Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 06:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It happens, she wandered off for a second. No one is arriving at Yelliowstone thinking they are in a dangerous place where you have to clutch children’s hands at all times and being in guard. I think many interpret the animals as not likely dangerous just by the fact they let people there around them at all without any barriers. I think judging by the crowd many people think this. These people just didn’t know any better than any of the others, but they are not uniquely stupid or incompetent to be parents because of the way they i terprted the entire situation. I also think they didn’t give it that much thought, things happen very quickly and it’s very easy to Monday morning quarterback.
A Bison is roughly 900-2,000 pounds one would think that if it’s coming towards you even slowly you would get out of the way. In the video they can move pretty fast considering how big they are. Here’s a question.
We’re those her parents that took off just before the Bison charged? There is probably no way to know for sure but it does seem like IF that’s them, they were more Concerned about themselves then the little girl.

The NPS website has rules.

Never approach animals. The animals in Yellowstone are wild and unpredictable, no matter how calm they appear to be. The safest (and often best) view of wildlife is from inside a car. Always stay at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves, and at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all other animals, including bison and elk.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/safety.htm

Again cartoons/Disney is to blame to some extent here. There are some people who don’t feel the rules apply to them. Like stop signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 06:06 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Her parents need to be arrested for child endangerment!
Guessing you eat snowflakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
YES. I too truly think cartoons are a lot to blame for it.
Blame it all on cartoons?

Please don't ever have kids.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:48 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
A Bison is roughly 900-2,000 pounds one would think that if it’s coming towards you even slowly you would get out of the way. In the video they can move pretty fast considering how big they are. Here’s a question.
We’re those her parents that took off just before the Bison charged? There is probably no way to know for sure but it does seem like IF that’s them, they were more Concerned about themselves then the little girl.

Never approach animals. The animals in Yellowstone are wild and unpredictable, no matter how calm they appear to be. The safest (and often best) view of wildlife is from inside a car. Always stay at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves, and at least 25 yards (23 m) away from all other animals, including bison and elk.

Again cartoons/Disney is to blame to some extent here. There are some people who don’t feel the rules apply to them. Like stop signs.
For the record these are "concepts" not rules. Basically they are suggestions. There is a list of regulations there too. But that is not in the regulations, per say.

Quote:
We can’t guarantee your safety in Yellowstone, but these concepts will help you avoid the most common accidents. See below for more great advice, and be sure to review our Rules & Regulations, Laws & Policies, and tips for backcountry travel.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
It happens, she wandered off for a second. No one is arriving at Yelliowstone thinking they are in a dangerous place where you have to clutch children’s hands at all times and being in guard.
Then they are idiots. The whole point of visiting Yellowstone is to view its thermal features (dangerous) and wild animals (dangerous). And they are given literature which TELLS them of these dangers if they aren’t bright enough to anticipate those threats on their own.

Yellowstone isn’t Disneyland.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

Disney is not to blame that’s ridiculous. I guess people who grew up in the 60’s and 70’s think that coyotes actually carry dynamite too, right?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Disney is not to blame that’s ridiculous. I guess people who grew up in the 60’s and 70’s think that coyotes actually carry dynamite too, right?
I think your missing my point.

Disney has romanticized animals in their movies, shows, etc To the point where people don’t see animals as being dangerous .

Old 08-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
For the record these are "concepts" not rules. Basically they are suggestions. There is a list of regulations there too. But that is not in the regulations, per say.
No those are the rules hence the word rules

Yellowstone’s scenic wonders are sure to take your breath away: don’t let them take your life. From boiling hot springs to thousands of wild animals, some of the hazards in Yellowstone will be new to you. Protect yourself and the sights you plan to enjoy by following a few simple rules:

The FIRST rule is:

Old 08-05-2019, 07:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:

Disney has romanticized animals in their movies, shows, etc To the point where people don’t see animals as being dangerous .
\

Dr. Dolittle and walk with the animals; they never mention that the animals do not want us to walk with them! Just because humans love animals does not mean that love is returned; unless we are talking about animals that would love to eat us!

In 2002 my wife and I were out to Yellowstone. We were on the boardwalk and we did have a bison about 100 feet away. I can understand that some people would think that the Park put up the boardwalks so that visitors would be safe and away from the wildlife. But, being on a boardwalk, does not guarantee one's safety. A few days after we left the Park we heard of a man that was gored by a bison in just about the same place we encountered the one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

I don't think there's a connection. People were able to handle "Gentle Ben" without thinking they can go up to bears, and Born Free without thinking they can befriend a wild lion. I think this family was just a typical tourist family whose kid wandered off for a second and went to go see what a large crowd of people were doing. No, it wasn't the brightest move on anyone's part, but they aren't simpletons who thought that much differently than anyone else in the park that day. They are just the ones whose kid got thrown that day. I also don't think most people see bison as the same category as lions or other wild animals, they appear to be while not tame, they don't look like an animal that will charge out of the blue. Again was the family ignorant of the dangers? Yes. Are they idiots who deserve to be browbeaten all over social media? Not IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events