Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 02:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
would have worked out better for her than running away like a little girl
I hope you are being sarcastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Yeah right, lol. Like she could even reach it's nose much less punch it, and break her fist. Do you know how hard little kids can punch anything? Not very hard.

Not to mention that ALL the adults in the video were running away in terror. Being there in the first place means the adults were lacking in sense. But running away was the smart thing to do. No reason to insult little girls. We were all little once.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
LOL! What?? She IS a little girl. And this is a BISON. They charge head-first. They can weigh up to almost 2,000 pounds. You really expect a 9 year old child to punch a charging bison?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Daughter of...Florida Man!

Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Daughter of...Florida Man!
LOL. It's Yellowstone. It's not a gathering place for the locals.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You are absolutely correct, NVplumber. "My" bison wasn't out in the wild, no head of steam like I said and my Dad was just plain lucky acting on his instinct to save his baby girl. The bison did stop and not trample me but I bet that was because it said "wth was that big fly hitting me??" IDK what Dad did after but he was a smart man, I think he probably raised his arms up to look bigger and yelled at it. Dad was probably lucky it didn't charge him.

My late hubby used to break horses at the family ranch when he was young. It used to amaze me, the stories he told of these nice horses being broken in. I could not equate roaring rage to them.

Love your first hand stories of "the wild west"!

My Dad was an old stock hand from way back. He taught me from a very young age that handling rank stock takes brain power. "You will NEVER win a physical fight with livestock," was a lesson I took to heart early on. Horses, cattle what have you will always win in a pure muscle contest.

Rope and our brains are our best friends. I've been involved to one degree or another in ground and saddle breaking a lot of horses and cattle can be even more fun. A regular old cow that is often well short of the mass and power of a bull can still do some impressive things physically. As can horses.

LOL, nobody with a lick of plain old sense would think they could even hope forlornly to win a slugfest with any livestock animal. Or deer or wild animal as well. I've heard the tales of divers punching large sharks in the nose and backing them off. Personally I'll take their word for it and with a grain of salt. Not something I feel inclined to put to the test.

That 40 pound or so badger I mentioned earlier there is no way I was going to stand my ground and try and fight. Pick em' up...put em' down...come on feet don't fail me now!! LMAO. That critter would have torn me to doll rags without even breaking a light sweat. I've been downstream of a cornered and charging mountain lion as well and I'm really glad my buddy was quick on the trigger and had a shotgun.

It was a cat that had been killing mine and a neighboring places cattle and sheep and we trailed that critter for two days. He wasn't happy with us and it got plumb spooky at the end. I have come to realize that physically we puny humans are very outmatched by just about every animal on the list. We have two choices. Fight or flee, and if there is no choice but to fight without a firearm we will lose. Badly. All tales of Tarzan aside.

How often have we seen Fluffy the house cat tear up their owner who was trying to give him/her a bath? Now THAT can get funny. Now x that by a factor of 20 or better and think about some critter like a mountain lion. I was actually quite amazed at how the top lip twist will stop a horse from fighting. We used that trick a lot working with horses feet. There is a tool called a twitch that uses a loop of rope around the lip and they just turn to putty. Same if you grab right and twist with your hand.

It's not painful. but they sure mellow right out when that is done. That trick is as old as the practice of horsemanship. But I've never seen it done on a loose animal. They were always tethered at the rack or to a snubbing post. I cannot in good conscience recommend punching any animal in the nose or anywhere else trying to defend yourself. That would likely just be the last great act of defiance.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My Dad was an old stock hand from way back. He taught me from a very young age that handling rank stock takes brain power. "You will NEVER win a physical fight with livestock," was a lesson I took to heart early on. Horses, cattle what have you will always win in a pure muscle contest.

Rope and our brains are our best friends. I've been involved to one degree or another in ground and saddle breaking a lot of horses and cattle can be even more fun. A regular old cow that is often well short of the mass and power of a bull can still do some impressive things physically. As can horses.

LOL, nobody with a lick of plain old sense would think they could even hope forlornly to win a slugfest with any livestock animal. Or deer or wild animal as well. I've heard the tales of divers punching large sharks in the nose and backing them off. Personally I'll take their word for it and with a grain of salt. Not something I feel inclined to put to the test.

That 40 pound or so badger I mentioned earlier there is no way I was going to stand my ground and try and fight. Pick em' up...put em' down...come on feet don't fail me now!! LMAO. That critter would have torn me to doll rags without even breaking a light sweat. I've been downstream of a cornered and charging mountain lion as well and I'm really glad my buddy was quick on the trigger and had a shotgun.

It was a cat that had been killing mine and a neighboring places cattle and sheep and we trailed that critter for two days. He wasn't happy with us and it got plumb spooky at the end. I have come to realize that physically we puny humans are very outmatched by just about every animal on the list. We have two choices. Fight or flee, and if there is no choice but to fight without a firearm we will lose. Badly. All tales of Tarzan aside.

How often have we seen Fluffy the house cat tear up their owner who was trying to give him/her a bath? Now THAT can get funny. Now x that by a factor of 20 or better and think about some critter like a mountain lion. I was actually quite amazed at how the top lip twist will stop a horse from fighting. We used that trick a lot working with horses feet. There is a tool called a twitch that uses a loop of rope around the lip and they just turn to putty. Same if you grab right and twist with your hand.

It's not painful. but they sure mellow right out when that is done. That trick is as old as the practice of horsemanship. But I've never seen it done on a loose animal. They were always tethered at the rack or to a snubbing post. I cannot in good conscience recommend punching any animal in the nose or anywhere else trying to defend yourself. That would likely just be the last great act of defiance.

i can't upvote you again, but everything you have said is right on. And you are a great story teller, thanks.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Great story tamiznluv. You have a really good ready made excuse for just about anything.
Quote:
i can't upvote you again, but everything you have said is right on. And you are a great story teller, thanks.
Hmmmmmm.....

Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Great story tamiznluv. You have a really good ready made excuse for just about anything.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Hmmmmmm.....

Sigh, what are you humming about?

1) Having been thrown violently around as a child, if you have any physical issues as you age you can easily point back to being tossed around by the bison, and everybody should understand. They will automatically say "Oh you poor thing". It's a great ready made excuse for anything that might come up, lol. That is a good thing.

2)What's the problem with my second comment? I had already repped him recently so couldn't do it again so soon. So I complimented him with my comment. What is wrong with that?

I love it when people tell their stories, and I thanked you both. Is that bad?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
While your advice is somewhat sound in theory putting that into practice takes serious know how and no small degree of guts to pull off successfully.
And luck and timing. If a mountain lion has pounced on you from behind and is clamping onto your neck, what are your chances of punching it in the nose?
Quote:
I don't think they would even notice getting punched by a measly human. And big bears? Forget it. That would just pi$$ them off even more.
History is full of examples of grizzly bears being shot multiple times and not slowing down at all. In fact, people have shot at a grizzly from a distance with the only result being that the grizzly, who previously had shown no interest, was now charging them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events