and Vermont are examples of the later.

At the end of the day, weve got to realize what is realistic and what is not. You can call someone selfish for going out to do things you deem non-essential, but that wont change anything. Nothing is going to change anything except a vaccine. Some think thatll be here by end of the year and some say the first half of 2021. Who knows, but the US is treating this like 50 different countries making 50 different policies. Failure is not only an option, its the only option. Because of that, Ill be doing all kinds of things you probably deem non-essential, Ill just be doing it with a mask on if there are lots of other people around.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:46 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
There is a world of difference between 'panic' and what TurtleCreek is saying, I'm (prospective DFW transplant) with the latter

Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:

If people were only being restricted from going to bars and having parties, there would probably be less resistance.

It's being restricted from making a living that tends to make people tense and restive.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:18 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
My sister works in one of the ICUs. For logistical reasons those floors being full doesn't mean they are full of COVID patients. She has said they have seen a rise though. Not enough for her to freak out.
I'm obviously not an expert in hospital policy and every hospital is different, but from what I've been told, covid floors are generally reserved only for covid patients, which would make sense to me. You wouldnt want to risk putting non covid patients in close proximity with infected patients, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If people were only being restricted from going to bars and having parties, there would probably be less resistance.

It's being restricted from making a living that tends to make people tense and restive.
I totally get that. We own a business that has been severely impacted by all this. It’s going to take a year to recover from the damages we’ve incurred so far, and that’s assuming it’s smooth sailing from here which is not what we’re planning for.

But this is also not a time where you can just carry on like normal and not worry about the collateral damage either. And a lot of people in Dallas are living their lives just like they were in June 2019 and that’s the concerning part to me.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I don't see why bars would be any worse than say, churches. As long as they don't have dance floors open right now.

Also, I don't think it's selfish to want to do "non essential" things, the Coronavirus lockdowns have been going on for 3 months and the fatigue is growing stronger.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
I totally get that. We own a business that has been severely impacted by all this. It’s going to take a year to recover from the damages we’ve incurred so far, and that’s assuming it’s smooth sailing from here which is not what we’re planning for.

But this is also not a time where you can just carry on like normal and not worry about the collateral damage either. And a lot of people in Dallas are living their lives just like they were in June 2019 and that’s the concerning part to me.

I'm in my late 60s and my wife has additional comorbidities. I can't afford to catch this disease or bring it home.

I'm still trying to determine how I'll reopen my portrait studio. I expect that I'll provide masks to clients and their families (of course, they'll have to remove the masks while actually being photographed).

I'll have to remind them of health issues to check before arriving for an appointment and make sure they understand that I'm liberal with rescheduling if they feel ill.

I'll have to have hand sanitizer readily available (which is still a bit of effort to procure).

When I provide a make-up artists, they'll have to have their own practices set, such as wearing a mask and one-time use tools and makeup (which means greater expense).

I'll have to use a proper studio clean-up regimen after each client. I'll have to change my methods of dealing personally with clients during the session because I'll have to be more standoff-ish...which has always been detrimental to the business.

I still don't know how well I can overcome the detriment of my facial expressions being masked, because that's also a large part of doing the job effectively. I'm going to add a lot of videos to my website and online marketing so that people will have a good view of my face and demeanor before arriving at the studio.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
There are a few positive Coronavirus cases among Texans and Cowboys players.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...19-sources-say

I hope they didn't get their parents sick. The parents are the ones that are higher risk for complications.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
If only more people wore masks and made a decent attempt at maintaining six feet of distance, this spike likely wouldn't happen. My gripe isn't so much with people who are moving into normal activities. It's that they don't even care enough about the next guy to wear a mask. I've been in DFW this week (in Southlake now), and I'm blown away by how many people I've seen who aren't wearing masks and are getting weirdly close.

It seems a lot of people think the only thing they need to do is practice good hygiene. That's a start, but this is a respiratory disease. You can easily get it from normal human conversation.

The spike in Texas has shown up in the new case figures and hospitalizations, but it hasn't shown up yet in the death figures. Those are, of course, the last indicators, but I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as it would have been with the same number of hospitalizations a month ago.

The lack of top-down, national coordination on this has been pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas